Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

11-06-2013

Russia

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 1 of 8

Windows 7 is unsupported on Helix. Official answer from Lenovo telephone support.

2013-11-06, 10:27 AM

I want to use my own Helix at work, where Win 7 is a corp standard (and Win 8 is strictly prohibited).
So, I bought Helix to downgrade to Windows 7.

Yesterday I requested OEM disks from Lenovo with Win 7. But today got answer from Lenovo telephone support - sorry, we don't support Win 7 on Helix, so will be no disks.

1) Can it be a mistake of the call-center operator? Is Win 7 indeed unsupported?

FYI. According to Microsoft, buyers of Win 8 devices with OEM license have right to downgrade to Win 7.
But if Lenovo doesn't ship OEM Win 7 disks with Helix - it becomes impossible.

2) Could you please suggest official licensing option, how an individual can buy Win 7 Pro (or Ultimate)?

Concerns:

- OEM Win 7 - I suppose, an individual cannot buy OEM Win-7 from the market and use it on own commodity computer - it's manufacturers' way only - for new or modified computers.

- OLP - it's 5 licenses minimum. Expensive for 1 individual, you should be a legal entity.

- Volume licensing - it's for Enterprises only.

So, I don't see any options, other than returning it to the shop or reselling :((((

Folks who downgraded to Win 7, please suggest, how did you do it (except corporate volume licensing)?!

TIA,
Maxim

Answer
Options

9437 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78157 Signins

2247440 Page Views

• Views: 2247440

Re: Windows 7 is unsupported on Helix. Official answer from Lenovo telephone support.

2013-11-06, 15:32 PM

Hello and welcome,

Here's what I think I know about downgrade rights:  MS will allow a downgrade from Win 8 Pro to Win 7.  The procedure is strange.  Use an existing, in-use Win 7 license key.  Activation will fail.  Call Microsoft and get an activation code.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=UjB_-vNx85j

If you don't have install media you should be able to find a downloadable Win 7 install ISO.  Google "legal windows 7 download  notebook review".  Where you find an in-use key, I'm not sure.  At work perhaps.

At a quick glance, it looks like there are Helix Win 7 drivers in the support driver matrix.  ThinkVantage System Update is included, so you should be able to use that to pull down drivers and apps.  (I haven't tried this on a Helix).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Replies(7)
Answer
Options

9437 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78157 Signins

2247440 Page Views

• Views: 2247440
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Windows 7 is unsupported on Helix. Official answer from Lenovo telephone support.

2013-11-06, 15:32 PM

Hello and welcome,

Here's what I think I know about downgrade rights:  MS will allow a downgrade from Win 8 Pro to Win 7.  The procedure is strange.  Use an existing, in-use Win 7 license key.  Activation will fail.  Call Microsoft and get an activation code.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=UjB_-vNx85j

If you don't have install media you should be able to find a downloadable Win 7 install ISO.  Google "legal windows 7 download  notebook review".  Where you find an in-use key, I'm not sure.  At work perhaps.

At a quick glance, it looks like there are Helix Win 7 drivers in the support driver matrix.  ThinkVantage System Update is included, so you should be able to use that to pull down drivers and apps.  (I haven't tried this on a Helix).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

11-06-2013

Russia

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2013-11-07, 2:26 AM
It's helpful. At least it improved my understanding! I'll try this soon, and reply back whether it worked!

Tx, ZoltanTheGypsy!
Options

3 Posts

07-16-2011

Santa Monica,California USA

30 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 4 of 8

2014-03-20, 10:25 AM

Were you able to install W7 successfully and without issues? Do you have any suggestions for someone about to attempt this "upgrade"?

Thanks in advance,

deadzoo

Options

7 Posts

11-06-2013

Russia

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2014-03-21, 2:08 AM

In brief - Yes, W7 works on Helix very good. But, unless W7 is absolutely necessary, I'd suggest to stay on W8 as it's much better experience, especially in tablet mode.

===========

It was not so difficult to install+set it up W7, but took significant time to:

1) figure out that it is impossible to downgrade native OEM W8 license to W7 on Helix, and

2) find drivers for touchscreen (to make OneNote to work). And find general drivers that days (Nov-2013). See earlier posts. But now all drivers are available - no problems.

And there is still one unresolved major bug, but I can live with it: When you actively detach/attach tablet from dock/keeboard (in my case when I ink-write notes in OneNote with stylus), attach back, then put it into sleep - when you wake it up - it doesn't - it restarts. So you lose all unsaved work in opened programs. It's annoying. I didn't apply recent BIOS update for Helix, as I have no time do dig into details how to do that, may be they fixed that.

+ rarely, after abovementioned attaches/detaches, Helix hangs when going to sleep mode. So I have to power it off forcibly with power button.

Minors:

- Automatic screen rotation doesn't work. But I don't need it.

- In order to make stylus work in OneNote you have to pull stylus out first, then restart OneNote.

- waking up after Hibernate takes ages (2-5 minutes), which is strange, I didn't investigate. So, I don't use it - it's much faster to power off/on it.

Details:

====

Re 1) - MS allows to downgrade W8 to W7 (you can find downgrade policy at microsoft.com), but there is no official way to do this: by MS rules W7 OEM distributive should be provided by HW vendor, but Lenovo support officially answered that Lenovo doesn't support W7 on Helix and refused to provide W7 OEM. So, officially you have no way to downgrade OEM license. Here I'm talking only about downgrading pre-installed W8 OEM license to W7. However you can use W7 Enterprise licensing etc.

Hope it helps, cheers,

Max

Options

3 Posts

07-16-2011

Santa Monica,California USA

30 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 6 of 8

2014-04-01, 21:49 PM

Thank you for sharing this valuable information. You have helped me make my decision to try W7U X64 on my Helix.

I will pull my current hard drive with W8 and put it away someplace safe and use a new drive for W7. The bugs you mentioned are not a deal breaker for me, chances are good that a fix can be found either by myself or another W7 fan. My only real concern is possibly voiding my warranty since I`ll be running an OS not supported by Lenovo, but my dislike of W8 is greater than the fear of losing support.

If the W7 install meets my expectations, my Helix may replace my X230t as #1 in my stable.

I want to say thank you again Max, I appreciate the attention to detail in your post,

Rod

Options

7 Posts

11-06-2013

Russia

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2014-04-08, 23:20 PM

U r welcome, Rod!

FYI. you don't lose support for hardware on W7. Proved -

Already on W7, I had suspision for broken keyboard ("Insert" button didn't work). They accepted Helix by warranty, no problem, and ordered a keyboard replacement. While waiting, in a week, I googled and realized that I enabled FnLock, so for Ins you have to press Fn+Ins. Lenovo changed keyboard type. Stupid situation, no comments )).

Overall I get used to Helix, and really like it now, no regrets! - it's light-weight with Ink writing.

However, I'd more prefer ThinkPad Yoga format, as I rarely detach screen from keyboard on Helix. But in Nov-2013 there were no stylus support with Inking on Yoga, so I even didn't consider it.

Options

5 Posts

10-22-2014

Colorado

3 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 8 of 8

2014-10-22, 21:48 PM

Almost a year into the Helix being first released, and I'm immensly regreting purchasing multtiple Helix and downgrading to Windows 7. My users experience black screens when waking from sleep, unable to undock\reseat with P@P feature possible, random mouse movements, and the occasional explorer.exe toolbar disappearing act. Unable to push to an external monitor, and the occasional erratic mouse movements when waking from sleep, when it DOES wake up. This all AFTER I've downloaded latest drivers via System Update, flashed BIOS, and rebuilt again from a fresh Win 7 image. I too am bound to using Windows 7 for corporate needs, so no way to upgrade, and don't think I'd want to knowing how difficult Win 8.1 still is to navigate. I can work around the Windows auto screen roate feature using Ctrl-Alt-(Left-Right-Up-Down), but sadly that's the least of my worries.

Has ANYONE come up with a workaround for these issues? With Lenovo not supporting 7 on this device, I fear that I'm stuck with 6k worth of disfunctional tablets. Any new ideas out there I'm missing?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms