37 Signins

149 Page Views

• Views: 149
  • Message 31 of 194

Re: Touch screen and pen/stylus stop working - Helix

2013-05-24, 7:33 AM

wrote:

All,

Interesting discussion and glad to see that some of you have also contacted support.

Could you all continue the discussion and help us build a clearer picture of what is going on?  Reading through this, I'm trying to get a consensus view of:

1) Applications where this occurs (are there apps in common to all) and does it ever happen in just the os?

2) Pens used - Lenovo vs 3rd party pens.

3) Methods to reset - does putting the pen back in and taking it back out reset for everyone?  (bloggs had theory about pen sensor).

Lot of great observations - it will help to create a clearer picture if we try to confirm what is common for everyone on this thread.

Thanks

Mark

1) Happens in all applicatoins (OS wide).

2) Happens if I'm using the stock pen or the pen from my HP 2730p.

3) Putting the pen back in and pulling out is only a temporary reset. It happens soon thereafter (few minutes). Only a reset truly makes it go away for a while. But it seems to be very routine in coming back. Maybe an hour of use... sometimes less.

This is really a shame. Between this and the heat problems, I'm truly torn on what to do with this machine....

Options

35 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 32 of 194

2013-05-25, 21:33 PM

wrote:

All,

Interesting discussion and glad to see that some of you have also contacted support.

Could you all continue the discussion and help us build a clearer picture of what is going on?  Reading through this, I'm trying to get a consensus view of:

1) Applications where this occurs (are there apps in common to all) and does it ever happen in just the os?

2) Pens used - Lenovo vs 3rd party pens.

3) Methods to reset - does putting the pen back in and taking it back out reset for everyone?  (bloggs had theory about pen sensor).

Lot of great observations - it will help to create a clearer picture if we try to confirm what is common for everyone on this thread.

Thanks

Mark

1) Seems to be system wide, but I notice it all the time in One Note 2013 because that's where I use the pen the most.

2) I'm using a Wacom penabled pen, but that doesn't matter; it's the same with the Lenovo pen

3) NEW INFORMATION:

(a) I commented earlier that removing and inserting the Lenovo pen sometimes cleared it up. In the end I took the Lenovo pen out of the silo and tossed it in my bag. That seemed to improve things, but see below.

(b) I then found and installed the new Wacom driver. TABLET PC – Enhanced Tablet Driver 7.1.1-12

This is a good news/bad news scanario. The good news is between the Wacom driver and leaving the Lenovo pen out of the silo, the problem I started this thread with disappears completely -- as in I never had it again. The bad news is that the Wacom driver has terrible calibration. It introduces its own calibration system, with only 4 points, and it does not work. There is no point on the screen where the pen starts inking close to where you press -- and sometimes it's off by 5 mm or more. It's completely unusable.

I uninstalled the Wacom driver and am back to more accurate calibration, but constant loss of touch functionality. Closing OneNote and opening always clears it up -- but that makes inking a pain.

So the decision seems to be this: either you have inaccurate inking where pen and touch both work fine, or you have accurate inking where you constantly lose touch and have to restart the application.

Needless to say, this is completely unacceptable for a machine that costs over $2,000. Lenovo: if Microsoft won't write a proper pen driver, then you need to get on the case -- or you're going to wipe out the case for tablet computing!

Options

26 Posts

04-30-2013

paris

46 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 33 of 194

2013-05-25, 22:42 PM
Hi I confirm the issue in the end is only in onenote.... Which bad luck is what i use more.
Closing and reopening onenote always solves the issue I guess it is a ms issue
Options

10 Posts

05-15-2013

China

37 Signins

149 Page Views

• Views: 149
  • Message 34 of 194

2013-05-29, 14:10 PM
It also happens to me in Grahl's PDF annotator as well as OneNote.
Options

35 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Message 35 of 194

2013-05-29, 23:44 PM

UPDATE:

After endless frustration trying to calibrate I took the extreme measure of starting fresh. If you're having the problem discussed in this thread,I suggest you bite the bullet and do that. Here are a few tips:

* Perform a factory restore to get back to a clean system

* Install the Wacom driver (ISD_DualTouch_711-12). Make sure to pull the Lenovo pen out of the silo when you're installing; failure to do that results in the problem described elsewhere where the pen is locked into the top-left corner. Note: I tossed the Lenovo pen in my laptop bag and use one with an eraser.

* Do not calibrate! I tried calibrate using the Wacom driver and it got worse; rolling back to uncalibrated was much better

* In the Wacom driver (access via Control Panel) there are adjustments for pen and eraser "softness". Playing with those is safe and produces good improvements. I now have a nice light touch for both pen and eraser.

* Re-install your programs

Pen accuracy is now quite acceptable for hand writing notes (which is what I use it for). The take-away for me is that the more I tried to calibrate, the worse it got. I tried the various "100 point" and "273 point" systems described in other places, and they didn't work (and just messed things up so I had to re-install).

Good luck

Options

11 Posts

05-09-2013

Kansas City

39 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 36 of 194

2013-06-05, 15:23 PM

Exact same issue for me.  I'm at a Microsoft conference with my new Helix and several times a day (usually when using OneNote) I lose the touch ability.  Putting the pen back in the holder will re-enable pen access for about 10 seconds and then I lose it again.  Rebooting is about the best way I've seen to restore it.

Very frustrating.....  I've not tried the Wacom driver version listed in this thread I feel like Lenovo needs to step up and fix the problem.

Options

35 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Message 37 of 194

2013-06-05, 21:49 PM

Sad to say that between the post I made just above about how the Wacom driver "solved" this problem and now, it's gone south again. So sorry bmammen, don't count on the Wacom driver doing anything. What a giant pain.

I've started a new thread called "Helix: give up hope or get a replacement?" This problem is one of several I've been having -- two of which are deal breakers. It will be interesting to see if this (and the USB power problem I've also raised) are limited to just a few people, or are part of a package of deep design flaws. Please comment in the new thread. if you have thoughts.

wrote:

Exact same issue for me.  I'm at a Microsoft conference with my new Helix and several times a day (usually when using OneNote) I lose the touch ability.  Putting the pen back in the holder will re-enable pen access for about 10 seconds and then I lose it again.  Rebooting is about the best way I've seen to restore it.

Very frustrating.....  I've not tried the Wacom driver version listed in this thread I feel like Lenovo needs to step up and fix the problem.

Options

35 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Message 38 of 194

2013-06-06, 14:20 PM

BMAMMEN: Can you try something if it happens again? I've just been taking some notes and it locked up again. The pen still works, but finger-touch does not work.... EXCEPT in two ways:

1. When I touch the screen with my finger, I can see the "bubble" that signifies touch (a pale circle appears briefly where you touched to show you where you touched).

2. Finger-touches have no effect except in one place! Try touching the time and date in your taskbar. I have mine set to always be displayed on top of other programs, and to show the time and date. When I touch the time/date area in the taskbar, the clock and calendar appear. Nothing happens when I then touch the clock/calendar, but I can make it disappear by touch the taskbar in that spot again.

Are you seeing the same kind of behaviour?

wrote:

Options

114 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 39 of 194

2013-06-06, 14:38 PM

wrote:

I had an issue where my helix pen input was only registering across a 2cm square in the top left corner. Reboots didn't fix it, resetting calibration didn't fix it. Funnily enough after restarting the service it's now working even after rebooting several times.

Wacom ISD Service is the one I restarted.

Very helpful, thank you! It works for me and avoids the pain of rebooting (which used to work for me). For me the issue was the pen only registering in the top left and top right corners, whatever the location actually touched. It seemed to appear after sleep or hibernation modes, but not sure about fthe reproductibility.

As a temporary workaround, would it be possible to automatically restart the service when the pen is pulled from its silo, with a script?

Options

11 Posts

05-09-2013

Kansas City

39 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 40 of 194

2013-06-09, 18:15 PM

So I've tried to look for commonalities associated with the problem and unfortunately it's really random.  I can say that it's always occurred for me while using OneNote, and the touch will always return completely on a reboot.  Re-inserting the pen into it's silo brings back the touch functionality for approx. 10 seconds.  When the touch feature isn't working I don't see a bubble while touching my finger to the screen and there isn't any part that's active for finger touch.   Occasionally closing OneNote and re-opening it will get it working for a few seconds, also going into the Metro interface and back.

This can't be that hard for Lenovo to figure out and is extremely frustrating for someone who's lived in OneNote for the better part of a decade.  I'm assuming it happens in other situations while using the stylus, but I've not verified.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete