04-12-2013

United States

115 Signins

368 Page Views

• Views: 368
  • Message 181 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-15, 12:13 PM

So according to this link posted a few pages back about all of the models.

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the 3698,3701, and 3702?  It looks like they each have the same options available.

Thanks

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 182 of 709

2013-04-15, 12:38 PM

... And not the same price. Some reach $ 3200 on pre-order if I recall correctly (the 37024KU for instance: http://www.macmall.com/s?rch&q=lenovo%20thinkpad%20helix&removedLicenseFilter=true&includeImage=true&ssrc=box).

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 183 of 709

2013-04-15, 12:43 PM

wrote:

Hey Guys,

I have the Helix. I installed the TP Fan Control program and I was just wondering something---- We know that the fans pretty much run non-stop just standard. After installing the program they shut off the fans for the most part until the temp gets up there. So, obviously this is saving power (and eliminating noise which is nice), but I'm wondering if the fact that the program is always running in the backgroud (it's set on S.M.A.R.T) is negating any power savings because I'm assuming its constantly monitoring the temperature. Please, anyone with experience in this area let me know. I love how quiet it is now, and I'm excited for any potential power savings, but I'm unaware of what these fans really pull in power and what it's taking to run the program all the time. Thanks!!

You can adjust the sampling rate of TP Fan control.   It defaults to 5 seconds.  At every 5 seconds, I doubt that there really is any measurable negative impact.   Windows stuff that's constantly running/monitoring I'm sure is FAR greater. 

I installed it as a service so it runs at bootup and is basically invisible.  So much nicer now.    You can edit the .ini file to customise the kick-in temps as well as the sampling rate.     On the way up, it will not kick the fan on until the first non-zero temp.    Once on, it will stay on until it gets down to the zero temp...a hysteresis.  Works great and doesn't constantly kick in and out.    I think I have mine set on 53C for the 0 temp and 57c for the 1 temp.  

It would have been nice to differentiate between tablet and laptop modes, since I don't find the fan in tablet mode to be objectionable at all at level 1, but I find usually under a light load (web surfing, MS Office, some lighter apps/games like Angry Birds) the fan will never kick on in either mode with the above setting and the back stays a very reasonable temperature (much cooler than the Surface pro).     Some apps/games that are a little more graphics intensive will kick it on.   The above setting I found that when the back gets pretty warm, it kicks on.

Without the fan in normal idle or light use, the CPU temp stays in the mid to upper 40s and it's very comfortable to use in tablet mode.

Options

83 Posts

03-28-2013

USA

168 Signins

786 Page Views

• Views: 786
  • Message 184 of 709

2013-04-15, 12:50 PM

I agree both ink well but Note 10.1 is really good. I have various pens that work with the note 10.1 and helix (they are the same essentially).   I also have my pen from the x61.  Anyway,  a difference between the note 10.1 and helix is that with the pen in its holder on the tablets, you can still use the pen on the note 10.1, but you can not on the helix.  In powerpoint if you select "pens" the helix pen will not work but you can "draw" lines with your finger.  I find the inability to use a pen on the Helix with its pen in its holder annoying.  For me to have to take it out all the time is a recipe for getting it lost as was my experience on the x61 :).  However, on the x61, like the note 10.1, you could ink with the pen in this holder.

Options

60 Posts

12-23-2012

IN

601 Signins

2512 Page Views

• Views: 2512
  • Message 185 of 709

2013-04-15, 12:51 PM

wrote:

thank you, helps very much! Its nice to have the possiblity to change the size of the buttons.

But the other part of the quesiton: What about the UEFI-BIOS setting? I am curious if the TrackPoint buttons will stop working if you deactivate the TouchPad in the BIOS.

Hi, anyone can answer this question? I'm curious too :smileyindifferent:

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Message 186 of 709

2013-04-15, 15:36 PM

wrote:

wrote:

thank you, helps very much! Its nice to have the possiblity to change the size of the buttons.

But the other part of the quesiton: What about the UEFI-BIOS setting? I am curious if the TrackPoint buttons will stop working if you deactivate the TouchPad in the BIOS.

Hi, anyone can answer this question? I'm curious too :smileyindifferent:

I didn't tind a bios option to disable the Touchpad.   When I go to config -> Keyboard/Mouse the only entry is "Fn and Ctrl Key swap".

This differs from the Bios simulator here which has the entry as well as others:

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/18124/player.html

My bios version is the latest (1.09)

Options

7 Posts

04-12-2013

Montreal, Canada

45 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 187 of 709

2013-04-15, 15:50 PM

"I also calibrated the screen with the basic Pantone Huey and I must say the difference was less than it was with my Mac monitor as well.   Did quite the reasonable job."

Hi rickastro! When you calibrated the screen with the Pantone Huey, does it shows the color space of the screen?

thanks!

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Message 188 of 709

2013-04-15, 15:54 PM

The Huey is not a very sophisticated tool, so doesn't have any of those sorts of analytics.

Options

7 Posts

04-12-2013

Montreal, Canada

45 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 189 of 709

2013-04-15, 16:42 PM
That's what I thought so unfortunately

How would you describe the colors difference between your apple display and the helix? Does the helix color's looks as vivid and natural compare to apple when they are side by side? That would give me a hint!
Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Message 190 of 709

2013-04-15, 17:39 PM

wrote:
That's what I thought so unfortunately

How would you describe the colors difference between your apple display and the helix? Does the helix color's looks as vivid and natural compare to apple when they are side by side? That would give me a hint!

Putting them next to each other, there's very little to distinguish them, however when you look at a test chart, the full intensity Blues aren't quite as vibrant,  Greens are a little better than the Blueas but still not quite as intense as the Apple and Reds are pretty close.    Magenta looks a bit washed out and yellow slightly duller.     

There was no real color shifting that I saw, only  a slightly more limited gamut than the Cinema Display.

I ran it through this test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

And I didn't really see any areas of concerns.   In fact, the viewing angle test was the best I've seen on any monitor!  The lettering was almost indistinguishable from the background across the entire screen.   Color was completely even on the color images on that page as well. The cinema display wasn't quite as good as that and cheaper monitors look horrendous.

All in all, with my somewhat unscientific testing I'd say it's not quite up to the Apple Cinema in terms of Gamut, but I'd still rate it great for anything but the most demanding applications.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete