Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Views: 1197
  • Message 51 of 109

Re: x220t users: has anyone upgraded to windows 8 yet?

2012-11-19, 11:14 AM

Mathis - "I do not use the ultranav...."

Do you use anything in place of it, or just stock drivers, as is?  I ask because I need a way to add some of the functionality of Ultranav, without actually using ultranav...  It's good for palm rejection and for adjusting cursor speed on the trackpad and the eraser mouse joystick as well as adding some multi-touch/scrolling options to the trackpad.  I miss these features a lot, any way to get them back would be appreciated, but I need the middle mouse button, which works by default just fine without Ultranav, and is currently not available with ultranav... sigh.  Hoping a fix is coming soon.

I will be testing Wacom drivers shortly.

Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 52 of 109

2012-11-19, 16:24 PM

Mathis!  Multi-touch and "Pressure Sensitivity" are now working here!!!  It was just what you said, needed the Windows 7 Tablet PC drivers direct from Wacom.  The ones, for some reason, from the Lenovo Download site for me, refused to install, but direct from Wacom had no issues installing and are working great, just as usual.  There might still be something weird going on with my right click button.  It's still just making a circle and not doing what right-click normally does in the Windows section of things, but funny enough, it works fine in GIMP as a standard right click button, in windows, it's just making a circle and not bringing up the right-click context menu.  Perhaps some hidden setting some-where or a registry setting?

That's actually one of the bigger bullet points on my checklist crossed off, I might not be booting  back into Windows 7 for a while with that out of the way!

I would just only say, from my experience so far, that I need blue-tooth working next, it says it's installed but I can't get my headset going with it (works on W7) but anyways, from my experience so far, if you do a clean install, it wasn't an automatic process to get everything working, but perhaps I made some mistakes along the way, though that really should be possible if it were all automatic.  Anyways, things just got much better.

Options

63 Posts

09-17-2012

Colorado

85 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 53 of 109

2012-11-19, 18:37 PM

Excellent. I'm glad I could help. Now Lenovo needs to help everyone with a smooth transition to win 8. I'll probably go with a dual boot for now until they get things cleared up.

Bluetooth: I had a problem in beta with it. Someone, somewhere mentioned that they lost blue tooth in beta if it was left off in win 7. You might try that.

Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 54 of 109

2012-11-19, 19:09 PM

What about Ultranav question?

About Blue-tooth, I actually just made some progress and was coming here to post about it...

On the windows start menu, just start typing the word blue which opens the side search panel, switch the filter to "Settings" then go to change Bluetooth options, it will launch the control panel and you have to set devices to be discoverable (probably a good security idea to turn this back off once your done pairing all of your devices).  Next, repeat the above process but then instead of going to Bluetooth options, instead go to "add a Bluetooth device" or something along those lines.

I just didn't figure this out before, however, it's still not working for me.  When it searches for a device, it actually finds my Jawbone headset, however, I click on it, and I get an error message "That didn't work, try again and make sure the device is still discoverable".

This might be more of an issue with my headset, I don't know, it's partially discoverable but I can't get it to actually add to the device list yet.

EDIT: Fixed.  It was just my device.  Basically, there are several pop-up menus to go through as it's discovering the device, the first one just finds it, then you have to click on the device that it found that you want to pair, and after this bit, I had to press the button on my headset again because it was no longer ready to pair at this point, then it added to the device list partially, there is a progress bar, and I had to click the button yet again to get the progress bar to finish loading.  I haven't tested it, but it's in my devices, and I suspect it is working now.

Making a lot of progress here, enough to the point where I think I can just stay in Windows 8 for a while without any actual need of going into Win 7.  It seems only a few minor issues remain.  Perhaps in a short time the driver installations will be automatic via Windows Update and Lenovo Update, and then those with low patience for manual fiddling and tinkering could be recommended towards Windows 8.  Unfortunately, once I get this working 100%, I won't be re-installing anytime soon (fingers crossed) so I won't be able to report on when it is ready for that, someone else will have to take the plunge and actually come back to let us know if everything went smooth.

Options

63 Posts

09-17-2012

Colorado

85 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 55 of 109

2012-11-20, 2:39 AM

Jettatore: I uninstalled the nav driver early on as it would freeze at times when the system was asleep. I have no substitute. But as you describe it, I may be interested in using it if it ever works in win 8.

Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 56 of 109

2012-11-20, 18:36 PM

Small Update:  So bluetooth is tested and working, and it's connection performance is quite a bit improved over Windows 7.  Not sure if that's a W8 improvement or the drivers are just better or what.  My W7 blue-tooth was slightly flakey at times, hard to describe but it usually involved turning off and turning back on my headset to clear up the problem, sometimes more than once.  Since I've done it so many times, it's easy to see that the device connects much quicker in Windows 8.

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 57 of 109

2012-11-20, 21:26 PM
i think i might have a hardware bluetooth issue.

When it turns on, the bluetooth light turns on but as soon as windows 8 starts to boot (which is realllllyyy quick) it shuts off and windows doesn't recognize it, not as a unknown device or anything just doesn't exist. When I boot into ubuntu, at times it'll recognize it at times it won't.

THEN other times, It'll keep the bluetooth light on past boot (in windows) and it'll recognize bluetooth just fine, but if I move a round too much it shuts off or says usb not recognized.

I know this sounds like a loose module, so I opened it up and looked and the thing is taped down and securely attached, I don't think it can be anymore firmly attached.

I'm just going to get it fixed under warranty I guess
Options

21 Posts

06-14-2011

USA

149 Signins

516 Page Views

• Views: 516
  • Message 58 of 109

2012-11-21, 1:51 AM

Have you guys noticed a change in battery life under Win8?   Subjectively, it seems to be worse using Windows 8 default power settings versus Lenovo's power center drivers under Win7.   On the other hand, my battery is a year old now so it may not be up to snuff as it once was when new.  

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 59 of 109

2012-11-21, 1:55 AM
install power manager under compatibility mode. it should solve your battery woes
Options

21 Posts

06-14-2011

USA

149 Signins

516 Page Views

• Views: 516
  • Message 60 of 109

2012-11-21, 2:18 AM

Which one do I need to download?    Under the power managment driver section I see several files to download.  

Patch module for Power Manager for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad

Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 8 (32-bit, 8 64-bit) - Notebook

Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook

ThinkPad Power Manager Patch module for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms