01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 171 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-14, 22:21 PM

This guy did an unboxing of his (also seemingly from PC Connection): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myOihMTGY9w

Options

22 Posts

04-10-2013

US

47 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 172 of 709

2013-04-15, 0:47 AM

Yes. I have a Helix and can verify that pressure sensitivity on the Helix is absent. I have loaded the drivers from Wacom    (that are advertised as providing pressure sensivity for the pen) but neither in Painter nor in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro are there any levels of sensitivity to pen pressure. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, there IS pressure sensitivity in the Windows 8 App Fresh Paint written by Microsoft which works very well. But in legacy programs so far I have not seen any. I am supposed to talk to our rep from PC Connection tomorrow who promised to talk to Lenovo about this. I may have more answers then.

I have also owned a Samsung ATIV 700T convetible tablet for which Samsung must have written drivers because pressure senesitivity DOES work in Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro on that machine. 

As of this writing, I am planning to return the Helix since the main reason I bought it was for drawing. My little Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 right now does a superior job of drawing although the screen resolution is only mediocre. But for ease of use, having the feel of a drawing surface and having a pressure sensitive pen that is very accurate and responsive, it is a far better product for my needs. 

I will wait it out for the improved Win8 device (or maybe other OS) that gets us closer to a high-res, fast and accurate drawing and painting surface with a reasonable height to width ratio. 

Options

83 Posts

03-28-2013

USA

168 Signins

786 Page Views

• Views: 786
  • Message 173 of 709

2013-04-15, 0:57 AM
Right now the note 10.1 and the helix maybe the best out there as a duo. I have both. The big block is win 8. But will work through this.
Options

5 Posts

04-15-2013

United States

46 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 174 of 709

2013-04-15, 1:36 AM

Hello,

Were you able to successfully hook up your MAC monitor to the Helix? I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) and am hoping that the Helix works with it. 

I tried a Surface Pro, but could not get it to work with the monitor, so I returned it.

Thank you for your time.

Options

20 Posts

04-14-2013

Texas

68 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 175 of 709

2013-04-15, 1:44 AM
Before you return it can you tell me how note taking is on the machine? Comparison between the surface pro and the helix? How the build quality is? Any info would be great!!! Better yet do a nice long video with demonstrations! Pretty pretty please!
Options

22 Posts

04-10-2013

US

47 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 176 of 709

2013-04-15, 2:20 AM

To  answer your question, I think note taking is good. But really, note-taking is all about the app rather than the device. The Helix comes with a slick little progrm called Skitch that turns your hand-drawn notes into grapic objects that can be moved around. The stylus is very accurate and easy to use for note-taking. I didn't have One-Note installed so I could not test note-taking with that application. But as I said, personal preference will dictate which note-taking application you use and the Helix's stylus input will likely respond well to any program. 

I personally still prefer the note taking ability of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 since a good deal of thought went into the application and hardware together (the system knows when her pen has been removed from its cradle, for example) . And the Galaxy is lighter and more of a writing appliance than the Helix (but then the Galaxy is not a full-fledged Windows machine either)

Options

18 Posts

03-21-2013

California

238 Signins

682 Page Views

• Views: 682
  • Message 177 of 709

2013-04-15, 2:27 AM

Thank you Tghyatt.  This is a major issue that has the artist community in an uproar about the Surface Pro.  

Tghyatt, can you start a seperate thread about your findings about the lack of pressure sensitivity in the Helix.  I think there needs to be a thread devoted to this issue as it is a huge letdown.  We should have a devoted thread where we can track your and other users findings.

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 178 of 709

2013-04-15, 3:38 AM

wrote:

Hello,

Were you able to successfully hook up your MAC monitor to the Helix? I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) and am hoping that the Helix works with it. 

I tried a Surface Pro, but could not get it to work with the monitor, so I returned it.

Thank you for your time.

The display port plug from the non-thunderbolt 27" Apple Cinema plugs right into the Helix base with no adapter.   Works perfectly!

Options

5 Posts

02-25-2013

US

25 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 179 of 709

2013-04-15, 4:22 AM

Hey Guys,

I have the Helix. I installed the TP Fan Control program and I was just wondering something---- We know that the fans pretty much run non-stop just standard. After installing the program they shut off the fans for the most part until the temp gets up there. So, obviously this is saving power (and eliminating noise which is nice), but I'm wondering if the fact that the program is always running in the backgroud (it's set on S.M.A.R.T) is negating any power savings because I'm assuming its constantly monitoring the temperature. Please, anyone with experience in this area let me know. I love how quiet it is now, and I'm excited for any potential power savings, but I'm unaware of what these fans really pull in power and what it's taking to run the program all the time. Thanks!!

Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 180 of 709

2013-04-15, 9:00 AM

I doubt TPFC uses much battery. Temperature monitoring software is pretty light weight.  I could be wrong but so far, so good over here.  It's a life saver for me either way.  I didn't realize how obnoxious the fans were until I installed TPFC.

Regarding the build quality question, it's excellent.  For context on that opinion, I thought the Yoga's was mediocre-to-good because of its horrendous "glued on" keyboard, clear cost-cutting measure absence of 5GHz WiFi, and general feel.  The Zenbook I tried didn't even come close to being up to snuff, nor did the Samsung Series 9's cheap slab that I owned for some time.  In contrast I thought the Surface Pro had excellent build quality while its Type Cover felt rather cheap.  In my opinion the Surface Pro (tablet mode, not the Type Cover) and the Helix (fantastic on both dock/trackpad/keyboard & tablet fronts) are the only two ultra-light devices that compete with Apple on build quality.  This machine does NOT feel cheap and, frankly at this price it had better not -- I would have been quite upset.  I don't expect peeling or chipping.  There's some fingerprint smudging on my trackpad and the back of the tablet, but it's harmless and the feel is premium.

Your opinion may vary.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete