Options

56 Posts

09-17-2012

Colorado

85 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 1 of 9

Where is Tablet Control Utility of Thinkvantage?

2012-12-19, 17:36 PM

I am trying to find the AUTO-ROTATE switch which is in the Tablet Control Utility which itself is found in the Lenovo Thinkvantage Tools (in the start menu...this is NOT the pc doctor version which has the same name) in win 7.

I am trying to load it for my win 8 (dual boot). I loaded the tablet buttons 2 in win 7 capatibility and it works fine. I just want Auto-Rotate to work in win 8. I am assuming that the Tablet Control Utility will run in capatiblity mode in win 8 like the tablet button drivers. Then everything will be fully functional.

thanks,

Options

6 Posts

09-10-2011

Minnesota

21 Signins

289 Page Views

• Views: 289
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Where is Tablet Control Utility of Thinkvantage?

2012-12-22, 0:26 AM

I'm not sure why Lenovo still hasn't updated this, but the Windows 7 Tablet Shortcut Menu driver will work. I can't remember if I had to install it with compatibility mode though.

Options

56 Posts

09-17-2012

Colorado

85 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 3 of 9

2012-12-23, 6:06 AM

I tried that Tablet Shortcut Menu in win 8 and it did not give auto-rotate. Maybe I am missing a driver. I have not installed all the win 8 drivers to make sure that the basic functions are there. Did you get Auto rotate to work? If so, how? thanks.

Options

642 Posts

12-11-2012

Raleigh, NC

370 Signins

26193 Page Views

• Views: 26193
  • Message 4 of 9

2012-12-27, 16:05 PM

Hey guys,

I found some interesting information out from kd_ on this tread here. He linked a thread from another forum with some helpful information regarding this issue. I have paraphrased and edited some of the information here to be a bit more concise.

You have to install the HDD protection software which enables the accelerometer.
64 bit version found here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014892

Also, the Tablet Shortcut menu if you haven't already. Found here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014959

Once you have successfully installed those, open up the Tablet shortcut menu and pick settings. There should be a check box on the first screen that shows up.

Then go to the start screen and type Lenovo. Then press down twice to go to settings. You should see something called Lenovo – Airbag protection. That’s the settings for the accelerometer. When in that screen pick up the laptop and move it around. You should see the little picture of the laptop move along with your movement of the actual laptop. If that’s not the case then make sure the enable box is checked or reinstall the software. While here, I suggest you set the sensitivity to low if you have a SSD.

Once you have the accelerometer working, Go to the Tablet Shortcut Menu configuration and enable the active rotate option.

If you are unable get to the tablet shortcut menu, go here. c:\program files (x86)\ThinkPad\Tablet Shortcut\LENTBCTL.exe, then you can go to settings and you should be able to enable it.

Hope this information assists you guys.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

12 Posts

12-23-2012

Smolenice

114 Signins

657 Page Views

• Views: 657
  • Message 5 of 9

2013-01-01, 14:37 PM

yes it works on my x220 tablet too, as I wrote here - http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/No-auto-rotate-on-X230T-using-Windows-8/m-p/971319/highlight/true#M18452

X220 Tablet / i5 / 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD / Ultrabase3 / W8 64bit prof / Dell 2209WA ---- R61i - history...
Options

642 Posts

12-11-2012

Raleigh, NC

370 Signins

26193 Page Views

• Views: 26193
  • Message 6 of 9

2013-01-01, 15:46 PM

Thank you for the confirmation pantheonsk! I saw someone who had this solution work for them with the X230, and the X220 had similar support so it seemed reasonable that this solution would work as well. Thank you so much for the confirmation!

Additionally, as pantheonsk pointed out, it will be necessary to ensure that the Lenovo Screen Reading Optimizer for the X220 is installed as well.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

1 Posts

10-08-2014

Utah

4 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 7 of 9

2014-10-08, 6:33 AM

Links no longer work...any chance for someone to update? 

Thank you,

Options

3 Posts

12-17-2017

US

7 Signins

243 Page Views

• Views: 243
  • Message 8 of 9

2019-06-10, 5:21 AM

Just posting to confirm that I was able to get all ThinkPad buttons and screen auto-rotate working on Windows 10 by installing four packages from Lenovo for both Windows 7 and Windows 10. 

I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro x64 from bootable USB on my ThinkPad X220T (product type 4298-CW8). I installed version 1809 and astonishingly enough, Windows Update found nearly every driver I needed with exception to the Gobi 3000 3G cellular card that's installed on my X220T, but the Win 7 drivers worked fine.

Considering that our ThinkPad X220/X220T's are getting a little long in the tooth, I thought I'd include both the "description" names for the packages, as well as the file names for the packages themselves, in case any links change. This way folks can Google either desc or package name to see if alternative links are available.

Here are the packages I installed, in the order I installed them: 

After installing these two packages, the screen would auto-rotate into what's described as "Primary Portrait" mode for writing on the screen. However, I continued reading a few threads and found some excellent information provided by Mathis and  (thx gents!) and it would seem that the Lenovo Active Protection System for Windows 10 is also required to enable true auto-rotate by relying on the same accelerometer used to detect a fall for HDD protection.

So, I also installed the following (in the order as listed here):

And, that's it!

Just like that, I have all three working buttons (Pwr, Task Manager and Screen Rotation) and screen auto-rotate in both tablet and clamshell modes.

Quick note: You'll need to enable auto-rotate in the Lenovo Tablet Control Utility under Settings. For some reason, Win 10 (perhaps Lenovo?) don't install shortcuts for the utility in the Start Menu? There seems to be one for the Tablet Button Shortcut Utility, but it doesn't work. Seriously. Even the shortcut I made on my desktop failed to open the very same app in was liked to. What gives, Microsoft?

You'll have to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinkPad\Tablet Shortcut\LENTBCTL.exe to open the app. Once open, click the Settings icon on the bottom left of the app window and change your settings in the Screen Auto Rotate section of the settings. I've included an image here because if you select both your tablet screen orientation and "ActiveRotate", it will only rotate your screen into the position you've selected and that's it. No auto-rotation, only rotation to your specified orientation. Selecting only "Enable ActiveRotate" will allow the screen to continue to rotate into any orientation regardless of any selection.

Here's a screencap of the utility:

Don't be surprised when the calibration wizard pops up to calibrate the accelerometer the first time it's enabled. The good news is that there's no "Rotation Lock" that appears in the Windows 10 Settings bar on the right side of the screen. Those can be tough to override and I'm pleased that there's no implementation of it by Lenovo.

I hope this info helps out anyone else pulling their hair out trying to get the buttons and auto-rotate working on their X220T. I hadn't used this great little convertible in over a year thinking it was beyond its prime. I new SSD and some extra RAM have dramatically improved performance and the 3G card makes this one a great little portable with a REAL keyboard!

Thanks again to everyone who posted button/screen tips on these forums.

Options

8199 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32571 Signins

1203645 Page Views

• Views: 1203645
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-06-10, 5:06 AM

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete