Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

39 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 51 of 194

Re: Touch screen and pen/stylus stop working - Helix

2013-06-11, 21:56 PM
Hi Aaron,
I'm using that same Wacom driver and BIOS 1.14. Machine is fully updated.
The Lenovo pen is not involved; it's too thin to be comfortable and lacks an eraser, so it resides in my bag as a backup. The pen I'm using is a Wacom "penabled" pen. Please note that before someone suggests that it's the Wacom pen, the problem occurs with the Lenovo pen too.
Steps to reproduce with 100% consistency:
1. Turn it on
2. Use it (in my case with OneNote 2013)
To "fix" the problem, I shut down and re-start.

wrote:

I'm currently attempting to reproduce this issue in one of our labs. 

Here is what I'm using:

Wacom Driver: 7.1.1-12

BIOS: 1.14

EC: 1.17

MPU: 1.14

All TVSU updates as of 6/11/13

Here are the steps I've taken to get anything that resembles this issue:

1. Turn on Helix

2. Remove Pen

3. Put Pen back into holder

4. Put computer to sleep

5. Wake up 

6. Remove Pen and attempt to use

At this point I cannot use the pen unless I wait approximately 30 seconds. Then it works fine. Re-inserting the pen and removing does not resolve the issue. 

I've tried using pdf annotator and just general use of the pen and have not had any problems so far. 

I've read this entire thread several times and I've tried most of the suggestions. I'll try it with OneNote tomorrow if I get a chance. If any of you can give more exact steps on how you run into this issue, it would be much appreciated. 

Options

13 Posts

05-18-2013

San Francisco

19 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 52 of 194

2013-06-11, 22:18 PM

I have the same problems, and they desperately need to be fixed. I don't have steps to reproduce exactly, but what I have noticed is:

1) It's nothing to do with OneNote - I don't use it. Or at any rate, using OneNote is not necessary to produce the problem.

2) When I first boot the machine, everything works just fine for some period - could be several hours, could be a few minutes - then things go wrong. In particular, touch response goes away completely, and only comes back intermittently (putting the pen back and removing it always seems to help, but only for a few seconds at a time). The only cure I've found is to reboot the machine. Hibernating or sleeping doesn't help.

3) From time to time, and I don't know if this is related to the loss of touch response or not, the pen stops responding too. I can move the pen around, but there's no pointer. Sometimes it comes back by itself after a few seconds, or else manually moving the mouse pointer with any of the on-keyboard controls gives me back pen control again.

4) The loss of pen response seems to be highly, but not 100%, correlated with windows opening on the screen. In particular, when the Windows User Account Control window pops up, asking me if I really want to take whatever action I just asked to take, I'd estimate that 1 in 3 times I lose pen control at the moment the window pops up.

I planned to use this machine for teaching, but the combination of no pen and no touch doesn't make using this as a tablet in front of 65 people very appealing!

These problems *really* hurt the usefulness of the machine - because I can't trust it as a tablet, right now I just use it as a (very expensive) laptop while I consider whether or not to keep it and wait for these problems to be solved. The fact that it's a brand new machine makes me more charitable than I would otherwise be, but these are serious bugs, whether hardware or software I don't know, and I think all of us would appreciate some urgent action to address them.

Options

4 Posts

06-12-2013

Canada

26 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 53 of 194

2013-06-12, 17:02 PM

I have the same problem: losing touch screen response in Windows 8.

It's hard for me to repeat in 5 minutes.  I haven't found a science to it.  It's guaranteed to start acting up in 20 minutes.  It acts up with either OneNote 2010, or with FoxIt PDF reader. 

Can we eliminate OneNote as the culprit?   All we need is one person on this list to say they don't have OneNote installed.  It's a guess, but in my opinion, not using OneNote may be different than not having OneNote installed.  (By default there is some kind of OneNote program that's accessible from the taskbar.)

I can always get a few minutes of touch screen response by docking or undocking the stylus in the silo.  I'm running BIOS 1.14.

Options

12 Posts

05-09-2013

Kansas City

39 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 54 of 194

2013-06-13, 1:08 AM

wrote:

I'm currently attempting to reproduce this issue in one of our labs. 

Here is what I'm using:

Wacom Driver: 7.1.1-12

BIOS: 1.14

EC: 1.17

MPU: 1.14

All TVSU updates as of 6/11/13

Here are the steps I've taken to get anything that resembles this issue:

1. Turn on Helix

2. Remove Pen

3. Put Pen back into holder

4. Put computer to sleep

5. Wake up 

6. Remove Pen and attempt to use

At this point I cannot use the pen unless I wait approximately 30 seconds. Then it works fine. Re-inserting the pen and removing does not resolve the issue. 

I've tried using pdf annotator and just general use of the pen and have not had any problems so far. 

I've read this entire thread several times and I've tried most of the suggestions. I'll try it with OneNote tomorrow if I get a chance. If any of you can give more exact steps on how you run into this issue, it would be much appreciated. 

Any luck replicating the issue?  It happens to me pretty much any time I use the stylus for any length of time, and a reboot is the only thing that truly gets it functioning again.  Very frustrating....

Options

32 Posts

06-07-2013

Morrisville, NC

187 Signins

1750 Page Views

• Views: 1750
  • Message 55 of 194

2013-06-13, 2:28 AM

Thanks for the additional information. I've been unable to reproduce those exact issues. However, we are looking into these and similar issues with the pen, wacom driver, and touch. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow or Friday. I'm sure this is very frustrating.

So far this is what I've been able to consistnetly do:

I've been able to reproduce the pen not working after putting it to sleep (as described earler).

I've also been able to reproduce gettting the pen stuck in the upper left corner while using the 7.1-12 wacom driver.

Options

39 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 56 of 194

2013-06-13, 15:20 PM

Aaron,

Thanks for monitoring this thread. "Frustrating" doesn't begin to describe it. I'm awfully close to putting this thing up for sale and buying a tablet that actually works. For those of us who bought the Helix as a business tool and depend on it every day, this has been a disaster.

I anxiously await some good news about driver updates or whatever it's going to take to salvage the Helix.

wrote:

Thanks for the additional information. I've been unable to reproduce those exact issues. However, we are looking into these and similar issues with the pen, wacom driver, and touch. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow or Friday. I'm sure this is very frustrating.

So far this is what I've been able to consistnetly do:

I've been able to reproduce the pen not working after putting it to sleep (as described earler).

I've also been able to reproduce gettting the pen stuck in the upper left corner while using the 7.1-12 wacom driver.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 57 of 194

2013-06-13, 16:12 PM

Bloggs,

Thanks for your help.  I've received your PM and will follow up there.

All,

It may also help us to see a system that reliably exhibits symptoms discussed here, which Aaron has not yet been able to repro on one of our systems.    It may be fastest if we could work with someone in the US, so I'm looking for a volunteer.  Please PM me if you would be willing to send in your system for us to have a look at.

Thanks

Mark

Options

33 Posts

05-05-2013

Fort Smith, AR

96 Signins

563 Page Views

• Views: 563
  • Message 58 of 194

2013-06-13, 17:56 PM
I really hope that a fix for the upper left corner sticky issue is coming soon. It is really having a negative impact on my office productivity when I have to hunt down the Wacom service and stop it to get it going again.

Also can you please tell us how to disable having to remove the helix pen from the silo when we wish to use a different pen? I find the helix pen that comes with it to be way to small to write properly because no matter how I hold it I end up bumping the button on it.
Options

156 Posts

01-05-2012

Seoul, Korea

500 Signins

3336 Page Views

• Views: 3336
  • Message 59 of 194

2013-06-14, 0:58 AM

The pointer being stuck is mainly beacuse Wacom driver fails to initialize the tablet in the time of startup(since the tablet is turned off)

You can make it working by restarting the tablet service from services.msc, or typing in these commands in command promt with admin previliges, while the pen is out of the silo.

sc stop WTabletServiceISD

wait a few seconds, then insert:

sc start WTabletServiceISD

you can write a batch file to do this as well. remember to use the timeout command to wait for 3~5 seconds in between commands.

This will probably work as a temporary workaround until Lenovo or someone figures out how to resolver this

I've wrote a batch file and an exe that does this, but I can't upload it here because of the forum rules.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You could throw around your ThinkPad because it won't break.
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 60 of 194

2013-06-14, 2:48 AM

Please just paste the content of the batch file here. That is exactly what I was asking a few messages earlier: is it possible to create a script to restart the Wacom service as a temporary workaround? Thank you very much. :)

Now we just have to find a way to launch it automatically when the pen is removed from the silo, or better, when the Helix recovers from a sleep mode or an hibernation. :o

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms