Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

05-06-2008

Johnson City, TN

48 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 1 of 3

X61 drive won't read non-commercial DVDs

2008-05-10, 19:38 PM
I just received my X61 with docking station 2 days ago.  While attempting to install software on it, I discovered that this drive will not read DVDs that I have burned myself (i.e. non-commercially-pressed DVDs).  This is problematic for me since software that I use from various companies comes to me via .iso files which I then burn for installation.

The drive in my docking station is a Mat**bleep**a DVD/CDRW UJDA775.  I am running Windows XP.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?  I'm wondering if I need a different optical drive, and if so how I could go about making that swap at this point.

I have tried the utility which allows one to directly mount an .iso file.  It works great for CD images, but not for DVD images.  (Perhaps a memory issue, as these .iso's are typically 4 gigs.)
Options

9 Posts

05-06-2008

Johnson City, TN

48 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: X61 drive won't read non-commercial DVDs

2008-05-11, 13:14 PM
After a lot of research I discovered this was a fairly common problem with this drive.  Many people indicated that they believed it to be a hardware issue and found that replacing the drive solved the problem.  I was content to go that route as well, but did some additional exploration.

I noted that everytime I put in a DVD, the system stopped responding, and I attempted a restart, I would received the message that a process DLACTRLW.EXE could not be terminated.  Doing some research, I discovered that this process relates to Sonic software's drag-to-disk functionality which essentially turns a CD/DVD into a floppy-like drive.  My thought was that perhaps this software is what was causing the problem.  One of the preinstalled programs on my laptop was Sonic DLA.  I uninstalled that software, and that totally solved this problem.

I'm not sure what about the Sonic program causes the problem, but I know I wouldn't need its functionality, so uninstalling it was an easy way to solve this.
Options

9 Posts

05-06-2008

Johnson City, TN

48 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: X61 drive won't read non-commercial DVDs

2008-05-11, 13:46 PM
There's one other thing I wanted to add to this for future readers (I can't figure out to how edit previous posts).  When I originally contacted Lenovo customer support about this issue, I indicated to them that my laptop, which was only 2 days old, was unable to read non-commercial DVDs.  Their response was that this wasn't really a Lenovo problem and that there's nothing they could/would do.  They said that their drives are only guaranteed to work with commercial CDs and DVDs and that if they didn't work with others, that wasn't a customer service issue.

I was pretty shocked with the above given that I bought this laptop to use primarily for working with IBM and SAP software which is almost universally distributed to me via ISO files which I must burn for installation.  Their unwillingness to assist in solving this problem, and their insistence that this really wasn't a problem with the system I was just sold was rather shocking.  I'm hoping that if I ever have to deal with customer service in the future, it will be a better situation.

I bought this particular laptop because of my great experiences with IBM customer service on 2 previous Thinkpads.  The handling of my entire phone call on this particular issue was very different from the support I received in the past.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms