Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

28 Posts

05-14-2008

New York

148 Signins

1546 Page Views

• Views: 1546
  • Message 1 of 5

User profile lost and Client Security Solution is asking for a non existent password

2008-07-09, 15:03 PM

X61 Tablet Vista Business SP1

As of yesterday Client Security Solution (A Lenovo application) is asking for me to enter my Windows password with a dialogue I have never seen before. It correctly states my User name and displays a flashing speach bubble above a symbolic representation of a keyboard. I enter my Windows password (The one I use when the finger print recognition is disowning me) but it claims it is invalid. All other passwords I use don't work either. I don't think I have ever changed the windows password but the dialogue tells me that I recently changed my password.

There is only one user profile on the machine but all applications don't know me. Firefox doesn't have my profile. Skype has lost my groups. Thunderbird has lost all my work mail!!! Palm desktop has discarded all my notes and tasks but strangely still has my address book!!! It as if my user ID has been changed / lost / wiped. The desktop icons are normal and I am logged in as myself. There are no other users. I am on a home office network.

I have been on the road for four weeks so my full backup image is troublingly old. I have a daily backup to Amazon S3 of documents but not something that can necessarily restore this problem whataver it is. I could try rolling back to a check point.

What file / feature is capable of causing this loss of identity symptom? Will uninstalling Client Security Solution fix the problem? I don't really know what role Client Security Solution has. At the moment I have lost several weeks of notes in the Palm Desktop application and am very concerned about the loss of my work email. Thunderbird and skype I can reconfigure if necessary. Mail will take many hours to figure out and to reread / purge after that. At the minute I can't read or write e-mail which is critical for me over the next 24 hours.

Has anybody seen this? How did you fix it? I am very troubled by the loss of my work environment at a random moment like this. How can I prevent this from ever happening again? Would the same problems happen under XP?

Message Edited by hiker on 07-09-2008 08:07 AM
Answer
Options

28 Posts

05-14-2008

New York

148 Signins

1546 Page Views

Re: User profile lost and Client Security Solution is asking for a non existent password

2008-07-14, 0:38 AM

Well the problem was solved by uninstalling Client Security Solution and by restoring a series of files in the Roaming profile from backup. In particular restoring:

Thunderbird prefs.js

Firefox prefs.js and sessionstore.js

Skype config.xml

Fortunately there was a daily automated backup.

The original cause of the problem isn't known but these files were probably open at the time of an uncompleted shutdown or unexpected halt so became corrupted. There is no reason to think that anthing else more drastic happened such as it preferring Local v Roaming. The Roaming profile appears to have always been used. There is no reason to think that Client Security Solutions was anything more than an additional application which fell victim to the event.

Restorring the files restored full functionality to the applications. Presumably reinstalling Client Security Solutions would restore that but I don't plan to.

The Roaming profile is being used in the original Lenovo Vista install possibly because it is Vista Business and it might be expected to be in an enterprise environment where roaming profiles are more likely to be used.

Message Edited by hiker on 07-13-2008 05:42 PM

Replies(4)
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: User profile lost and Client Security Solution is asking for a non existent password

2008-07-09, 15:49 PM

Well it sounds so extreme although I still haven't had this issue (yet)

I think you might take a look at all shadow copy of each folder, for example, go to palm desktop folder, then you will see a folder with you hotsync name. Then right-click at that folder >> Restore previous versions. I think it might have an older version right before this problem for you to restore.

Hope this help.

ps. I'm also using X61 Table with Vista SP1.

Options

28 Posts

05-14-2008

New York

148 Signins

1546 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2008-07-12, 12:33 PM

This problem is related to there being two sets of application data under Vista one within

C:\Users\$user$\AppData\Roaming and one under

C:\Users\$user$\AppData\Local

The OS (Vista Business) had always used Roaming but has switched for some unknown

reason to using Local.

The data is coppied between Roaming and a network drive during logoff and something in that process may have changed with SP1 which would explain the long logoff times. Microsofts design documents (http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/a/3ba6d659-6e39-4cd7-b3a2-9c96482f5353/Managing%20Roaming%20User%20Data%20Deployment%20Guide.doc) talk about 20Mb of data being in Roaming user profiles but with Thunderbird mail in Roaming the amount of data can be several Gb. 

I suspect that shutting down during the prolonged (Over half hour) logoff process after SP1 has in some way corrupted the machines view of what it should be referring to. That is only a guess it may be that there is a single junction or registry entry.

The junctions can be seen by doing dir/ad in C:\Users\$user$ and they are all referring to roaming.

If you have any knowledge on how to control the use of Local v Roaming please do comment.

My variables  %USERNAME%, %USERPROFILE%, %HOMESHARE%, and %HOMEPATH% all look normal.

APPDATA is pointing to C:\Users\$user$\AppData\Roaming so I really can't see how everything is picking up local.

LOCALAPPDATA is pointing to local which sounds right.

There may have been an update or installation that effected this. I will check logs for the 24hrs before the problem but if anybody knows how the use of Local v Roaming is supposed to be controlled in Vista I'm all ears.
Message Edited by hiker on 07-12-2008 06:15 AM
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-07-12, 20:32 PM

As far as I know, Roaming will be used in domain network only. There will be no transfering any file to server (since it's not existed) on workgroup network. And whether to use Local or Roaming is what each application decides we have no control of it.

So, is your profile roaming one?

Answer
Options

28 Posts

05-14-2008

New York

148 Signins

1546 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2008-07-14, 0:38 AM

Well the problem was solved by uninstalling Client Security Solution and by restoring a series of files in the Roaming profile from backup. In particular restoring:

Thunderbird prefs.js

Firefox prefs.js and sessionstore.js

Skype config.xml

Fortunately there was a daily automated backup.

The original cause of the problem isn't known but these files were probably open at the time of an uncompleted shutdown or unexpected halt so became corrupted. There is no reason to think that anthing else more drastic happened such as it preferring Local v Roaming. The Roaming profile appears to have always been used. There is no reason to think that Client Security Solutions was anything more than an additional application which fell victim to the event.

Restorring the files restored full functionality to the applications. Presumably reinstalling Client Security Solutions would restore that but I don't plan to.

The Roaming profile is being used in the original Lenovo Vista install possibly because it is Vista Business and it might be expected to be in an enterprise environment where roaming profiles are more likely to be used.

Message Edited by hiker on 07-13-2008 05:42 PM

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms