Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 611 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-05-02, 2:36 AM

Can someone confirm the CPU is not throttled down when the clamshell is closed (with "logout on closing" option disabled of course)?

When the clamshell is closed, the dock vents where the rear flap stands are closed, so the fans have less air flowing in. I'm wondering if the CPU is still 100% in that case, as it would really be a bummer otherwise. Imagine you have screens on your desk and you just use the Helix as the "calculating core", but don't want to use its built in display, then you could just put it closed on the desk and plug the wires, and it has to give its full power. Same thing when in Tablet + mode: the magnetic flap where the fans are is flat, with low amounts of air flowing in. Is the Helix designed so the CPU is automatically throttled down in these cases?

Thanks in advance. I'm gonna order the high-end version in France, but still no firm dates for shipping. It could be two weeks, or more than one month. Very frustrating not even knowing.

Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 612 of 709

2013-05-02, 12:10 PM

wrote:

Can someone confirm the CPU is not throttled down when the clamshell is closed (with "logout on closing" option disabled of course)?

When the clamshell is closed, the dock vents where the rear flap stands are closed, so the fans have less air flowing in. I'm wondering if the CPU is still 100% in that case, as it would really be a bummer otherwise. Imagine you have screens on your desk and you just use the Helix as the "calculating core", but don't want to use its built in display, then you could just put it closed on the desk and plug the wires, and it has to give its full power. Same thing when in Tablet + mode: the magnetic flap where the fans are is flat, with low amounts of air flowing in. Is the Helix designed so the CPU is automatically throttled down in these cases?

Thanks in advance. I'm gonna order the high-end version in France, but still no firm dates for shipping. It could be two weeks, or more than one month. Very frustrating not even knowing.

My main desptop crashed last week so I've been using the Helix in "desktop" mode like you describe, driving a 27" Apple Cinema display with normal mouse and keyboard while it sits closed.    There is no throttling and it doesn't run any hotter or colder.   I think there's enough space that the air still gets through.   Add to that the fact that the backlighting isn't contributing to the total heat, I'm sure there will be no issues.    Using TPFControl, the fan only kicks on when something computation intensive is going on, like watching a video or importing a bunch of pictures into Lightroom.   With normal surfing in Chrome, it stays silent for the most part.

Options

45 Posts

05-02-2013

United States of America

203 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 613 of 709

2013-05-02, 14:14 PM
Hi - I am a newbie! I have my Helix,36984UU, on backorder from EXcaliberPC.com Of course - it is on back order. Any word on the date Lenovo will make these available to retailers? The secrecy is sort of dumb... ;)
Options

4 Posts

05-02-2013

Österreich

63 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 614 of 709

2013-05-02, 15:10 PM

Hello, i have just received my Helix 36986DG and i'm having issues with the lenovo software.

for one the solution center keeps telling me there is 2 unknown devices, but the device manager doesn't show any. i have just disabled this.

the second and more annoying thing is the system update. it did all its updates including a bios update, but now it still keeps showing a recommended update Intel Smart Connect Technology 3.0 - 8 [64] version 3.0.42.1767. It refuses to go away, i tried to let it install and rebooted a dozen times and even installing the new 4.0 one from the intel site it still shows. even disabling the notification for this update doesn't really help because the tile in the metro start menu just keeps telling me there is an update.

Any suggestions?

About the heat discussion from earlier:

mine has the i5 cpu and in normal browsing and such the back becomes handwarm, but during the first installation and the windows updates/performance check it became quite hot on the right center side and the back there, too hot to touch actually. The fan noise isn't disturbing me, but the lit red dot on the thinkpad logo is...

Options

258 Posts

06-25-2011

Vienna

1897 Signins

11744 Page Views

• Views: 11744
  • Message 615 of 709

2013-05-02, 16:11 PM

wrote:

Hello, i have just received my Helix 36986DG....

Hi narcoso, congratulation on your new helix! Where did you manage to get it in good old Austria? I have ordered mine in March and still waiting :smileysad:

ThinkPad W520, i7-2820 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB GPU , mSATA Samsung Evo 840 1TB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB & Lenovo Helix i7 8GB RAM & ThinkPad W540, i7-4800MQ, 32 GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K1100M, OS on M.2 2242 Transcend MTS400 256GB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB
Options

4 Posts

05-02-2013

Österreich

63 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 616 of 709

2013-05-02, 16:21 PM

I got it from the ubook offer, i had ordered in february and it was delivered this morning

Options

258 Posts

06-25-2011

Vienna

1897 Signins

11744 Page Views

• Views: 11744
  • Message 617 of 709

2013-05-02, 16:28 PM

wrote:

I got it from the ubook offer, i had ordered in february and it was delivered this morning

Ok, thanks, understand. The students are lucky now while Comparex is finally delivering :smileytongue:

ThinkPad W520, i7-2820 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB GPU , mSATA Samsung Evo 840 1TB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB & Lenovo Helix i7 8GB RAM & ThinkPad W540, i7-4800MQ, 32 GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K1100M, OS on M.2 2242 Transcend MTS400 256GB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB
Options

2 Posts

05-02-2013

New Hampshire

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 618 of 709

2013-05-02, 18:59 PM

After making several calls to various vendors of the past few days it looks like the best bet for a quicker delivery, if you want an i7 (i5's seem pretty easy to get without too much digging) - is to go with the 180GB SSD option. Vendors are quoting either the 13th or the 20th for the next delivery of those.

I wanted the i7 4G 256GM SSD option, but most folks are saying *August*, and many won't even let you order it ("The window is closed").

If some of you are quick, PC Connection has only 10 (as of this moment) in the queue for the i7 180BG SSD (no 4G) with delivery expected on the 13th of May. If you go there, you might ask for Angell Kenneth as he has been very helpful and understands the situation (if you tell him I sent you (Sal Coraccio) so I might get a coffee mug or something...).

CDW was also very helpful, but they have 23 (as of an hour ago) in their order queue. And lastly, many of the folks advertising right now have no clue and will probably never ever get any in, despite what they tell you. Stick with a name you know (I think Provantage has obviously been very responsive, but I think they're saturated beyond even CDW).

180GB is still very healthy and I'm hoping there will be faster plug-in upgrades available within a year or so, if I ever need

it.

As far as the 4G goes - would be nice, but I do have a Verizon LTE hotspot that is plenty handy.

Crossing my fingers! Thanks, btw, to all the folks that have been updating this thing. Very useful info.

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 619 of 709

2013-05-02, 22:36 PM

wrote:

My main desptop crashed last week so I've been using the Helix in "desktop" mode like you describe, driving a 27" Apple Cinema display with normal mouse and keyboard while it sits closed.    There is no throttling and it doesn't run any hotter or colder.   I think there's enough space that the air still gets through.   Add to that the fact that the backlighting isn't contributing to the total heat, I'm sure there will be no issues.    Using TPFControl, the fan only kicks on when something computation intensive is going on, like watching a video or importing a bunch of pictures into Lightroom.   With normal surfing in Chrome, it stays silent for the most part.

Thank you very much. 

I think the air can still flow in indeed, and even if not, then the flap can be manually opened. But my main concern was whether the Helix could automatically detect when the clamshell is closed, and hence automatically reduce CPU voltage, just like it recognizes when the tablet is docked or not. Wasn't there a document somewhere that detailed the voltages in each of the three main positions (tablet ~7 V, tablet+ ~13 V, ultrabook ~17 V)? I think I read something like that, I don't remember where, and it makes me worry about the "full CPU power" when the clamshell is closed.

By the way, how many (roughly) tabs to you have in a "normal surfing session in Chrome"?

[Edit] Here is is, from their Facebook page:

The innovative CPU voltage handling ensures that the Helix will keep up with all of the tasks you throw at it without overheating. In Notebook Mode, the CPU utilizes the full capacity of 17 volts, using the built in fans to keep cool. When using the tablet portion by itself, the CPU is limited to 8 volts to ensure the Helix stays cool. When using your Helix in Tablet Plus mode or Stand Mode, the CPU is given an intermediate 13 volts, ensuring that even when the flap is covering the fans that the computer can still run well.

I hope then that the position is identified accoding to how the tablet is attached (not attached, attached in stand or tablet + direction, attached in ultrabook mode), rather than the angle of the hinge. Still, I'm wondering how it will work when you are using the Helix at its full CPU power, in ultrabook mode, with many web browser tabs opened, applications running and so on, and then suddenly detach the tablet to go to a meeting. Will it freeze? I remember that when using my Sony Vaio VPCZ11, with a i5 CPU (not a ULV one, a full power one), I used a lot of multitasking, so that the CPU was often quite highly used. I'm concerned about whether I will still be able to do the same with the Helix.

Is there any software solution to track CPU voltage live, like HWControl, or any other diagnostic software? If so, we could do some testings.

Options

65 Posts

01-09-2013

United States

208 Signins

787 Page Views

• Views: 787
  • Message 620 of 709

2013-05-02, 23:25 PM

I just got this bad news:

"

Unfortunately the Helix you recently ordered has been discontinued, and we are not able to fulfill order # xxxx:

Lenovo TopSeller ThinkPad Helix Core i7-3667U 2.0GHz/8GB/256GB SSD/abgn/BT/Gobi/WC/Dock/Pen/11.6" FHD/W8P64

There was a compatibility issue between the system and the Gobi card. It will not be resolved until August. There will be models available in June with an Ericsson card. "

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms