Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 9

X1 Tablet Gen 3 - Reboots after sleep

2021-05-18, 16:10 PM

Hello,

Any help is much appreciated as I haven't been able to figure out the answer. 

So what happens is that whenever I put the Tablet to sleep or it will go to sleep with the automatic power settings it will reboot once it goes to sleep. There is no blue screen no error message just black screen then the Lenovo Boot Screen will appear. 

I can consistent get to this to repeat by simply changing the Sleep in Power Options to 2 minutes and then not to long after it goes to sleep it will reboot.

I updated all the drivers and the bios back on 8/13 and then I noticed the problem started to appear. 

I turned on and off Fast Startup didn't help. 

Turned off the Lenovo Smart Standby 

Double Checked all Windows Update and Drivers in Lenovo Vantage 

The computer was newly factory reset on 8/12 so there not much installed besides the basics.

I checked the Event Viewer and it doesn't give me any kind of relevant data to determine what the problem is. 

I installed an app called TurnedonTimeView to see if it could help point to what the problem is. It shows me the times that the PC turned on but not the cause of the reboots. 

I read reports online that I could try to rerun the BIOS install but that didn't work it reports I don't need to rerun it. 

This happens whether I am on Battery Power or Plugged up via the Thunderbolt Connection to my Dock or the regular AC adapter. 

In the attachment you will see the event logs between two of the reboots maybe you can help me figure this out. 

Could this be connected to Connected Standby?

TIA 

Options

4257 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

332 Signins

21125 Page Views

• Views: 21125
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:X1 Tablet Gen 3 - Reboots after sleep

2021-05-19, 17:08 PM

Hello ZeroShadow,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

What is the Windows OS build version on the machine?
Did you update the BIOS and drivers thru the support site?
Is the BIOS version the same as what the support site offers?

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-05-19, 17:51 PM

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for the reply back here is a reply for the information that you requested.

Windows Build: Windows 10 Home 19042.985

The Drivers and BIOS were updated using Lenovo Vantage however I did review the Drivers and BIOS there and on the Lenovo Support page and they do match. 

Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-05-20, 12:07 PM

Update #1: Just to add to my scenario, I have left the computer on for the last two days just to see if anything happened during normal operation and just having the screen turn off after a pre-determined time and the computer has not rebooted on its own. However, once I have the computer go to sleep, instant reboot. So it has to be something with sleep. I am going to attempt a Factory Reset of Windows to see if that fixes the problem. I'll report back when its completed. 

Update #2: After giving it some thought I decided not to reinstall Windows but try something else instead this time I ran a demo version of Pop OS via USB to see what would happen if I put the computer in sleep in that scenario. And guess what the computer rebooted after entering sleep. 

This tells me it has nothing to do with Windows but has something to do with the hardware in the machine. I have ran the Lenovo Vantage Hardware test and everything reports that its working fine (see below and attached for results). So this has something to do with the 1.42 BIOS update that happened I can test this theory but I am unable to locate the older BIOS for this device so far. If Lenovo could give me access to this older BIOS I can confirm my theory. 

Here is my current BIOS according to Lenovo Vantage: N1ZET86W1.42 

Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-05-22, 12:14 PM
Previous Update: Was able to figure it out rolling back to BIOS v. 1.40 fixed the sleep issue. Just leaving this here in case anyone else has a problem with this. Just be sure to turn off the BIOS Fallback Protection in BIOS before you do it. 

This proves that there is something definitely wrong with the 1.42 BIOS. I have also noticed that performance is better on 1.40 than on 1.42. 

Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-05-23, 22:12 PM

Amended Update: I stand corrected rolling back to BIOS v 1.40 does indeed allow the computer to sleep however after about 5 minutes or so whether plugged in or not something will cause the computer to still reboot. So I am back investigating. 

Options

4257 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

332 Signins

21125 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-05-26, 16:19 PM

Thank you for the specific details from your investigation as we do not have similar pervasive issue about this model.
Please do keep observing and update us back for any progress.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-06-03, 2:42 AM

@Lorenzo_Lenovo 

I believe it has to be some kind of power issue but it hasn't been consistent. One day Sleep works fine the next Reboots after no more than 5 mins. Each test has been with very little to no usage between tests. 

This continues to point to some kind of power issue as it is not exclusive to OSes as the results are the same in both Windows and Linux. 

The 1.40 BIOS at least let it sleep I going to start testing the 1.38 BIOS next. 

Also could it be the Intel Management Engine that could be causing the problem? 

Within Windows the only thing that pops up in the Event Viewer is that the RuntimeBroker.exe caused an unexpected shutdown, however that only applies to Windows Updates that wouldnt affect a Hardware Level issue I don't think. 

Im running out of ideas at the moment. It seems that this can't be software related but Hardware, can't be an overheating issue, could it be a Power Supply or Motherboard issue?

Options

4257 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

332 Signins

21125 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-06-11, 15:53 PM

I suggest that you better report it to tech support for some hardware check.
As you have described, this happens whether connected or not with the charger , even with reinstalled OS and even on popOS.

BIOS are rolled back and diags pass.

This does merit internal hardware testing.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms