cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elmsleigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 792
Message 21 of 32

Re: 512GB PCIe hard drive available on ThinkPad Helix 2nd Generation?

Just want to report a retail Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe drive doesn't work on the Helix 2. Just tried it, doesn't want to boot.

bstone108
Paper Tape
Views: 789
Message 22 of 32

updated compatability list

SSD;  

Any m.2 sata card

wwan cards.

Helix 2 ships with a range of cards, for those who are unlucky like me and got a sierra em7345 card which is a buggy extremely unreliable card that only worked 40% of the time. Lucky unlike past lenovo products, the helix 2 isn't locked down to a specific card.  I installed the sierra em7455 card and haven't had a problem since, had to make a gps antenna though. Please note, after installing any card, even if windows recognizes it from the start, it won't work till you install official driver package and/or your carriers firmware. till then it'll claim there's no sim installed.

known wwan cards to work well;

sierra em7455

Known not working devices

Sierra EM7345 works 40% of the time, and what's pathetic is this is the primary card they ship in the helix 2. in fact avoid any wwan card that's based on intel chipsets, none of them work reliably at this point. qualcom based devices work great.

Samsung nvme and pro. recently the pro was tested and found not to work. thanks elmsleigh for reporting the results of your test.

elmsleigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 758
Message 23 of 32

Just for completeness' sake I found a 950 Pro 256GB retail SSD and found that it works as advised. And yes it does seem to be much quicker than the original LiteOn 128GB SSD. Thank you all!

EekHelpSpike
Paper Tape
Views: 751
Message 24 of 32

Sorry the 960 pro didn't work.  Good to hear you got it working with the 950 pro, though.  Thanks for the update.

vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 665
Message 25 of 32

I have run across a lot of sites with bad information, makes me wonder about the motivations of the author.

Lenovo does use whitelists but the mini PCI Express slot and hard disk bay are not blocked so you can install as much sorages as you can afford

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
udippel
Punch Card
Views: 395
Message 26 of 32

I know, the thread is very old.

I have the chance to buy one with a PCIe disk; though I found quite a number of posts elsewhere warning, that battery life would suffer from PCIe disks. 

Can anyone please comment on this aspect?

bstone108
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 27 of 32

Well your question kinda makes no sense, because that's what the device uses for a hard drive when it ships from factory is a pcie drive and there's no room inside for a standard hard drive of any sort.  It'll run on any pcie drive you install as long as it's not an nvme drive. [and is the right length to fit in the slot Smiley Happy ]

Swapping it for a larger one does not effect battery life.

udippel
Punch Card
Views: 382
Message 28 of 32

Thanks a lot, this is what I actually thought. But well, you know, some people says not-so-clever things.
I was asking because that was what I read w.r.t. a machine that I contemplate to buy, it has a 512 GB drive (not the average Helix 2 drive), used Dr. Google, and became scared when I encountered some who said battery life would be awful with this drive.
bstone108
Paper Tape
Views: 381
Message 29 of 32

I gave mine to my brother, but prior to giving it to him I had upgraded it with a 1tb drive.  originally shipped with a 128. No change in battery life. So even if it did effect the battery life in some way it's not enough to worry with because even after the upgrade I still averaged 6-10 hours depending on my usage. Do keep in mind I also had the pro keyboard which has an additional battery built in to expand your battery life,  without it battery life is typically 4 hours or less, but again I had no noticable effect on the device.

dapupster
Serial Port
Views: 209
Message 30 of 32

bumping this...so it seems like NO M.2 NVME drives work w/ helix 2? Seems like ONLY the Samsung 950 Pro NVMe PCIe will work (as far as NVME drives go)? In addition to ANY SATA based M.2?

That sound right?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/512GB-PCIe-hard-drive-available-on-ThinkPa...

I'm confused by this statement:

"So based on everyones testing so far and my own research, the helix 2 does not support nvme devices for booting, only sata which means the nvme evo devices won't work.  However it appears retail pro devices do work."

So bstone108 is saying in the first sentence that the helix 2 does not support NVME devices for booting...but then in the second sentence, he appears to contradict this and say that "retail pro devices do work..." What is the case? NO NVME devices work? Or only the Samsung 950 Pro NVME???

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors