US

28498 Signins

1628217 Page Views

• Views: 1628217
  • Message 661 of 709

Re: When is the Helix release date?

2013-05-04, 18:48 PM

wrote:

"I don't think it's a good idea to multiply threads. We're all talking about the Helix, and to be honest there is not much to say about specific topics when we put them apart. Release date? We'd have a few posts in several months. :/"

So it's Ok for you in particular to consolidate. But most of us in here are looking for release info and have this thread set to alert us via email on new posts. You can see my point I hope.

Moderator comment:

Yes, let's try to keep this thread mostly focused on release dates and possibly, ordering and receipt experiences.

Now that folks are getting the Helix in-hand, specific questions... drivers, functionality, build quality, etc., are better handled by opening topic-specific threads. It allows for focused discussion, and where needed, an issue resolution / problem solution to be marked.

Thanks.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 662 of 709

2013-05-04, 19:19 PM

wrote:

"I don't think it's a good idea to multiply threads. We're all talking about the Helix, and to be honest there is not much to say about specific topics when we put them apart. Release date? We'd have a few posts in several months. :/"

So it's Ok for you in particular to consolidate. But most of us in here are looking for release info and have this thread set to alert us via email on new posts. You can see my point I hope.

I totally understand, but there will be nothing better than the alert subscription on the shop.lenovo website to have the official release date. Unofficial release dates we have had here have proven very difficult to rely on: we've had a lot of unofficial dates, and Helix are already shipping, and we still don't know when we will get one if we order today. What we need is an official word on real sustainable availability and production amounts. That will probably come when the official sites mentions the Helix as available, which will warn us by email, as most of us have subscribed to receive an alert.

But we now have the moderation standpoint about the content of this topic, so let's comply with it. I guess I'm gonna have to subscribe to a dozen threads. I'm not discussing this line, just answering to rew001.

Options

10 Posts

04-30-2013

Houston

26 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 663 of 709

2013-05-04, 19:52 PM
And there's another alert for nothing. Nice.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything else about the UU models having some sort of incompatibility issue with the Gobi 4g radio? The only place I've seen this mentioned is in this thread.
Options

32 Posts

04-11-2013

Michigan

250 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 664 of 709

2013-05-05, 1:26 AM

wrote:
And there's another alert for nothing. Nice.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything else about the UU models having some sort of incompatibility issue with the Gobi 4g radio? The only place I've seen this mentioned is in this thread.

So you complain about an off topic post and then immediately follow up with an off topic question?

Options

18 Posts

03-21-2013

California

238 Signins

682 Page Views

• Views: 682
  • Message 665 of 709

2013-05-05, 1:34 AM
thekidd7,

Can you tell us where you found the drivers? If it is true that there are win tab drivers than this is really big news for all of us artist.
Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Message 666 of 709

2013-05-05, 2:11 AM

wrote:

I totally understand, but there will be nothing better than the alert subscription on the shop.lenovo website to have the official release date. Unofficial release dates we have had here have proven very difficult to rely on: we've had a lot of unofficial dates, and Helix are already shipping, and we still don't know when we will get one if we order today. What we need is an official word on real sustainable availability and production amounts. That will probably come when the official sites mentions the Helix as available, which will warn us by email, as most of us have subscribed to receive an alert.

Well, if what I quote is judged off topic Ricksastro, then I have no idea what we're allowed to post in this thread about the (lack of) availability of the Helix. :smileysurprised:

I've not seen any mention of the Gobi chip incompatibility elsewhere, though I also follow Helix topics on Tabletpcreview and some other forums. I've spread this information on some of them though, so we'll see if someone confirms there.

Options

10 Posts

04-30-2013

Houston

26 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 667 of 709

2013-05-05, 2:18 AM
It most definitely is on topic. Because if the Gobi truly is the cause of an incompatibility issue, it pushes the release date for the UU model back indefinitely.
Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Message 668 of 709

2013-05-05, 2:25 AM

Anyway.

Several people have reported here that they heard it from retailers, which suggests it comes from Lenovo. We do not need to multiply forum sources, but rather to confirm it came from different retailers. If so, then it demonstrates it's a word from Lenovo. And at this point, the question will remain of the reliability of the few words we've had from Lenovo so far.

Other people, including you, have reported that they got directly from Lenovo (chat) that all models, including UU, are being released by the end of the first week of May (which is already over, but let's say Lenovo contacts meant the next week). Ask them again to ensure the information is up to date. All in all, this situation just sums up perfectly the blur around Helix availability, and that since the first delays on its release several months ago.

[Edit] Well, so I've been chatting with a Lenovo agent myself. He was kind and took the time to answer my numerous questions the most accurately he could.

The Helix is officially released, so we shouldn't expect any special announcement before the availability on the Lenovo shop itself. However, as you all know, for now it's only available from some retailers. I've asked what explains such a delay between first shipments (Davetong was delivered on late March if I recall correctly) and availability on the Lenovo shop, and what explains why some models are still extremely rare, if not totally unavailable. I was told Lenovo is still going through some business deals, with certain options only available from them (? Now I'm starting to really worry about the order I just placed, I hope I won't regret it), and that retailers have their own policies while Lenovo is still in the process of sorting that out. Note that it doesn't really explains why some models are more difficult to get than others from retailers; is it because retailers have not ordered as many units of all models, or because production of some models is erratic? No one knows.

The Helix should be available from the Lenovo Shop on May 13th, but still no warranty on this date. Yes, I mentioned that "by the end of first week of May" was announced earlier, so I guess May 13th is the last update. It will be "mostly" (expect "only" I think) for North America (USA + Canada). Canada will have some French keyboards available. There won't be any pre-configured models, customers will have to configure their own unit. This information is quite new to me, and it means that i5 units with 8 GB may be possible. I think a lot of people will be interested in that CPU/RAM combination.

I've asked if any model had been discontinued because of incompatibility of the card, as some retailers have been spreading the word, and the agent told me he heard nothing about any discontinued model or defect on some parts. He did not say there were not any defective Helix units here and there - of course it may happen, he said he heard nothing about any specific model being discontinued because of always-defective hardware.

Sorry for my English.

Options

25 Posts

01-12-2012

Los Angeles

36 Signins

453 Page Views

• Views: 453
  • Message 669 of 709

2013-05-05, 7:26 AM

Well, don't leave us hanging, where did you download the wintab driver for your Helix?

wrote:

so, if we can have others confirm the working of the "wintab drivers" on the Helix, I hope this helps in some people's decision to purchase the device or not. I personally love it. :smileyhappy:

Options

24 Posts

04-13-2013

Canada

78 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 670 of 709

2013-05-05, 12:46 PM

wrote:

As far as weight goes between the Surface Pro and the Helix they are darn close, but the Helix does feel a little heavier.  But, keep in mind it is a larger screen too.  Better battery from what i can tell as well.

Here is a pic of them closed side by side.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Thanks for the pic ... somehow I missed your message :(

\

so, is it heavier than Surface? By specs, it should be slightly lighter & thinner. did you compare it in clamshell mode? in that case, it makes sense. but in Tablet mode, it shouldn't be heavier/thicker

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete