Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

04-16-2013

USA

18 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 431 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-23, 17:33 PM

wrote:
Fans ran constantly! It was overly annoying coming from macbook air that was quiet as a mous. Nothing blocking the fans either! Just anyone who gets one just make sure you can write with the stylus for more than ten minutes to just check out the heat of the screen.

Maybe you really got a defective one.  Why don't you try a replacement? 

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 432 of 709

2013-04-23, 17:52 PM

wrote:
Fans ran constantly! It was overly annoying coming from macbook air that was quiet as a mous. Nothing blocking the fans either! Just anyone who gets one just make sure you can write with the stylus for more than ten minutes to just check out the heat of the screen.

It would be useful to know what software you are running, which probably has more impact than the act of writing with a stylus.    I've used the various built-in ones as well as onenote and a few others and have had no issues.

Ad an experiment, I just tried onenote for 10 minutes in tablet mode.   90% of the back of the tablet is cool to the touch (about ambient).   Right at the CPU in the upper-right, it is just slightly warm, no warmer than an IPAD gets for comparison.   CPU temp reads 41C.    I have TPFancontrol running and the fan never came close to kicking on (I think I've set it for 57C), so it was running totally passive.  Brightness about 60% with no auto-adjust, which makes it quite a bit brighter by default.  The screen itself was not noticeably warm, just a bit above ambient.

This is so different from what you're reporting that yours must be defective, or somehow you have something keeping the CPU at 100% and your settings have it running full steam on batteries. 

This is with an i7, 8GB 180GB wifi model.

Options

21 Posts

04-16-2013

USA

18 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 433 of 709

2013-04-23, 18:06 PM

Also, check what process is taking up CPU cycles.

Options

20 Posts

04-14-2013

Texas

68 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 434 of 709

2013-04-23, 18:07 PM
I'm running one note and a web page or two simultaneously and taking handwritten notes. The upper right gets warm but the front panel of glass itself is the part that gets red hot so I can't lay my hand on it while writing, I wasn't implying that the writing with the stylus is what causes the heat I was just asking if anyone else's unit gets that hot while using simply one note and writing with the stylus. I must just have a defective unit. I'm just hesitant to replace it again simply because it was such a shock for me to get this defective unit. But I'm glad it's working out for the rest of you!!
Options

39 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 435 of 709

2013-04-23, 18:13 PM

Slipjack asked about TPFC (ThinkPad Fan Control) experiences. As I mentioned in my longer posting (above), I installed TPFC on my Helix. After a couple days I will say USE WITH CAUTION!

TPFC ships with two "Smart Modes" (in other words, with pre-defined fan control schemes). I used "Smart Mode 1", which doesn't start running the fan until things get really hot. It's a very bad choice for the Helix. The temperature of the CPU got into the mid- to high 40s (C), which resulted in a very scary "fry" moment; it looks like it over heated. The only way to shut it down was with the emergency reset hole in back. I should have seen this coming because it was getting awfully hot under my hand as I took notes while listening to a webinar.

** Strange thing though is that it should be able to handle temps in the 40s no problem. I'm also testing with IntelBurnTest to see if this was a fan/heat problem or something else (another defect?)

So, word to the wise: if you install TPFC and are noticing heat problems, you may wish to use "Smart Mode 2" (very conservative temperature settings) and work your way cautiously up from those levels. Under this scenario, the tablet (out of the dock) is now sitting in front of me in a quiet room with the fan humming along at 3600 RPM and the temperature a nice cool 33 degrees C. It's warmish where the CPU resides (right side top) but not at all uncomfortable. The fan noise is entirely acceptable. Placing the table in the dock results in a boost of the temperature and fan speed, with the fan louder than I like; I'll play with the settings to quiet it down (but carefully this time!) Mind you if you stress the computer at all the fan starts to roar. Running IntelBurnTest quickly gets the temp up into the 60s (C) and the fan blasts away at around 6,000 rpm.

If someone figures out a safe but quiet set of thresholds for the various levels before I do, please share.

Rob

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 436 of 709

2013-04-23, 18:56 PM

Localized keyboard layouts already exisst apparently. It's giving me hope for an AZERTY version available before May 2029.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/595/155/html/38.jpg.html

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 437 of 709

2013-04-23, 19:02 PM

wrote:

The temperature of the CPU got into the mid- to high 40s (C), which resulted in a very scary "fry" moment; it had clearly over heated. The only way to shut it down was with the emergency reset hole in back. I should have seen this coming because it was getting awfully hot under my hand as I took notes while listening to a webinar.

It should have absolutely no problems in the 40C range.    It should be able to run just fine even in the 80C range.    Once it hits about 100C, I believe it will auto-throttle itself.    

I changed the levels in smart mode 1 to be a ltitle more conservative than the default:

52 - 0

55 - 1

60 - 2

75 - 3

80 - 7

90 - 128 (bios controlled)

At these levels, the fan will generally not run with light browsing, office application work, one note or light game apps.    It will kick on for applications where the CPU goes high for several seconds, which is what I want it to do.

It's been perfectly stable with no signs of instability and I've thrown everything I could at it to test it out, including burn-in tests and extended 3D game playing at full resolution (Half Life).

I just now tried to duplicate what the unluck other fellow has with screen overheating.   Brought up a couple of browsers , set the screen to 100% brightness with no auto-adjust (so max brightness) and drew with onenote for about 10 minutes.   While the screen was slightly warmish, it was by no means hot.   Very comfortable to draw on.

I then even ran the Intel Burn test in addition and continued to use onenote, and while the overall temp increased understandably, there was no discomfort in using the screen, just warmth.

I feel quite confident using TPFC set as above, and am even considering bumping the first 3 entries up a little (maybe 53, 57, 62)

Options

4 Posts

04-23-2013

Colorado USA

22 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 438 of 709

2013-04-23, 19:21 PM

FYI, I just got my Helix 2 days ago. I was also concerned about the fan and have been reading through this forum. I just ran the Lenovo System Update utility. It found a BIOS update, as well as some others. I updated all. And now my fan is much quieter, without using TPFC. Hope this helps others! Now that it is quiet, I LOVE the device!

Options

50 Posts

04-12-2013

USA

135 Signins

661 Page Views

• Views: 661
  • Message 439 of 709

2013-04-23, 19:24 PM
kwicktech,

Thanks for updated info.

Glad to hear it's working well for you and you're enjoying it.
Options

50 Posts

04-12-2013

USA

135 Signins

661 Page Views

• Views: 661
  • Message 440 of 709

2013-04-23, 19:27 PM

For those interested, I routinely purchase items from Provantage for my company. They currently have 13 of model 36984MU in stock...

http://www.provantage.com/lenovo-36984mu~7LENO4R8.htm

That price is kinda high compared to what I've seen elsewhere

I'm waiting on 36984UU myself.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)