Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Views: 1197
  • Message 61 of 109

Re: x220t users: has anyone upgraded to windows 8 yet?

2012-11-22, 12:07 PM
Vlangs. My Bluetooth is working good here, with one minor issue that may just be related to my device, which is a jawbone earpiece. Basically, the device won't let me pair it to multiple operating systems (which I guess would be the equivalent of being paired to several phones). Every time I successfully pair the device in one OS, it no longer works in the other OS and I have to continually repeat the process, perhaps there is some solution out there, otherwise, I figure this is just a limitation of the headset designed basically for use on Cell Phones in the first place.
Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 62 of 109

2012-11-23, 5:50 AM

Ok, so I've been playing a lot with Windows 8 now.  I actually love this OS, by far the best thing MS has ever created, and I'm not saying that lightly.  I'm very happy with it, I feel like I have been given a brand new computer, and after some practice it's much easier for me to navigate between many different programs and quickly find what I want.  It's really awesome.

Here's a good tips and tricks page I found personally useful: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-windows-8-tips-tricks-and-secrets-1028220/1#articleContent

All of the drivers and devices seem to be working 100% on the X220T, no complaints.  It was a decent bit of work to get it all setup, so again, wait for others to chime in and give the go-ahead for the day when all the software is handled via automatic update if you don't have a bit of patience and a free afternoon or two.  Otherwise, all systems go and it's quite good.  I'm very happy and I would highly recommend the upgrade.

My only outstanding request, is that for Ultranav drivers, Lenovo adds an options to use the middle TrackPoint Button as a genuine Middle Mouse Click button.  Outside of that, I'm pretty much in heaven.  Thanks to everyone in the thread and the people who make all of this stuff, I'm set.  Cheers -Jet

Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 63 of 109

2012-11-23, 10:52 AM

Awesome news!  If you forgoe the Ultranav driver from Lenovo (I tried it again and it's a cut down version of the most recent Windows 7 version), and instead install the newest generic Synaptic driver (they are the company who makes the trackpoint and touchpad for Lenovo) it works great in Windows 8 + x220.  You get multi-touch gestures for Windows 8 all set up nicely by default, you can set your cursor speeds just how you want them, Middle button is configurable and by default is set to "Middle Mouse Button"  (awesome) palm rejection options, two finger scrolling options for the trackpad, etc. etc..  Works great.  Awesome.

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Then just click the link at the top for the Windows 8 version, works like a charm.  v16.2.21 at the time of this posting.

My setup is fully complete and better than ever.  Cheers.

Options

21 Posts

06-14-2011

USA

149 Signins

516 Page Views

• Views: 516
  • Message 64 of 109

2012-11-24, 1:21 AM

Are you able to enable the Lonovo turbo boost in Windows 8?   

What drivers did you install from Lenovo?  

Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 65 of 109

2012-11-24, 4:31 AM

I haven't check on turbo-boost yet actually, but it did cross my mind and then I forgot about it.  I'll get back to you on that.

Sorry I don't have an organized repeatable approach, it was a sort of disorganized process for me but it worked out in the end.  If I had to do it again and there were updates changes while I was going, including changes to the drivers download pages, so it would be different to do it again, -I would install all windows updates first, then install Lenovo update and let it install everything it could find, noting down each piece of software it found and installed, then compare the results of this to the official x220 drivers page and install anything left to be safe.  Then specifically find the Wacom tablet pc drivers directly from them and install those and if for some reason Ultranav got installed, manually uninstall it and install the generic TrackPoint drivers straight from Synaptics which are in my opinion far superior (your opinion may or may not vary here, up to you).  That should basically finish off any installation.

Also my system page now lists the screen as having "pen and limited touch support with 10 touch points" before it said the same thing but had, 2 touch points (which win 7 factory install is also saying, 2 touch points...) anywas, touch works great on here, so does the pen/pressure, tested in painting applications etc.

*You can skip the stuff below if you don't feel like wasting time reading what may be pointless now...

Off the top of my head.  installed all windows updates first.  Installed intel chipset, and intel disk driver from beta page (Lenovo update actually found an even newer version here at a later time).  Gladly preferred synaptics driver for trackpad/trackpoint.  Installed Tablet PC drivers straight from Wacom. 

installed Lenovo update and Let Lenovo update do everything it could but before that installed most every win 8 listed driver from the main (non-beta) x220 driver matrix page (fingerprint, Bluetooth, camera, media reader, power management driver, etc. etc. (some drivers I did install from the beta page but at some point I switched over to the main drivers page), I don't think I left anything out from the main drivers page, either it worked or did not install (I think the one or two 'did not installs' came off the beta drivers page if I remember correctly).

Options

24 Posts

02-07-2008

Minneapolis, MN

55 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 66 of 109

2012-11-25, 18:38 PM

Did you get the gobi card working too  (Wireless MC 8355 Gobi 3000)?

Options

95 Posts

11-15-2012

United States

290 Signins

1197 Page Views

• Message 67 of 109

2012-11-25, 20:10 PM

I don't have a Gobi in this build

Options

63 Posts

09-17-2012

Colorado

85 Signins

460 Page Views

• Views: 460
  • Message 68 of 109

2012-11-26, 0:01 AM

Nevermind

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 69 of 109

2012-11-26, 0:07 AM
I have my set up (save for my defective bluetooth) working 100%.

Install windows 8 power management drivers
download power manager the program.
run the extractor but DO NOT install power manager
go to the extracted location (usually SWTOOLS) and run the power manager setup in windows 7 compatibility.
Restart
Everything is working great, I have my battery charging only to 98% and only once it's lower than 35%, turbo boost works like it used to, Gaming framerates on medium (call of duty: MW3 is totally playable again)

What else were you guys trying to get done?
The only thing from Jettatore's post that I don't have is the "10 finger touch" I only have 2 finger, but it is super smooth. Doesn't our computer only support 2 finger? I'll take a look into the 10 finger wacom driver, if it supports 10 finger I totally will upgrade that as that is a huge upgrade (even five finger is) I do remember some lenovo gestures that required 4 finger pinching? I think it locked the computer, so one could assume that there are multi-points available.

other than that, I have a 100% fully functional system, and I love it. i'd be glad to help
Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 70 of 109

2012-11-26, 0:17 AM
btw, wacom doesn't have windows 8 drivers for "tablet pc" on their website...I wonder what drivers I'd need to install to try that out
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms