04-17-2013

usa

171 Signins

949 Page Views

• Views: 949
  • Message 11 of 194

Re: Touch screen and pen/stylus stop working - Helix

2013-05-03, 16:47 PM

The bamboo stylus is for screens without digitizers. I wouldn't use that with a helix.

Options

26 Posts

04-30-2013

paris

46 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 12 of 194

2013-05-03, 17:48 PM
The feel one is for wacom active
Digitizers :
http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/products/bamboo/bamboo-stylus/bamboo-stylus-feel/550
Options

18 Posts

04-17-2013

usa

171 Signins

949 Page Views

• Views: 949
  • Message 13 of 194

2013-05-03, 19:15 PM

Hadn't heard about that one.  The one that comes with the helix is pretty crappy - too small and nearly impossible to click the button. In fact all of the buttons that aren't on the keyboard suck, they're all recessed or flush which make them nearly impossible to press without looking first or using your fingernail.

Options

35 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 14 of 194

2013-05-03, 19:39 PM

The Helix uses the Wacom drivers. That means you can use the stylus/pen that comes with the Helix and lives in a housing in the tablet part, or you can use any Wacom “Penabled” pen. I find the Lenovo-supplied pen to be too skinny for comfort, and the button is flush, making it hard to press. It also does not have a built-in eraser (a minus in my book because I’m a sloppy writer and erase a lot). On the plus side, there are lots of alternatives out there. The stylus I bought for my Latitude 10 works fine (Dell part number 332-0102). I also bought a Wacom “Penabled Tablet PC Eraser Pen (Mfg. Part#: UP710E). It’s identical to the Dell except it’s grey and has no clip. Lenovo does not supply spare nibs. If you write a lot you’ll need a new nib sooner or later. My favourite is the Wacom “Hard Felt” nib (Wacom SKU ACK20003). It’s hard to find, but writes beautifully. One problem I’ve run into is the fact that you can’t use another pen if the Lenovo pen is fully inside its housing. If there’s a setting to turn this off, please let me know! It’s a hassle to have to pull the Lenovo pen out to be able to use mine.

Options

44 Posts

04-19-2013

Texas

42 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 15 of 194

2013-05-03, 20:45 PM

Any updates on this?

I am experiencing this issue as well. Please fix!

Options

1 Posts

05-06-2013

Chicago, IL

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 16 of 194

2013-05-06, 18:09 PM

Just got this Helix for a test-drive and I'm already having problems with the stylus/touch.  I can't quite tell why, but after working with computer as a tablet for a while, the touch turns off.  Then, if I pull the stylus out of the pocket 1/2 inch or so, the touch turns back on, then about 30 seconds later it goes off.  Then, if you pop the stylus back into the slot all the way, the touch screen is fine again for several minutes.  Over and over, i'm finding the interplay between touch and stylus to be a bit quirky.  Maybe it's the machine i got or maybe it's a general problem.

Options

46 Posts

04-26-2013

United States

71 Signins

352 Page Views

• Views: 352
  • Message 17 of 194

2013-05-06, 19:16 PM

I'll second how much the buttons on the tablet are horrible.  You have to fish around for all of them except the power button. Often I hit lock rotation instead of the volume rocker.  Thinking about finding some sort of substance to put on there to make the rocker stick out a bit more. 

Unfortunatley for your main issue, I am not having the problem and I use the handwriting to text in one note throughout the day.  I am still amazed it can read my chicken scratch handwriting.  I do have a problem with the button on there though, as it often gets clicked when trying to write since its small and too easy to click.

Options

11 Posts

04-29-2013

CH

23 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 18 of 194

2013-05-08, 6:39 AM

wrote:

Just got this Helix for a test-drive and I'm already having problems with the stylus/touch.  I can't quite tell why, but after working with computer as a tablet for a while, the touch turns off.  Then, if I pull the stylus out of the pocket 1/2 inch or so, the touch turns back on, then about 30 seconds later it goes off.  Then, if you pop the stylus back into the slot all the way, the touch screen is fine again for several minutes.  Over and over, i'm finding the interplay between touch and stylus to be a bit quirky.  Maybe it's the machine i got or maybe it's a general problem.

I have had the exact problem with the touchscreen not working without fiddling with the pen in the socket (put it in, take it out, touch it etc).

Do you have the task bar on the left hand side?

I've had diffiuclties with the digitizer, can't use the bottom or right of the screen for example.  I'm wondering if still detects that the pen is near it.

If I see the problem again I'll be trying the task bar on the right side.  If that doesn't help I have to assume a broken switch in the pen holder / bad digitzer.  

Neither of which is good on a 2500 chf machine, especially one with what seems to be a warped tablet or base (still have to measure that).

Options

35 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 19 of 194

2013-05-14, 20:39 PM

I'm getting closer to a diagnosis that others can check. See the original post in this thread for the context.

If you're experiencing this problem (e.g., you're using OneNote, then all of a suddent the pen stills works, but finger touch does not), then try pushing the stylus all the way into the housing and pulling it out again. This "fixes" the problem for me every time (but it's still completely unusable because I have to perform this action every couple minutes as I'm taking notes).

This is clearly a Helix problem rather than a general Windows 8 tablet problem. I don't have this issue on my Dell Latitude 10 (which does not have a built-in stylus). It looks like the sensor in the Helix's pen silo is the culprit.

Can anyone else confirm this? A solution would be to disable the sensor in the pen silo. This might solve this problem (and would also solve another one I have, which is that I have to pull the Helix pen out of the silo in order to use the pen I prefer to use). In another part of the forum I read a casual comment that suggested disabling the sensor was possible, but the person never explained how.

Options

10 Posts

05-15-2013

China

37 Signins

149 Page Views

• Views: 149
  • Message 20 of 194

2013-05-15, 0:14 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say that I also am having this problem. Putting the pen back in and then removing it seems to do the trick, but like you I also find this incredibly annoying! I've also found that without putting the pen back in, I can sometimes try to do other things and come back to the program will help. example:

Working in OneNote and touch input goes away, I continue working but only with pen input, touch randomly comes back.
ex2.
Working in OneNote and touch goes away; I hit the windows button on the bottom and come back to OneNote. I would say 50% of the time all of a sudden touch input is registered and seems to work (briefly) i've even noticed that sometimes it's trying to catch up with the past input and will scroll or zoon or whatever I was trying to do but a lot of it.

Hope this helps and I hope we see a solution soon!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete