Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-09-2008

Vincennes, IN

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 5

"New" x60 Problems

2008-02-09, 17:08 PM
I recently purchased a "New In Box" x60 (6363-2AU) on ebay (mistake!).  Nonetheless, when I removed the already opened box everything appeared to be in new condition including the cords & manuals.  Followed the instructions for start up but it started Windows with the Log On page requesting the User name & Password.  While the pointer functions & I can select OK or Shut Down, when any key is pressed on the keyboard it locks up.  I tried converting to tablet & will immediately lock up in this mode.  The logon screen says "Windows XP Professional English for Welch Allyn 2.00.SP2_070213.AB".  Question 1 is whether this Welch Allyn is the previous owner or what?

After this I decided to simply restore it back to the factory state.  When I entered the ThinkVantage page everything seemed to be working correctly including being able to access the internet.  The only thing missing that I could find was the PC Doctor under Troubleshooting.  When I try to restore it gives me the error:  "The directory name is invalid" and then "Product Recovery failed during the convertion phase".

As there is no optical drive I have tried to use a boot disk using a flash drive.  I've tried the PC Doctor boot disk, a BIOS update boot disk & downloaded the individual floppy disk boot files for XP, unfortunately all to no avail.  On each it gives the error "Missing operating system" on what looks like a DOS page.  I have an old HP USB CDR but it is not recognized by the system.

I've sent an email to the seller but I would really like to keep the tablet if I can fix it.  Please help!!!

-JFootman
Options

27 Posts

01-07-2008

USA

25 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: "New" x60 Problems

2008-02-10, 0:57 AM
You may need a dvd drive... but honestly I dont think this will help you. Sometimes the recovery cd's can be placed on a dvd disk.

I would suggest either borrowing or purchasing a usb dvd drive, purchasing vista buisiness, and doing a clean install.

Ok, one reason i say vista is because I dont think you will beable to get XP Tablet. I dont know what kind of hardware you have but I definately suggest you have at least 2 gigs if you are going to do vista. I will suggest a website to follow for your clean install. I know main point of this article wont apply to you. I point you to this article because he makes some great points about the drivers. I would follow the steps that pertain to the drivers. You will need to add the tablet drivers to the list though.

I have never booted from a usb dvd drive so I am not sure the procedure, but I think you should beable to google the subject for some help.

This is only my best suggestion. I am not a computer expert, but I know them fairly well.
Here is the site:

Good Luck
Options

3 Posts

02-09-2008

Vincennes, IN

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-02-10, 19:06 PM
Here's an update.  I hit F5 when booting and was able to boot with the last working profile that prevented the lock up.  This still brought me to the logon page.  I bought an external CD/DVD & was able to run ophcrack to obtain the administrator password.  I have now been able to get into Windows & download all the critical and hardware updates (except the keyboard update driver which still causes it to hang).

I have found out that this was indeed a previously owned tablet (by a company) & the previous administrator removed the partition which had the backup information for resoring to factory state.

The other problem I am now having is that the stylus does not work.  I have tried numerous drivers from Wacom but to no avail.  The device manager still shows the yellow exclamation point despite removing & reinstalling the new drivers.  Any suggestions?

As far as the partition, can anyone tell me the best way to get this returned to the original state?  I assume I will need to obtain the restore disks from Lenovo but will this replace the partition and all the software and drivers back to the out of the box state?  Does anyone have the disks that could burn the image so I can avoid waiting a number of weeks to get them from Lenovo?  While I am impatient, my primary concern is the time frame to return the tablet to the seller through ebay.

Any additional help would be much appreciated.  Thanx in advance.
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23523 Signins

803305 Page Views

• Views: 803305
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-02-10, 19:20 PM
I expect that if you call Lenovo with your credit card in hand you'll have the disks as quickly as you would if someone here burned a set and mailed them to you.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

1 Posts

01-26-2009

Madison, WI

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 5 of 5

2009-01-26, 4:19 AM

I seem to have trouble similar to the path you have been down.

How did you get the external drive with the ophrack to boot? I have been in BIOS and can't find a way to get the external CD/DVD to boot.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms