Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

12-28-2007

USA

6 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 1 of 15

ThinkPad X61 Tablet 7764CTO - System becomes unresponsive intermittently while on battery

2008-01-17, 4:57 AM
 My partner and I both picked up these tablets a couple weeks ago and are both experiencing this same problem quite often. Other than this problem the tablet itself has performed pretty well.

Problem: While on battery the system will become unresponsive at random times, up to once or twice an hour. There is no bluescreen and the mouse cursor will still follow the pen (though the cursor is an hourglass equivalent) but the system is hung and never becomes responsive. The system doesn't respond to key presses or clicks from either the keyboard or the tablet buttons. "Crtl+Alt+Delete" via either the keyboard or the tablet hardware button do nothing in this situation. A hard boot is necessary to recover.

This problem happens nearly once or twice a day, depending on how much time I spend on battery power. It happens to both my partners machine and mine with the exact same symptoms.

All BIOS and driver updates have been applied via the ThinkVantage System Update process. We are still using the factory image (Vista) with only typical office applications running (mostly Office 2007.) The hang happens most often for me in (but not limited to) OneNote 2007 but I do tend to happen be using that most often while on battery.

Any tips, support, etc. would be great. Thanks.

Options

22 Posts

01-14-2008

sacramento, ca

24 Signins

294 Page Views

• Views: 294
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: ThinkPad X61 Tablet 7764CTO - System becomes unresponsive intermittently while on battery

2008-01-17, 17:30 PM
i experience the same problem with my laptop as well.. what is the configuration of your laptop? the ram, etc... for my laptop, the system update by lenovo does not install some drivers, so instead it is a good idea to do manual download of the latest drivers (e.g. intel turbo memory <<if you have this option>>)...the hang up (freeze) might be due to the fact that your CPU is processing at a high rate constantly and may lead to the hard drive hanging up.
Thinkpad X61: 7675-CTO, T7500 NV, 1GB RAM, 120 HDD, 1GB Turbo Memory, VIsta Business
Options

8 Posts

12-28-2007

USA

6 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 3 of 15

Re: ThinkPad X61 Tablet 7764CTO - System becomes unresponsive intermittently while on battery

2008-01-21, 21:27 PM
 Both our systems have the 1.6 GHz processor, 2G RAM, the 100G 7200 rpm HD, 1G Turbo RAM.

From watching the same problem happen over and over it seems to me that it may be related to something like the security sub-system and possibly something like the integrated fingerprint software responding poorly to a system error caused in an application. It looks like OneNote or some other application (often OneNote) locks up and hangs. On a desktop system this would result in the "Application has become unresponsive." message and/or you would be able to bring up the task manger to terminate the offending application. On this machine it seems that when that process is trying to start that something in the system hangs up and won't even allow the security sub-system to invoke (ctrl+alt+del does nothing.)

This is still happening on a daily basis. Last Thursday in another executive meeting with a major drug company and again today just prior to my writing this update. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Options

43 Posts

01-07-2008

Japan

74 Signins

683 Page Views

• Views: 683
  • Message 4 of 15

2008-01-24, 10:31 AM
I had the same problem with my X60T a while back... the computer just hang for a while and was noticing the HD trashing like hell. As I had 2GB RAM, I did not think it was normal..

It was solved by downgrading to Windows XP.
I cannot say if VISTA was the problem or if just re-installing a fresh system was solution, but you can always try if you have nothing else to do.

Ballallaz
Options

2 Posts

01-25-2008

El Cerrito, CA

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 5 of 15

2008-01-25, 22:30 PM
I just want to add another voice here. I have a very similar problem.

My X61 tablet is is a 7767-96U. I have 4 GB memory installed, 3GB memory available to applications I also have the 100GB hardrive and the 1GB Turbo RAM.

I am a full-time student so you can imagine what a sacrifice it was to spend the extra money to get the tablet. However, it has done almost everything I hoped a tablet would do. I carry around less weight in the form of books because mine are all in PDF. I take all my notes in OneNote and the notes, plus full color diagrams are easy to draw and easily available. I am a HUGE advocate of the tablet PC. I simply love it.

Now that I'm done enthusing, I'm beginning to become quite pissed about certain "features" of my Lenovo laptop. My tablet is on battery for the bulk of the day as I walk from class to class. In addition, I put it to sleep about once per hour. As I said above I use OneNote most of the time often with a PDF open in Acrobat Reader in the background and sometimes running Outlook at the same time.

Several times during the day, at varying intervals, my system will almost completely hang. Today, this happened once per class so about once an hour. One or more applications, usually OneNote, sometimes Outlook or Reader, will stop responding to input and the "hourglass" will appear. At first, I can switch to and use other applications. However, if I try to "kill" OneNote or even Ctrl-Alt-Del either through the keyboard or through the tablet button or if I right click and "Close" via the Taskbar entry, the entire system eventually locks. Today alone, I had to hold the power button until the laptop powered down and restart. This takes enough time that I am missing important notes during class.

I too recently applied any back-dated patches to my machine including all optional and recommended updates.

I can't stress enough how critical an issue this is for me. It is getting to the point that the laptop is preventing me from doing the work for which I bought it.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Options

27 Posts

01-07-2008

USA

25 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 6 of 15

2008-01-26, 5:29 AM
I would suggest using hibernate instead of sleep.

Also I have a similar set-up. Vista does utilize 4 gigs of ram even if only 3 show up. It is stated in the following article from MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765/en-us?spid=11707

I had some issues with the way my computer was performing and I did a fresh install of vista. There is a great article I followed step by step. There were a few variations when it came to downloading drivers b/c they didnt have a tablet pc. Basically I minimized the number of thinkvantage programs running. The performance and battery life of my laptop has improved greatly. I have no issues with it freezing or anything. Here is the article.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783

Read the article completely if you decide to do the fresh install. Also the posts in the article answered a lot of questions I had. For example. You can use any vista installation disk as long as you copy your product key for vista as instructed. In any case. I would suggest doing a fresh install. Also the author suggests that you load any non-essential thinkvantage programs one at a time so you can see how it affects your computer.

I actually bought a new HDD so I would have all my files just in case.

Hope this helps.

Note from Moderator:  Converted to clickable link.

Message Edited by nonny on 01-26-2008 12:53 AM
Options

2 Posts

01-29-2008

CT

7 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 7 of 15

2008-01-29, 18:16 PM
I believe I had the same problem.  After doing a bunch of searches on Google.com, I found a solution and have not had a lock-up since.

The way I understood it was that there was some sort of syncing either with the TurboRAM and the Hard Drive or the interaction with the TurboRAM and the Active Shock Protection offered by Thinkvantage.  When the laptop moves, the active shock pauses the seek head of the HD which is shown by two yellow bars on a cylinder in your system tray and causes something to go wrong.  Whatever it may be, the result is that the computer was stuck in some sort of infinite loop and only a hard reboot was able to fix it.

Enough of the theories... here's how I solved the problem.
1.  Under Vista's Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options, I went to "Change Plan Settings" (for whichever setting you're on).
2.  Click on "Change advanced power settings"
3. Expand the "Hard disk" tree branch
4. Expand the "Windows Hybrid Hard Disk Power Savings Mode"  (I don't really understand what this is but it's a Vista 'feature')
5. Change the "On battery" field to "Disabled"

I did this for all the power settings available on my computer and now whenever I'm on battery, it hasn't been a problem.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Austin

P.S. If this works for you, please write a post back on this thread.  I'll be interested in seeing if it solves your freezing problem.

Message Edited by Fredo0709 on 01-29-2008 01:35 PM
Options

2 Posts

01-25-2008

El Cerrito, CA

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 8 of 15

2008-01-29, 20:55 PM
Quick update...

The reinstall was the key. I'm in class right now and have had *no* trouble for 3 days. Dump the Think Vantage stuff!

J

-- 2008/03/18 update --
It's amazing. When I first received my laptop from Lenovo, I was worried that I had made a huge mistake. The battery wouldn't last, it wouldn't come back from sleep, and it was locking up almost every hour. I am a full time student and  use the laptop literally all day long as both a notetaking apparatus and as my textbook.

Since then, I performed the reinstall, bought the extended battery, and installed a screen protector. I walk around campus (UC Berkeley) with my laptop in sleep mode and wake it up when I enter a classroom. It restores nearly instantly (I have the flash option, I think this helps ???) and picks up one of the many wireless networks on campus. I use OneNote for taking notes with the stylus. Professors now distribute their lecture notes in PPT/PDF before class. I print them to the OneNote drive and write right on top of them with the stylus. Sometimes, I use the OneNote feature to record the lecture also but not often.

Now that my machine is stable, I absolutely love it. In fact, I am rapidly becoming the envy of the other students and of my professional friends.

Thanks to all on the forum for their informative posts. If the folks at Lenovo are reading these forums, I cannot stress enough how helpful it would be to cease the installation of superfluous software ranging from unnecessary and unstable device drivers to time-bomb versions of commercial software. I consider myself relatively tech-savvy and was shocked at how much effort and technical skill it required to make an expensive piece of equipment useable. Imagine what is required for those who possess less technical skill than I. Imagine how much better a reputation lenovo laptops would have in general if they worked out of the box as well as mine does now after many days of tweaking and tuning.

Message Edited by Tobukemi on 03-18-2008 10:24 AM
Options

2 Posts

01-29-2008

CT

7 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 9 of 15

2008-01-30, 5:30 AM
Just out of curiosity, when you did a re-install, did you install the active shock protection part of thinkvantage software?
Options

27 Posts

01-07-2008

USA

25 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 10 of 15

2008-01-30, 15:30 PM
When I did my reinstall i did install the active shock protection because you need it for active rotate. I however turned the sensitivity wayyyy down, b/c I like to do the crosswords on the bus. I havent had a problem since.

Soo just to say the Thinkvantage programs I have installed are  the battery driver, the fingerprint driver, the tablet button driver, (any thinkvantage drivers that are required) and I do have system updates b/c I like to see what drivers are new and suggested by lenovo. i ususally go find them my self and install them though. Thats what i can find and remember.

Message Edited by cheesse on 01-30-2008 07:33 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms