Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwiles217
Paper Tape
Views: 1,743
Message 1 of 3

4G Support with Sierra Wireless/X220T for Verizon 4G LTE

All,

I'd really like to be able to purchase a wireless cellular card for my X220T that is capable of connecting with Verizon 4G LTE at 4G LTE speeds.  

This is particular of interest since Verizon is strongly looking into Family Data Share Plans where testing is to begin either 2nd Quarter or 3rd Quarter this year.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/02/28/verizon.to.bring.out.shared.data.plans.in.summer/

I contacted Sierra Wireless  about their AirPrime cards and they say that Lenovo has to flash the cards with some stuff before they can actually work on the Lenovo laptops.  

So, I'd really like to be able to have one of the 4G AirPrime cards ready when Family Data Plans are made available.  I can turn my phone into a wireless hotspot.  However, that drains the battery really really fast (about 1% a minute).  The integrated solution is therefore the more ideal solution even when considering a card vs a usb stick.  I'm guessing the card would draw less power.  Plus you don't have to worry about carrying around a usb stick you may lose.

This card should be tested to work with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.  And there should be a way to toggle power to the card on/off just like with bluetooth and wifi.

This list of AirPrime cards Sierra Wireless makes are here:

http://www.sierrawireless.com/productsandservices/AirPrime/Wireless_Modules/High-speed.aspx

I think the one that is needed for Verizon is the MC7750 which will work on 4G LTE and then connect at 3G speeds if 4G is not available in that area.

I would think that you could piggy back most of the work you did for the MC8355 card that is already an option for the X220T.  I would guess that getting the first card to work would be the hardest.  The other could potentially mostly be a cut and paste (with a few tweaks).

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,552
Message 2 of 3

Re: 4G Support with Sierra Wireless/X220T for Verizon 4G LTE

I'm also wondering whether there will be Lenovo support for MC7710 (LTE in Europe) in X220 http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-support-for-Sierra-Wireless-MC7710-WWAN/t...   Yes, I could have waited for X230 but because of the ruined keyboard layout I had to buy X220. I'm sure it is technically possible but I fear Lenovo will not be willing to suport LTE cards in older models.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 488
Message 3 of 3

Re: 4G Support with Sierra Wireless/X220T for Verizon 4G LTE

Hi All,

I would confirm MC7304 is working fine on X220T after BIOS was modified to 1.42 (almost latest). I've tried to install MC7455 as well but currently still no luck ..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors