Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-28-2008

USA

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 2

Vista Performance on X60 / Downgrade to XP

2008-06-29, 1:01 AM

Hello,

I am considering getting the Lenovo downgrade CD for a Thinkpad X60 tablet that I bought with Vista pre-installed.  I am having performance issues wiith this machine and believe that they are all vista related.  I have tried disabling some of the vista processes / services but with little success. Does anyone have any suggestions that can be made to Vista to get it to perform better (on this machine).

Has anyone tried the downgrade CD for this model?  If so I have the following questions:

1. Can you install the downgrade CD without an external CD Drive.  The x60 has no cd drive (and I dont have a portable one) thus I am limited on how to get the installation data onto the same hard-drive I want to install to. My thoughts were to copy it to the vista recovery partition.
  2. Does the downgrade CD come with a trial version of Office 2007 once XP is installed?  I purchased the Office 2007 that came with Vista as a trial and did not get a CD.  Thus if the recovery CD does not put back Office 2007 as a trial version (that I can activate) I will also ned to get an Office CD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Vista Performance on X60 / Downgrade to XP

2008-06-29, 5:44 AM

Welcome to the forum!

You can't put anything in the Vista's recovery partition. What you need here is a clean install, and that will not be doable without a CD-ROM.

My suggestion would be to borrow a USB DVD-burner and burn a set of Vista Recovery disks, then format the drive and install XP from scratch.

To the best of my knowledge, XP recovery disks do not contain Office trial version, but I might be wrong, so if anyone knows differently for a fact, feel free to correct me.

Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms