Canada

78 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 141 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-13, 20:02 PM
@FreedCandy

Interesting to know that. I was wondering the same, and I thnk it is beneficial for some people.

For example, the model which comes with a built-in 3G/LTE modem is AT&T specific. So the people who do not live in AT&T's coverage area (people like me) could get a model without any WWAN modem and still get the external slot for SIM card. and then they can install a WWAN modem themselves based on their area ( that supports particular frequency band) and get the service from any provider.

That's my initial thought ... what do you say?
Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 142 of 709

2013-04-13, 20:06 PM

That would make a lot of sense to me.

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 143 of 709

2013-04-13, 21:18 PM
Looking for feedback from fellow Helix owners. I have the i7 from PC Connection.

When I'm in laptop mode, the fans are basically running 100% of the time, even at idle when passive is selected in the power options. (looking at CPU usage, it's hovering around zero) While not "loud", it is high pitched and mildly annoying.

The thing is, one time I changed the brightness from the keyboard (raising the brightness) and the fans went to low mode. I happened to have a temperature app running and didn't notice any change (running 40-45C at idle) when they were low. This made me think perhaps the power settings for laptop/tablet mode was quirky. I've not seen a setting for laptop/tablet settings, is it hidden somewhere?

There have also been 2 or 3 times where it was at a low level, but if I remove the tablet portion and then replace it, it goes to high speed mode again and stays that way, even with the display shutting off and idleing.

This happens powered as well as on battery.

I haven't figured out a consistent way to get the fans on low.

In tablet mode, the fan is running as well, but I can't really hear it at all so it doesn't bother me.

Other than this, it's a fantastic PC/laptop/tablet.
Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 144 of 709

2013-04-13, 21:27 PM

Rick,

Mine is also from PC Connection (3698).  In laptop mode my fans also seem to run most of the time and have a high pitched mildly annoying sound.  This seems like the Yoga fan noise redux to me, albeit to a lesser extent (far less obnoxious than on the Yoga but the fans are nevertheless almost always on unnecessarily).  I had two Yogas and returned both.  Along with others, I pleaded with the folks on the Lenovo boards to relay to the dev team that a BIOS fix was in order to adjust the fan threshold.  My understanding is that it eventually was released but wasn't very effective.  I had moved on to the Surface already regardless. 

I can't say I've noticed any linkage to the brightness adjustments but I'll watch out for it and try to observe any correlation on this end over the next few days.

On the whole, I should say that I don't think it's very disruptive.  Yes, certainly the fans shouldn't be on all the time.  As with the Yoga, that's simply not necessary for cooling the machine.  However, as it's not a problem in tablet mode especially, it doesn't bother me as much.  My primary hope is that it isn't a design flaw as with the Yoga.  The ThinkPad line is supposed to be a bit more industrial and, of course, this machine cost $1000 more than the Yoga.  But I'm not suggesting any such flaw at this time; it appears to probably be software based.  Like you said, on the whole the machine is phenomenal and my numerous months of anticipation for a high quality Windows 8 touch-based device--which I always thought was most likely to be the Helix-- don't feel squandered so far.

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 145 of 709

2013-04-13, 21:45 PM

wrote:

Interesting to know that. I was wondering the same, and I thnk it is beneficial for some people.

For example, the model which comes with a built-in 3G/LTE modem is AT&T specific. So the people who do not live in AT&T's coverage area (people like me) could get a model without any WWAN modem and still get the external slot for SIM card. and then they can install a WWAN modem themselves based on their area ( that supports particular frequency band) and get the service from any provider.

That's my initial thought ... what do you say?

That's interesting! Are we sure the 3G/LTE is specific to a given provider? I live in France and 4G is coming (mostly testing now, but it should become real in 2014, with small coverage though) and I was planning to purchase the top model with 4G and GPS as soon as it becomes available, but if the WWAN module offered by Lenovo is not compatible, I'm gonna save some money.

And if the WWAN module can be mounted after purchase, I guess it will void the warranty? If so, if I open the tablet to mount a WWAN module to it, let's change the SSD to a 512 GB one. I had asked the question on http://forum.tabletpcpreview.com, but I see here that someone asked it recently. The SSD into the tablet is like that, anyone knows if it can be changed easily and if a 512 GB would be supported by the motherboard/BIOS?

I'm looking forward to getting any news on global availability of this beast. I could live with a Qwerty one but it would definitely better with the Azerty layout for me, and importing it from the US isn't really a good idea considering fees/customs/warranty issues. :(

Options

19 Posts

04-11-2013

Denmark

204 Signins

624 Page Views

• Views: 624
  • Message 146 of 709

2013-04-13, 21:50 PM

Would you guys think its possible to get around 9 - 10 hrs if it were possible to control the fan speed?

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 147 of 709

2013-04-13, 22:00 PM

wrote:

Rick,

Mine is also from PC Connection (3698).  In laptop mode my fans also seem to run most of the time and have a high pitched mildly annoying sound.  This seems like the Yoga fan noise redux to me, albeit to a lesser extent (far less obnoxious than on the Yoga but the fans are nevertheless almost always on unnecessarily).  I had two Yogas and returned both.  Along with others, I pleaded with the folks on the Lenovo boards to relay to the dev team that a BIOS fix was in order to adjust the fan threshold.  My understanding is that it eventually was released but wasn't very effective.  I had moved on to the Surface already regardless. 

I can't say I've noticed any linkage to the brightness adjustments but I'll watch out for it and try to observe any correlation on this end over the next few days.

On the whole, I should say that I don't think it's very disruptive.  Yes, certainly the fans shouldn't be on all the time.  As with the Yoga, that's simply not necessary for cooling the machine.  However, as it's not a problem in tablet mode especially, it doesn't bother me as much.  My primary hope is that it isn't a design flaw as with the Yoga.  The ThinkPad line is supposed to be a bit more industrial and, of course, this machine cost $1000 more than the Yoga.  But I'm not suggesting any such flaw at this time; it appears to probably be software based.  Like you said, on the whole the machine is phenomenal and my numerous months of anticipation for a high quality Windows 8 touch-based device--which I always thought was most likely to be the Helix-- don't feel squandered so far.

Thanks much for your feedback!

I agree the fan thing isn't a huge deal, especially since it's great in tablet mode.   I was mainly wondering if it was just a config problem with my machine or generic behavior for the Helix.   Sounds like based on your feedback this is the way it operates (or at least the 3698-4RU)

Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 148 of 709

2013-04-13, 23:12 PM

Ah, yeah.  In that case, yeah, it's not just you.  Similar experience on my 3698-4RU. :)  In fact I just took the machine out of sleep when I saw this post and the fans are running with the high-pitched noise and nothing running except IE and standard Windows services (haven't checked temp). But yeah, as mentioned, it's fairly quiet.  [update: the fans did turn off this time after ~5mins -- they automatically come back on when you close & re-open the lid]

Regarding the battery life question, hopefully some other early adopters can weigh in but I'm looking at 7h 38m remaining in laptop mode right now on a ~93% charge on the dock battery (tablet 99%).  This is with 1/3rd or so brightness.  Real world time will tell for how it all shakes out.  I've drained the battery only once thus far and other users here seem to indicate that it improves with use.  I'm guessing that I could squeeze 9+ish out of it right now with judicious use of resources, a bit lower brightness, and perhaps airplane mode.

I also feel I should point out for any other picky users like me that there's some mild backlight bleed on the bottom of the screen. However, you can see this only on boot-up so far -- I can't even replicate it on a black background in Windows.  It's no worse than the bleed I had on my last iPad Mini.  Nothing like what you see on the Zenbooks.

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 149 of 709

2013-04-13, 23:19 PM

Could anyone of your lucky owners of the Helix record a few seconds that "high-pitched" noise, and perhaps, as a comparison and to appreciate the overall noise level, type a few keys on the keyboard? It would also let us know the keyboard noise, by the way. :)

Of course a video would be even better, but hey. :D

Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 150 of 709

2013-04-13, 23:40 PM

Well, unfortunately this isn't my strong suit and I fear this video may be virtually useless (anyone better suited to this task, please intervene), but here's a stab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL21wFh2g_4&feature=youtu.be

Basically, the background noise you hear--besides my excessively speedy typing-- IS the fans.  That's not white noise.  It's not high pitched in the video's audio; just a whirring noise.  As you can probably tell, it's rather reasonable.  The disconcerting aspect is that it's on the vast majority of the time even when CPU utilization is extremely low.

But it's not particularly bothersome.  Just loud enough for you to notice that the fans are usually on.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete