Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

12-06-2007

United States of America

109 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 1 of 4

rebuilding system from sp1 base

2008-07-19, 11:29 AM

Hi, after some software crashes I need to rebuild my system.  I'd prefer to build from the Vista SP1 DVD  I have and then add the Lenovo extras on top of that.  I have the Lenovo recovery CDs for Vista (pre SP1) but my concern is how and when do I have to install Repair and Recovery since I'm guessing it's sitting on its own partition and probably gets setup early in the install process.

Ideas?

Thanks

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: rebuilding system from sp1 base

2008-07-19, 15:23 PM

hello

i am assuming that you have two sets of vista installation discs(one the recovery and the other with sp1)better use the recovery cds ofcourse if your are not serious to install sp1 as of right now follow this method if you sue recovery cd's the rescue partition is created again 

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-07-19, 16:30 PM

As an alternative, you may use Vista sp1 setup disc to install Vista. What you have to do is installing it without deleting a recovery paritition--R&R partition. By the way, you will not be able to access that automatically after finished a Vista installation. You need to get yourself into System Update and install Rescue & Recovery program through it in order to restore the way to access the hidden partition.

Then you will be able to access R&R partition by pressing F11 right before getting into Vista.

Hope this help :smileywink:

Options

26 Posts

12-06-2007

United States of America

109 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-07-23, 3:42 AM

I decided to recover my system from a R&R backup (from an external USB drive) onto a larger replacement HDD.  So far so good--until it was time to reboot.  At that point, I got an error saying that NTLDR could not be found on the HDD.  With some Googling I was able to find that the Vista DVD could repair the bootstrap portion of the drive (although it took several passes).  I get into the system, everything is there; I'm able to access the R&R partition through the Thinkpad key--but when I load R&R from within Vista to gain access to my backups on the external USB, it doesn't see the backups and there doesn't seem to be very much in the R&R interface that would allow me to direct it to read the R&R backup files on the external USB drive.  (The system is able to see the drive; R&R is still setup to use the external USB drive)

I've done restores and upgraded drives before with other programs without these problems.  Both of these issues seem to be some pretty serious flaws in R&R.  Is there some documentation or some knowledge base discussion of this? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms