03-14-2013

Australia

68 Signins

254 Page Views

• Views: 254
  • Message 411 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-23, 1:01 AM

I suppose some people would choose to use external setups as a 3G/4G solution for the Helix, since it lowers the cost.

But personally I would like to get a WWAN model, because from what I saw on the spec sheets listed on the sites that are selling the Helix: only WWAN model has GPS capability. And I would like to have that - for me the 3G/4G connection is just a minnor extra, it's the GPS capability that I'm after.

Options

20 Posts

04-14-2013

Texas

68 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 412 of 709

2013-04-23, 1:23 AM
I just want to re-state I own the 256gb wifi i7 model and am sending back today. It runs so hot it burns my skin. Mac mall said that it could be defective. But just a heads up for all interested in the device might be better off with i5
Options

3 Posts

04-19-2013

Seattle, WA

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 413 of 709

2013-04-23, 1:35 AM

Thanks. 

wrote:

...the setting is through the Mouse driver, not the BIOS... Second, it works as you suggested. In other words, if you enable both the track pad and track point, then both sets of virtual buttons work on the trackpad. If you disable the track pad and enable the track point, then the buttons at the top of the pad work, but the bottom ones don't. Same deal the other way around.

In the past, I've had to disable the trackpad in BIOS, but it sounds like there is a more straightforward way to go trackpoint-only (at least in Windows). Good to know. When I finally get my hands on one of these things, I'll go ahead and test the BIOS option anyway (as it may still be necessary in Linux) and report back. 

Options

3 Posts

04-19-2013

Seattle, WA

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 414 of 709

2013-04-23, 1:49 AM

Thanks for all the links and detailed review information, yipcw. I have a question for you, based on your comments about the Helix being somewhat...thermally challenged:

wrote:
I measured the sound level to be about 49 dB on the back right over the fan area (52 dB if you open the dock cover), it is quite loud.  And that's the low power i5-3317u-4GB-128GB version.

BTW thermal image of back of the tablet reached 43°C just with few minutes use, that's hot.  Almost the same as the exhaust vent temperature of a T420s. 

A number of people have reported installing a TPFanControl utility to address the fan noise issue. Any chance you'd be willing to install TPFC, as well, and then compare both the decible level and the temperature readings (with or without accompanying thermal imagery)? 

Seems like a lot to ask, but...what the hell, I figure it's worth a shot. :) Thanks again.

Options

24 Posts

04-13-2013

Canada

78 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 415 of 709

2013-04-23, 2:45 AM

wrote:
I just want to re-state I own the 256gb wifi i7 model and am sending back today. It runs so hot it burns my skin. Mac mall said that it could be defective. But just a heads up for all interested in the device might be better off with i5

the problem with i5 models is that they do not come with 8GB RAM. :(

if Lenovo starts selling on their website with an uption to upgrade RAM with i5, that would be a good choice then.

Options

20 Posts

04-14-2013

Texas

68 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 416 of 709

2013-04-23, 3:12 AM
I know that's why I chose that model buuuuuuttt I wanted to just warn everyone because I was shocked at how hot it got! I also hated hearing the fans but could imagine using fan control because the heat was already so bad. I am so disappointed because everything else was phenomenal but for someone who really wanted the pen input the heat was unforgivable :(
Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 417 of 709

2013-04-23, 3:16 AM

wrote:

Thanks. 

wrote:

...the setting is through the Mouse driver, not the BIOS... Second, it works as you suggested. In other words, if you enable both the track pad and track point, then both sets of virtual buttons work on the trackpad. If you disable the track pad and enable the track point, then the buttons at the top of the pad work, but the bottom ones don't. Same deal the other way around.

In the past, I've had to disable the trackpad in BIOS, but it sounds like there is a more straightforward way to go trackpoint-only (at least in Windows). Good to know. When I finally get my hands on one of these things, I'll go ahead and test the BIOS option anyway (as it may still be necessary in Linux) and report back. 

As I mentioned earlier, in the current bios (in the one shipped with mine as well as the brand new one just released a few days ago) there is no option to disable the trackpad or trackpoint.    Under "Keyboard/Mouse" heading in the bios, the only option available is "Fn and Ctrl Key swap".

Options

28 Posts

04-22-2013

Boston, MA

54 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 418 of 709

2013-04-23, 3:21 AM

I have the same thing as u --  i7 WiFi, but with no overheating. I would definitely say it's defected. Sorry to hear your having an issue. :smileysad:

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 419 of 709

2013-04-23, 3:25 AM

wrote:

I have an I7 (180GB wifi) and it definitely does not run overly hot under normal use.    Yes, if I run a burn-in test it will run in the 70-80C range which is quite hot.    But in normal desktop durfing or light game apps, it runs just warm in upper-right only.   Still comfortable to hold and put on my lap.

I am digging the reverse mode for lap tablet use btw.    I can put it at whatever angle I like (from flat to over 90 degrees) and I don't have to hold the tablet during touch use (and can use 2 hands) and my lap stays completely cool.

Nothing bugging me about this unit, which is rare for me after a week's use.   Superb implementation.    

Options

24 Posts

04-13-2013

Canada

78 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 420 of 709

2013-04-23, 5:20 AM

wrote:
I know that's why I chose that model buuuuuuttt I wanted to just warn everyone because I was shocked at how hot it got! I also hated hearing the fans but could imagine using fan control because the heat was already so bad. I am so disappointed because everything else was phenomenal but for someone who really wanted the pen input the heat was unforgivable :(

by looking at other's comments, it seems that yours was a defective one - sorry to hear that.

btw, did you ask for a replacement or you have returned it for refund already?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete