Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-25-2007

Wisconsin

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 1 of 4

X61 options

2007-12-25, 7:04 AM
I am looking at buying a X61 tablet, but I am unsure of which display I want to get. How is the trade off with having a touch screen vs. the higher resolution screen? What advantages does the x61 offer compare to its competitors? How is its functionality for note taking with One Note?
Options

27 Posts

12-15-2007

Flint, MI

26 Signins

418 Page Views

• Views: 418
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: X61 options

2007-12-26, 1:09 AM
I haven't used my screen much, but the "multi-touch" screen can actually detect contact at more than one point.  Maybe just two, but its still kinda fancy.  Multiple people can interact with the same screen, or you can use two fingers to drag a box around something.  Somebody else can probably tell you about multitouch, because I have the hi-res screen with an active digitizer.

An active digitizer makes it easier to use a stylus, because if you try to use a stylus with the multitouch screen both the pen AND your hand resting on the screen are registered as touches, so writing would be a bit more difficult.  Also, with the digitizer you can actually point without touching the screen (equivalent to moving the mouse but not clicking), or flip it over and use it like an eraser. I'm waiting for my screen protector to come in before i use the touchscreen extensively, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it.  The hi-res looks really nice and gives you more screen real estate.  The downside is you can't just use your finger (or anything else, you must use the special stylus tips) on the screen, which is too bad because it woudl be a nice input option.  Lenovo provided me with about 5 extra tips and a stylus.
Options

3 Posts

12-25-2007

Wisconsin

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 3 of 4

2007-12-27, 4:27 AM
Does anyone have more information regarding the multitouch screen? The main use for the tablet will be note taking for classes and programming. Would I be better off going with the hi-res screen? And how does well does the tablet work with Microsoft One Note?
Options

17 Posts

02-26-2008

Austin, TX

15 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-03-09, 6:34 AM
My X61 has the multitouch screen. I miss hi-res video, but with a 12-inch display and 5x-year-old eyes, 1024x768 is a good fit for me.

I've had no trouble writing and getting double-touch as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

I noticed (somewhere in all the device stuff) that the tablet/touch said "Wacom" and so I contacted their support folks.
They tell me that this is an OEM variant of their "Bamboo Fun"  USB tablet. Visit wacom.com and read about it for
some background.

I used a tool, Belarc Adviser, to report about my system.  Here are relevant details:
====================
Display:
     Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
     ThinkPad Display 1024x768 [Monitor] (12.1"vis)
Other Devices:
     Wacom HID Digitizer
     Wacom HID Pen
     Wacom Penabled Dual Touch
     Wacom Virtual Hid Driver
     PS/2 TrackPoint [Mouse]
     Wacom Mouse
======================

I plan to load linux as a dual boot and can tell you what gets detected and reported when that happens.

Hope this helps,
~~~ Dan 0;-D

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms