Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

04-02-2009

austria

19 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 11 of 21

Re: X61T: won't change screen orientation when switching to tablet mode

2009-04-15, 6:29 AM

Hi sipp, just to keep you updated:

Yesterday I restored back to factory-state with recovery media I ordered directly from lenovo. This also had no effect. I am sending my tablet to service today and they will have a look at it. Lenovo support told me that this will take about 10 days, I hope I can tell you more after that.

But it's definitely a hardware-issue. If downgrading back to factory settings doesn't help it has to be a hardware issue according to lenovo tech-support...

Options

10 Posts

04-02-2009

austria

19 Signins

112 Page Views

• Message 12 of 21

2009-04-23, 11:23 AM

Hi Sipp!

I just talked to someone at my lenovo repair center. They told me that their technical support ordered a lcd bezel and a lcd-cable to repair my x61t. Unfortunately they were not able to tell me how long this would take.

I think you should send your tablet to service too.

Best regards, 

Mike

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 13 of 21

2009-04-23, 18:57 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for update. I couldn't send mine in anytime soon since I gotta finish all my work first =) I just give a way my spare machine to family too, that's another reason. Timing is really bad, especially there is no timeframe for this service :-( Also, last time I sent my machine in, that tooks 1 day to fix and 35 days to find my machine!! [it's lost in that depot]

However, it's really odd that they have to replace bezel. It might include all little board in there, I guess. LCD cable should be pretty easy to test by swap with another tablet. I believe they should have enough machine to try out. Thanks again for the updates. I'm pretty busy recently, but if I got anything about this, I will update.

Regards,

sipp11

Options

10 Posts

04-02-2009

austria

19 Signins

112 Page Views

• Message 14 of 21

2009-05-16, 7:42 AM

Hi Sipp,

forgot to keep you up to date. last week i got my hands back on my x61t. Everything is back to normal. I'm using Windows 7 RC, and it's working like charm. According to the repair report they changed the LCD-Cable and the LCD-Bezel. Good luck with your tablet!

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 15 of 21

2009-05-16, 8:09 AM

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for updating this valuable information =) May I ask about Windows 7? Don't you have problem screen brightness can't be adjusted after sleep or hibernate? I mean I have that issue with my X61s, I have yet to try with X61T. Thank you very much again for keeping updating this.

Regards, 

Sipp11

Options

10 Posts

04-02-2009

austria

19 Signins

112 Page Views

• Message 16 of 21

2009-05-16, 8:57 AM

I don't have any problems with changing screen brightness after sleep. I ran a clean install of Windows7 RC, installed all updates suggested from Windows update and added drivers for tablet-buttons, system interface, hotkeys (only the on screen display) and tablet shortcut menu (which is needed for automatic screen rotation when you switch your x61t into tablet mode) -all of them in the most recent vista-version and in the above order. I also installed the active protection drivers which are available in a windows7 version on the lenovo website (google is your friend ;)). Everything is working fine but i'm not able to calibrate the screen, the pen starts moving all over the place when i do so. but the standard calibration (working out of the box after the w7 install) is quite enough for me now.

Options

3 Posts

06-30-2009

Denmark

8 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 17 of 21

Re: X61T and X41t: won't change screen orientation when switching to tablet mode

2009-06-30, 22:08 PM

So Mike,

You would recommend that I go back to the factory with my machine?
I have a X41t (1866-CRG) with a very similar problem (maybe exactly the same problem as yours?): When NOT in tablet mode all the tablet mode buttons on the screen are working fine, I can physically rotate the screen and still everything is fine, but as soon as I lay down the screen, all tablet mode buttons stop functioning, actually they already stop functioning when the screen is 1cm above the keyboard.

Before I read this thread I was convinced it was a driver/software problem, because I am also having an issue with ThinkVantage System Update which keeps offering the same updates, which I keep downloading and installing without improvement. (The same issue as The Star is talking about). Now I think this button malfunction is a hardware problem :-(  

The only reason why I am not totally convinced that the cable is the problem, is because this is not a random fault. Normally when I have experienced bad cable connections, the issues connected to it, is very random

Well anyway, I thought I would share this with you, since you didn't get much response from elsewhere :-)

Best regards,

Sonja

Options

10 Posts

04-02-2009

austria

19 Signins

112 Page Views

• Message 18 of 21

2009-07-01, 7:14 AM

Hi Sonja!

you can verify if it's a driver issue by restoring back to factory settings. Either by recovering via the rescue partition or by using recovery disks. 

If the problem still occours after the restore it has to be a hardware problem. My screen orientation problem didn't occur randomly either, i was able to reproduce it every time  tried.

My suggestion would be to restore to factory settings and if this doesn't help to send it in.

Good luck with your tablet! 

Best Regards,

Mike 

Options

3 Posts

06-30-2009

Denmark

8 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 19 of 21

2009-07-01, 10:58 AM
Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply, I just talked to Danish Lenovo support, they want me to turn in the machine and that it will take a week.
If I decide to do so, I will keep this forum updated on the progress.

But for now, I am actually OK with the workaround to just rotate the screen before I flip it into tablet mode.
My only concern is that the LCD cable /bezel (orr whatever the issue is) will get even worse and stop working completely.

So I have to decide whether or not I will waste anymore time of my holiday/ life with this issue.
It seems incredible stupid to keep the computers completely updated and then when you have a problem the only way to determine and locate the problem is to do a complete wipe over and reinstall/ format the machine, what a totally waste of peoples time. What is the point keeping it up to date, if you have to start all over anyway? It is like Russian roulette, uh will this next update/download mess up my computer orr will it make my computer life better?
(and please do not tell me to get a Mac- I have to many work applications non compatible with Mac)

Sorry everyone, I just had to get my frustrations out! Arggg! I am sure that the future will bring better solutions, ha ha ;-)  
Best regards
Sonja
Options

10 Posts

04-02-2009

austria

19 Signins

112 Page Views

• Message 20 of 21

2009-07-01, 14:59 PM

I think you have the exact same problem like sipp and me. I would suggest you send it in. The "pre-tabletmode-rotation" didn't help much because i couldn't use the buttons anymore. I found this to be the most annoying downside with the broken tablet-mode, I simply wasn't able to use it in a normal workflow.

After you have your tablet back, everything will be back to normal. That's bad luck for the three of us but at least Lenovo is fixing their broken computers...;)

Best regards,

Mike
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms