Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 1 of 3

X220T EXTREMELY slow when running OS off of USB Drive

2012-10-22, 13:45 PM

Hi everyone, 

I've searched high and low on this site and many others trying to figure out what could be the problem, to no avail. I own a multitouch i7 8gb X220t with the stock 250gb hdd. I only got the 250gb because I had planned on upgrading it myself, but then didn't want to spend the exorbant prices for a 7mm drive at the time of purchase so just kind of dealt with it. Anyways, my HDD unexpectedly crashed the other day, full clicking noise, doesn't power on with an external USB Sata or anything, I'm currently in St. Kitts (teaching med students) so I have a bit of a wait until I can a new one (600gb Intel SSD!) so I've been trying to run ubuntu off of a USB stick (I have a 32 and 64gb one both are supposedly "super speed" or whatever, Transcend brand). 

Here's the weird part, when I run off the installing disk, in live cd mode everything works super fast, MUCH faster than off the HDD and I figured that was becase the disk sports a (and I benchmarked the other day) 150mbps read and 130mbps write speed. But now, whenever I install the OS to a disk (non-journaled ext2 partition or hell I've even tried Fat32) the OS becomes unbearably slow, freezing to do even the most meanial task such as logging in or typing or anything. 

Does anyone have ANY idea as to why this happens? Is it a driver? or Bios issue? 

I would very much like to save more than 8gb worth of persistant memory on my 32gb stick, and I have this situation for the next month so PLEASE any help is appreciated. 

Solved! See the solution
Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X220T EXTREMELY slow when running OS off of USB Drive

2012-10-22, 13:47 PM
oh and just a side note, I have that screen bleed and bright spot issue which I know was resolved a while back...do I just call support?
Options

98 Posts

02-14-2012

US

164 Signins

1797 Page Views

• Views: 1797
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X220T EXTREMELY slow when running OS off of USB Drive

2012-10-24, 0:34 AM

Running an OS off of a USB stick is really slow because USB ports aren't very efficient at transferring data.

Now if you had an expresscard, with USB 3.0 ports, and a USB 3.0 thumb drive, you might be able to keep up reasonably well. I haven't tested it myself, but the difference in making a backup to my external SATA 3, USB 3, HDD, is incredibly fast compared to using it via the USB 2.0 connection.

That could be worth a shot in the future, considering you can obtain a USB 3.0 shell, SATA 3 HDD, and 54mm expresscard, for relative cheap, as well as have the safety of cloned drive backup capability, and in a pinch the ability to run your entire OS off of the external drive.

I forget exactly what I paid for that setup, but I believe the 750gb sata 3 drive was around $80, the expresscard (with dual USB 3.0 ports) was around $40, and the sata 3 capable external shell designed for USB 3.0 and laptop drives was around $35. The whole external drive is thinner than a pack of cigarettes, and only marginally wider/longer. The weight is also surprisingly little.

Anyways, that might not help you out much right now, but it would be a handy backup/emergency solution in the future, and it's pretty simple to set up with some basic software like what Acronis offers.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms