Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-11-2008

Canada - BC

8 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 11 of 14

Docking Station with external video card for tablets

2008-01-12, 0:05 AM

I just purchased a x61 tablet. I can't wait for it to arrive. My only regret about this purchase is that there are no easy solutions for using two external monitors when working with my tablet at my desk.  This option is available for other Lenovo laptops that can be docked in the advance docking station; however the x61 tablet cannot use this docking station.

The reason that I want this option available is to simplify my life by avoiding syncing issues of having a tablet and a desktop. I want one machine and to be able to use this machine whether I am in a meeting or at my desk.  And I want to be able to easily pick this machine up when I leave my desk without unhooking multiple cables etc.

However, when I am at my desk I really like the efficiencies that can be achieved by having multiple monitors.

I have looked at third party solutions like the VTBook and Sidecar but I would prefer if Lenovo actually created a docking station with the capability.

Is there anyone else out there who agrees? Does anyone know if Lenovo is planning to release such a product?

Cheers

Options

572 Posts

11-24-2007

Mt. Cobb, PA USA

618 Signins

20276 Page Views

• Views: 20276
  • Message 12 of 14

Re: Docking Station with external video card for tablets

2008-01-12, 14:36 PM
We discussed this exact theme earlier in this post
Options

3 Posts

01-11-2008

Canada - BC

8 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 13 of 14

Re: Docking Station with external video card for tablets

2008-01-12, 18:35 PM
It was and it wasn’t.  My primary point of this post was to find out if Lenovo plans to develop a docking station for the tablets with external video capability.  I reviewed the other solutions that are possible such as VTBook, SideCar (Digital Tiger) and DualHead2Go.

Here is what I found out...

VTBook costs between 300 and 400.  It works OK but causes lots of heat.  This option uses a PC Card to DVI converter.

Sidecar and Magma Expesscard1 work very well and are the best option however they cost 800+.  This option uses a PC Card to PCI card converter and can support any PCI card.   The only thing I do not like about this option is the fact that you have to keep plugging and unplugging a PC Card each time you leave your desk.   And of course I am not thrilled about the cost.

The DualHead2Go option takes your single VGA port and splits it across two displays.  The problem with this is the max resolution for each display is 1280 x 1024 and the processing load is handled by your single onboard video card.  In the case of the X61 this is an integrated video card.  DualHead2Go costs approx 150.

For these reasons I would much prefer if Lenovo developed a proper docking station with external video capabilities.

Cheers
Options

4 Posts

02-26-2008

Portland OR

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 14 of 14

Magma PCI vs PCIExpress. Was: Re: Docking Station with external video card for tablets

2008-02-26, 15:32 PM
So will the Magma ExpressBox (PCIExpress - http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/index.html) on my 7764 TCO?  It is unclear to me basewd on looking at my X61 specs that it supports the required spec for the ExpressCard (not CardBus).  If I am correct, then only this product http://www.magma.com/products/pci/index.html would work and then I'm limited to PCI video cards.  Since I'm running Vista this is a little less attractive than than being able to use the newre cards.

Can someone shed a little light here?

Thanks very much!
X61T 7764 CTO - 4GB RAM - Vista Ultimate - 200GB HDD - Intel Turbo Memory Boost
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms