Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-25-2008

Singapore

3 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 1 of 6

X61 Tablet on Vista - Missing bundled apps & unable to use DVD drive after hibernation

2008-06-25, 14:27 PM
Hi,

I recently made a set of Recovery CD+DVD from my X61 Tablet on Vista and reinstalled my system with the recovery disks as my system was crawling and seemed unstable. After reinstallation, system was faster and more stable, but some bundled applications were missing e.g. Intervideo WinDVD player and creator.

I do not have a IBMTOOLS folder on my C drive. Could I get the bundled application from the Recovery disks? If yes, how do I do that?

Another issue I encounter is the external USB DVD drive can be connected once but if system recovers from hibernation, I cannot detect the drive, error being the driver is already loaded. I had to shut down and reboot to be able to use the DVD drive.

Does anyone has a solution for the 2 problems above?

Thanks in advance.
Gary

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: X61 Tablet on Vista - Missing bundled apps & unable to use DVD drive after hibernation

2008-06-25, 19:30 PM

wrote:
I do not have a IBMTOOLS folder on my C drive. Could I get the bundled application from the Recovery disks? If yes, how do I do that?

>> you have to install R&R in your windows first, then create a recovery disk from it. What you will get is bootable CD with R&R program.

wrote:
Another issue I encounter is the external USB DVD drive can be connected once but if system recovers from hibernation, I cannot detect the drive, error being the driver is already loaded. I had to shut down and reboot to be able to use the DVD drive.

>> I think this workaround would work; What you have to do is go to 'device manager' (start >> 'devmgmt.msc'), then you have to find which USB root hub you use for that external DVD (in Power tab itwill show you). Then you have to uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

For a solution, I think new chipset drivers might do the trick here. However, I haven't noticed this problem on mine; probably I never leave external dvd plugged all the time though. I'm gonna check this and tell you later.
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: X61 Tablet on Vista - Missing bundled apps & unable to use DVD drive after hibernation

2008-06-26, 7:01 AM
I just found this patch which might help solving this issue.

"Registry patch to improve USB device detection on resume from sleep for Windows Vista"
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-06-26, 7:28 AM
GaryS, welcome to the forum,

I doubt you had a cd/dvd burner attached when you ran your recovery? 

The recovery process is for want of a better explanation, sort of clever (or dumb depending on how you see it). It installs the required software and utilities only for "discovered" hardware. This means, for example, if you were to remove  a WWAN card it would not install the associated software and drivers during the recovery process.

The IBMTOOLS folder is now called SWTOOLS, have a look and with a bit of luck you have an MMCfto folder which has the cd/dvd software.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

4 Posts

06-25-2008

Singapore

3 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2008-06-26, 9:25 AM
Thanks sipp11!

Will try out the patch.

rgds
Options

4 Posts

06-25-2008

Singapore

3 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2008-06-26, 9:31 AM
Andy,

I did have my dvd attached during the re-installation.

Yes, I do see the SWTOOLS folder, will go through that.

Thanks
Gary

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms