04-09-2013

Munich

92 Signins

448 Page Views

• Views: 448
  • Message 421 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-23, 6:51 AM
So what about i7 LTE buyers? My sales rep told me it will be delayed until at the resolve the WWAN issues. Are you going to wait? Or just pick a wifi helix?
Options

20 Posts

04-14-2013

Texas

68 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 422 of 709

2013-04-23, 9:17 AM
I am returning for a refund Tom and they don't have replacement available. I'm torn because I like the machine but I am concerned about ordering a sec unit. My heat issues were in the tablet mode with no base attached. Using the stylus across the screen the tablet ran so hot I couldn't touch my palm to the screen while writing.

I think at this point I might just wait for a haswell tablet seeing as how June is just around the bend and now I don't have a place in line for the helix and would have to wait for a few more weeks for another unit. Mac mall also tried to continuously tell me I needed to pay a restocking fee until I finally got it through to them the unit was literally burning my hands and then they deemed it defective. Scared the crap out of me that I would have a $2,000 paperweight!!
Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 423 of 709

2013-04-23, 11:27 AM

Regarding heat, I have the i7 as well and have no issues.  I use TPFC to solve the horrifically obnoxious fan issue, but it does indeed solve it completely (the default threshold is simply too low -- no biggie).  Sorry to say that the other fellow's unit may indeed be defective in some way.

The machine gets hot when the A/V runs or is otherwise under load, but I have yet to see the CPU exceed ~67C.  No issues in tablet or laptop mode regarding physical touch and heat after ~2 weeks.

It's a great machine.  My only beef after all this time is that Windows 8 continues to be a little schizophrenic to me. Lately I am in desktop mode since the Helix is such a fantastic laptop, which makes me wonder about the purpose of Metro/Modern UI except when the tablet is detached.  But that is off-topic.

Options

19 Posts

04-12-2013

United States

115 Signins

368 Page Views

• Views: 368
  • Message 424 of 709

2013-04-23, 12:00 PM

Just checked on my CDW order and it now has a shipping date of 4/25/2013 for the 36984SU model.  I am sure that is not a definite date but I hope so.

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 425 of 709

2013-04-23, 12:38 PM

wrote:
I am returning for a refund Tom and they don't have replacement available. I'm torn because I like the machine but I am concerned about ordering a sec unit. My heat issues were in the tablet mode with no base attached. Using the stylus across the screen the tablet ran so hot I couldn't touch my palm to the screen while writing.

I think at this point I might just wait for a haswell tablet seeing as how June is just around the bend and now I don't have a place in line for the helix and would have to wait for a few more weeks for another unit. Mac mall also tried to continuously tell me I needed to pay a restocking fee until I finally got it through to them the unit was literally burning my hands and then they deemed it defective. Scared the crap out of me that I would have a $2,000 paperweight!!

You definitely got a defective one then.    I'm running in tablet mode right now and running the Intel Burn test with throttling turned off in power management (100% cpu on battery) and it's hanging a little over 60C and the back on the left side is cool to the touch and the right lower side is just slightly warm.   The Right-upper side is what i would consider hot, but I can hold my hand on it and not be uncomfortable.   It runs at 1.9Ghz in this scenario.  The fan is running in the tablet, but it is very, very quiet (can't really hear it from a few feet away).   I really with they used the same fan in the base, since the base fans are shrill and loud (can hear it across the room).   

If I plug it in in tablet mode, it kicks it up to 2.0 Ghz and the CPU runs slightly hotter (mid-upper 60C's) .   The case temp characteristics are similar to described above.

Running with the base/keyboard on battery goes back to 1.9 GHz and doesn't really run any cooler than just on it's own, telling me the fans are all bark and little bite.   Then I plug the power to the base, the CPU turbo lick in and it goes up to 3.0Ghz and then does indeed run hot (mid 80C's).   Again, the left side is still cool to the touch and the right-lower is just slightly warm.   The right-upper is now what I'd consider hot/uncomfortable to touch and fans are running full tilt.  If I stop the burn test, after about 30s the temp is back to around 60C and after about 1.5 minutes it's down to around 50C and the back upper-right is just warm.

Now if you are doing something using the HD4000 graphics card intensively (like 3D graphics/games), then the heat will be greater if combined with 100% cpu utilization.

Note that all of this is the extreme case with a burn-in program running.   Under normal use, it doesn't get nearly this hot.  

Options

86 Posts

05-21-2011

US

104 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 426 of 709

2013-04-23, 12:41 PM
sure, i can try that.
the concern is whether that's the right answer.
if Lenovo too conservative on fan settings, that's fine using TPfancontrol to change the threshold
on the other hand
the fan doesn't not run all the time, it is different from problem T420s suffers that it is on continously which drives users crazy. if you let the Helix fan blast at the noisy level, eventually it cool enough and go back to a normal sound level.
If that's the correct setting engineering determined to be best for the machine, it may not be the best solution to alter it.   personl machine is fine, it is up to users what to do with property.  i have a feeling i can't get it certify for imaging for bulk enterprise order manufacturing by changing thermal behavior that may adversely affect the box unless i can prove Lenovo design team criteria is wrong.  if we start to overheat them, i doubt we can claim warranty once we signed off we are responsible to lower fan threshold on purpose.  it may just meant the Helix is not an acceptable solution.

wrote:

Thanks for all the links and detailed review information, yipcw. I have a question for you, based on your comments about the Helix being somewhat...thermally challenged:

A number of people have reported installing a TPFanControl utility to address the fan noise issue. Any chance you'd be willing to install TPFC, as well, and then compare both the decible level and the temperature readings (with or without accompanying thermal imagery)? 

Seems like a lot to ask, but...what the hell, I figure it's worth a shot. :) Thanks again.

Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 427 of 709

2013-04-23, 13:02 PM

I'd agree that a de facto requirement to use TPFC certainly isn't appropriate for the enterprise.  I do think it's entirely possible Lenovo is mistakenly conservative with its fan settings, though; the CSR all but said as such for the Lenovo Yoga when that fiasco came around.  So it may be the case for the Helix as well and TPFC is as such an ideal solution for home users and perhaps small businesses.  But modifying settings normally set by firmware enterprise-wide to get it working correctly strikes me as a deal-breaker.

Options

21 Posts

04-16-2013

USA

18 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 428 of 709

2013-04-23, 16:11 PM

wrote:

The i5 and i7 have the same TDP.  8GB ram would produce more heat but I doubt it would produce as much as what you described. 

Just a thought: are your fans defective?  Do you hear them spinning? 

Additional thought: are any stickers/objects blocking the exhaust vents?

Options

258 Posts

06-25-2011

Vienna

1897 Signins

11744 Page Views

• Views: 11744
  • Message 429 of 709

2013-04-23, 16:18 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-heads-to-school-with-seton-hall/

ThinkPad W520, i7-2820 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB GPU , mSATA Samsung Evo 840 1TB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB & Lenovo Helix i7 8GB RAM & ThinkPad W540, i7-4800MQ, 32 GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K1100M, OS on M.2 2242 Transcend MTS400 256GB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB
Options

20 Posts

04-14-2013

Texas

68 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 430 of 709

2013-04-23, 16:40 PM
Fans ran constantly! It was overly annoying coming from macbook air that was quiet as a mous. Nothing blocking the fans either! Just anyone who gets one just make sure you can write with the stylus for more than ten minutes to just check out the heat of the screen.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete