Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

159 Posts

02-07-2009

Portland, OR

433 Signins

1763 Page Views

• Views: 1763
  • Message 1 of 6

X230T - warped lid on the left side

2012-07-31, 17:49 PM

I was cleaning and packing everything for a full refund return and noticed the lid is warped. It's not too bad, but I think this is enough to show how bad the build quality is. I took some photos using my phone. It's kind of hard to show on the picture, but I can definitely see it. I think this exaggerated the screen not being aligned with the base, because it always looks like the lid is turned a little more than it's suppose to in laptop mode.

Link to picture

I understand that it might be designed that way with just a little tiny warping and not completely flat, but not as much as this that it would squish the rubber on one side, and not on the other. Also the plastic LED indicator sticker or whatever seems like it's raised up because of this warp.

I'm waiting on my second order of X230T, crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't have any three leg problem, screen grinding the keyboard problem, or warped lid problem that I experienced with my first X230T. And then there are other problems that others forum members mentioned such as horrible digitizer accuracy, horrible back light bleeding, electric noise, keycap popping off.
Perhaps I should start praying that I am lucky enough to get a good one.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Options

547 Posts

07-19-2012

Raleigh, NC

289 Signins

17795 Page Views

• Views: 17795
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: X230T - warped lid on the left side

2012-07-31, 19:20 PM

Hi hp79,

Please let us know if you have any problems with your new X230T.

Did you find a post awesome? A great response? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!

Options

159 Posts

02-07-2009

Portland, OR

433 Signins

1763 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2012-07-31, 19:23 PM
Hi Ron_9972,

That's what I'm doing, posting all the problems I find. I shipped mine out for a return, just this morning. I can post a link to more pictures if needed.

--Hoon
Options

159 Posts

02-07-2009

Portland, OR

433 Signins

1763 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2012-08-13, 18:35 PM
The new ones I got didn't have this problem. So I guess I had a lemon.
Options

3 Posts

01-06-2013

USA

5 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 5 of 6

2013-01-06, 4:10 AM

It's been 5 months since this thread was active, but it looks like this is still an issue over in Shanghai.  Mine is warped to the point that when it's folded flat in tablet mode, the lid activates the touchpad, disabling the touchscreen.  In the short term, I disabled the touchpad (I prefer the eraser nub anyway), but I'll be contacting support after the weekend.

Options

3 Posts

01-06-2013

USA

5 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 6 of 6

2013-02-27, 13:04 PM

In case anyone ends up here and wants an update, it took ~45 days from my first call to get Lenovo support to authorize a direct exchange.  Each time I called, I would get almost to the end and they'd say, "we're going to send you a box and you can ship your device to a Lenovo repair facility," at which point I would have to explain that I felt a brand new PC shouldn't have to be torn apart to fix a problem in manufacturing.  Then they would explain that technical support can't authorize returns/exchanges and transfer me to post-sales (which must be the only call center located outside the US, mildly aggravating) and each time, post-sales would explain that they needed take my info, and have a "senior technician" review the case and authorize the return/new manufacturing order.  They promised someone would be in touch within 2 days.  Twice, I waited two weeks and never heard back.

This third time, I finally got through to someone who gave me her specific Lenovo email address, in addition to her direct extension, and she got the return straightened out.  I received my replacement tablet yesterday, and while it's worlds better than the first one, it still seems just SLIGHTLY warped (although it may well be my eyes deceiving me).  A friend is going to bring over a T-square so I can make an accurate assessment.  It doesn't seem to be bad enough where the touchpad is being activated, but I've only had it 12 hours.

One other incidental: as I was swapping the HDD with the SSD I bought, I noticed they gave me a SATA-III drive with this one, while the last one had a SATA-II drive.  Otherwise, the two devices were identical.

Hopefully someone finds this information helpful.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms