Canada

78 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 441 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-04-23, 20:05 PM

wrote:

For those interested, I routinely purchase items from Provantage for my company. They currently have 13 of model 36984MU in stock...

http://www.provantage.com/lenovo-36984mu~7LENO4R8.htm

That price is kinda high compared to what I've seen elsewhere

I'm waiting on 36984UU myself.

I'm also waiting on 36984UU. but strange thing about UU model is that it mysteriously disappeared from most of the sites. The other models that are not in stock, still exist on websites, where this one does not even present :(

that makes me worried and inclined towards the rumors of having issues with wwan chips - hope i'm wrong! 

Options

50 Posts

04-12-2013

USA

135 Signins

661 Page Views

• Views: 661
  • Message 442 of 709

2013-04-23, 21:14 PM

Not meaning to add to confusion, but a sales rep with Sparco.com just told me that her distributor informed her that the 36984UU has been discontinued ( I'm not making this stuff up)

Said that it was replaced by 370136U - which is WAy more expensive.

Take it all with a 55 gallon drum of salt....

I'm new to Lenovo. Is this type of confusion typical for new releases?

Options

4 Posts

04-23-2013

Colorado USA

22 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 443 of 709

2013-04-23, 22:04 PM

wrote:

FYI, I just got my Helix 2 days ago. I was also concerned about the fan and have been reading through this forum. I just ran the Lenovo System Update utility. It found a BIOS update, as well as some others. I updated all. And now my fan is much quieter, without using TPFC. Hope this helps others! Now that it is quiet, I LOVE the device!

Hmmmm...now I am confused.  I installed some more apps (Modern UI and x86), did some email and did a reboot (for some reason, not sure why). Now my fan is loud again...basically just spinning at high speed at all times.  Hope Lenovo, or someone, figures out why, and fixes it. 

For now, using TPFC with ricksastro's "Smart Mode 1" settings.  Thanks ricksastro!

Options

8 Posts

03-14-2013

Australia

68 Signins

254 Page Views

• Views: 254
  • Message 444 of 709

2013-04-24, 0:09 AM

Engadget has just reported something interesting:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-heads-to-school-with-seton-hall/

My interpretation may be wrong, but from what I can see in the article, apparently mass release won't be any sooner than June ... Because if a business customer (such as this university) has to wait till June to get it by the thousands, then just imagine what it would be like for the normal consumers.

Options

39 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 445 of 709

2013-04-24, 0:58 AM

wrote:

wrote:

The temperature of the CPU got into the mid- to high 40s (C), which resulted in a very scary "fry" moment; it had clearly over heated. The only way to shut it down was with the emergency reset hole in back. I should have seen this coming because it was getting awfully hot under my hand as I took notes while listening to a webinar.

It should have absolutely no problems in the 40C range.    It should be able to run just fine even in the 80C range.    Once it hits about 100C, I believe it will auto-throttle itself.    

I changed the levels in smart mode 1 to be a ltitle more conservative than the default:

52 - 0

55 - 1

60 - 2

75 - 3

80 - 7

90 - 128 (bios controlled)

At these levels, the fan will generally not run with light browsing, office application work, one note or light game apps.    It will kick on for applications where the CPU goes high for several seconds, which is what I want it to do.

It's been perfectly stable with no signs of instability and I've thrown everything I could at it to test it out, including burn-in tests and extended 3D game playing at full resolution (Half Life).

I just now tried to duplicate what the unluck other fellow has with screen overheating.   Brought up a couple of browsers , set the screen to 100% brightness with no auto-adjust (so max brightness) and drew with onenote for about 10 minutes.   While the screen was slightly warmish, it was by no means hot.   Very comfortable to draw on.

I then even ran the Intel Burn test in addition and continued to use onenote, and while the overall temp increased understandably, there was no discomfort in using the screen, just warmth.

I feel quite confident using TPFC set as above, and am even considering bumping the first 3 entries up a little (maybe 53, 57, 62)

rickastro, thanks for the TPFC settings. I'm going to try those out and see. You're certainly correct about the ~40 decree C range; that should have been totally fine. I've been doing some more burn-in tests and have been unable to reproduce what I thought was an overheating problem. It looks like I jumped to the conclusion that it was overheating, but it's actually something else. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the error logs that gives me clues.

I can tell you that at 85 degrees C it still runs... but the back behind the CPU gets practically too hot to touch with bare skin. I don't have a way to measure, but it's ridiculously hot -- and this is with the fans running as the BIOS (not TPFC) has determined; TPFC was off during this test. Mind you I can't ever imagine a real-world scenario where I would push it that hard -- but it's worth keeping in mind if that's how you plan to use it.

Options

50 Posts

04-12-2013

USA

135 Signins

661 Page Views

• Views: 661
  • Message 446 of 709

2013-04-24, 2:30 AM

wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-heads-to-school-with-seton-hall/

My interpretation may be wrong, but from what I can see in the article, apparently mass release won't be any sooner than June ... Because if a business customer (such as this university) has to wait till June to get it by the thousands, then just imagine what it would be like for the normal consumers.

Or another way to look at it (which is what I'm hoping for)

is that maybe it will take that long to fill large orders of 2000+, but maybe they can fill smaller orders a lot sooner.

Wishful thinking anyway.

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 447 of 709

2013-04-24, 2:54 AM

wrote:

I can tell you that at 85 degrees C it still runs... but the back behind the CPU gets practically too hot to touch with bare skin. I don't have a way to measure, but it's ridiculously hot -- and this is with the fans running as the BIOS (not TPFC) has determined; TPFC was off during this test. Mind you I can't ever imagine a real-world scenario where I would push it that hard -- but it's worth keeping in mind if that's how you plan to use it.

Yep, you wouldn't want to keep it in your lap very long running like that if you plan on ever having kids.    Luckily it's not anywhere near that in normal use.   If I'm going to do some powerhouse processing, it will likely be in laptop mode.   And with that, I can still have the laptop on my lap and it's perfectly cool since the hot part is vertical.

Options

6 Posts

03-08-2013

United States

46 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 448 of 709

2013-04-24, 3:06 AM

damonj1990 wrote:

jhenkinson wrote:

Or another way to look at it (which is what I'm hoping for)

is that maybe it will take that long to fill large orders of 2000+, but maybe they can fill smaller orders a lot sooner.

Wishful thinking anyway.

Regarding the Seton Hall article......yes, I think you got it a bit wrong...the order is for next year's students which will begin with the summer semester in June.  I'm pretty sure they will start getting them in much sooner, maybe this month, and start setting them up for students....they just won't distribute them until June.

Options

6 Posts

04-24-2013

Bucharest

94 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 449 of 709

2013-04-24, 5:46 AM

wrote:

Not meaning to add to confusion, but a sales rep with Sparco.com just told me that her distributor informed her that the 36984UU has been discontinued ( I'm not making this stuff up)

Said that it was replaced by 370136U - which is WAy more expensive.

Take it all with a 55 gallon drum of salt....

I'm new to Lenovo. Is this type of confusion typical for new releases?

I'm sorry to say this but that sounds like a big lie - the only difference I understood to be between 3698, 3701 and 3702 models is the waranty services bound to the device - 3698 being top-seller for normal customers, 3701 having 'premium' warranty, and 3702 has 'on-site' waranty, or something along those lines, but definetly not extra/different software or hardware like others supposed - pls correct me if I'm wrong

What worries me personally is that I first understood that all helix models will have either the gobi4000 board for 4G+at&t or a 3G board (a pdf around here named the board Ericsson C5621 TFF), both with GPS feature - and now, some people say (or I misunderstood) that they purchased helixes without any 3g/4g - can anyone confirm this ? I am personally waiting for the 3698-4SU model (or whatever it's code will be in europe)

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 450 of 709

2013-04-24, 11:45 AM

I'm sorry to say this but that sounds like a big lie - the only difference I understood to be between 3698, 3701 and 3702 models is the waranty services bound to the device - 3698 being top-seller for normal customers, 3701 having 'premium' warranty, and 3702 has 'on-site' waranty, or something along those lines, but definetly not extra/different software or hardware like others supposed - pls correct me if I'm wrong

What worries me personally is that I first understood that all helix models will have either the gobi4000 board for 4G+at&t or a 3G board (a pdf around here named the board Ericsson C5621 TFF), both with GPS feature - and now, some people say (or I misunderstood) that they purchased helixes without any 3g/4g - can anyone confirm this ? I am personally waiting for the 3698-4SU model (or whatever it's code will be in europe)

I understood the same difference between the three models, but not sure either until an official clarification is made. 

By the way I'm interested in the answer to your question too. I'd like to know if purchasing a version without 4G/LTE means that the Helix will not benefit 3G either. The two PDF files (the one you linked and the larger one with all model details) are confusing. 

If the 36984SU has no 4G/LTE, but has 3G via the Ericsson chipset (if so, will it work in European countries?), then I might purchase it from the USA even if the keybord layout will not optimized for my language. This model is in stock on several websites so the answer to that question surely is the key.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete