Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-13-2008

NY

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

cannot change lcd brigthness

2008-05-13, 18:33 PM
Hi, I have a X60 tablet with intel 945 graphics; and vista business. I cannot change lcd brightness when waking the computer from sleep. I have the latest power manager, and driver from lenovo website.

I believe the problem started when I updated the intel 945 driver recently. However, I am not sure if that is the case. Also, the power settings in the graphics properties are checked on. I tried checking them off but no effect.

And when the brightness change works (Fn keys) after a fresh restart, there is a difference in max brightness on battery and AC - even on max performance where lcd brightness is set to full for both.

Any ideas?
Answer
Options

26 Posts

02-21-2008

Canada

146 Signins

1618 Page Views

• Views: 1618

Re: cannot change lcd brigthness

2008-05-14, 16:03 PM
Not sure about your Fn key / standby problem, but I can definitely help you solve your issue of the brightness changing on AC vs Battery.

The answer is that this is a power saving feature built directly into the Tablet PC itself, and it's actually implemented "beneath" Windows (so there's no setting in Vista which can disable this, even if you take away brightness reduction from the power saving options in Vista). However, you can turn this off easily and safely, it's a setting in the Bios options at boot. Get there as follows:

1. Shut computer off completely (ie 'Shut Down,' not 'sleep').
2. Power on the computer and when it says "To interrupt Normal Startup, press the Blue ThinkVantage Button" << do this
3. Then press F1 to bring up Bios config util
4. Choose "Config." Then choose "Display."
5. There is an option for "Brightness." the possible settings are "High" and "Normal" which is the default. The right panel reads as follows: "If you select High, the LCD brightness will be the same regardless of whether the computer is running on battery power or AC. Note: This may significantly reduce your battery life." Okay, so supposedly this will suck way more battery, but to be honest I have not noticed much of a difference in that regard, and even if it does cause a reduction, it's worth it because the brighter screen is much easier to read, especially outdoors.

-=Chris

Message Edited by Boylicious on 05-14-2008 09:05 AM

Message Edited by Boylicious on 05-14-2008 09:06 AM

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

26 Posts

02-21-2008

Canada

146 Signins

1618 Page Views

• Views: 1618
  • Message 2 of 3

2008-05-14, 16:03 PM
Not sure about your Fn key / standby problem, but I can definitely help you solve your issue of the brightness changing on AC vs Battery.

The answer is that this is a power saving feature built directly into the Tablet PC itself, and it's actually implemented "beneath" Windows (so there's no setting in Vista which can disable this, even if you take away brightness reduction from the power saving options in Vista). However, you can turn this off easily and safely, it's a setting in the Bios options at boot. Get there as follows:

1. Shut computer off completely (ie 'Shut Down,' not 'sleep').
2. Power on the computer and when it says "To interrupt Normal Startup, press the Blue ThinkVantage Button" << do this
3. Then press F1 to bring up Bios config util
4. Choose "Config." Then choose "Display."
5. There is an option for "Brightness." the possible settings are "High" and "Normal" which is the default. The right panel reads as follows: "If you select High, the LCD brightness will be the same regardless of whether the computer is running on battery power or AC. Note: This may significantly reduce your battery life." Okay, so supposedly this will suck way more battery, but to be honest I have not noticed much of a difference in that regard, and even if it does cause a reduction, it's worth it because the brighter screen is much easier to read, especially outdoors.

-=Chris

Message Edited by Boylicious on 05-14-2008 09:05 AM

Message Edited by Boylicious on 05-14-2008 09:06 AM

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

05-13-2008

NY

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 3

2008-05-15, 6:21 AM
yes, changing the settings in BIOS works!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms