Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laurentiu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,740
Message 121 of 160

Re: Air Bubble In LCD Screen X61 Tablet

I should also add to this thread. I have a 7767 96U model, and it's out of warranty. I am currently in Romania, and around here parts are outrageously priced. My bubbles have started to grow slowly about more than one year ago. Now I have very affected areas, one on the right side, just at the bezel, a whopping 6 cm long bubble, and on the bootom, I have two large ones, one 6.5 cm, and another 3 cm. There are also other smaller ones, around.  I have been patient and enduring, perhaps too long. Reading what Fakeer said I realised that the issue might be simpler, if we actually found a way to service it. I mean, buying a whole new screen just for the glass cover above, seems irresponsible or too large-wallet-y.

I am really curious how Fakeer is doing, but this helpful forum hasn't found a way to use pm's. I would ask a mod to send him a poke if possible. Has anyone for that matter been able to replace the glass covering of the LCD getting rid of the bubbles in the process?

Would it be possible to unglue the glass from the screen and then re-place it back without the liquid that creates the bubbles? In my case I fear that I'm going to breack the record. Perhaps, with endurance, (this is dark humour) the bubbles would grow so big to expand beyond the screen and then the problem would be solved. However furstrating that wait might had been, it has been rendered unlikely as new bubbles tend to form at the edge, and push the other towards the middle of the screen... And it seems that all X61T SXGA+ owners realise that they have a last generation of true mohicans and they are hard to get by on ebay from used tablets, except for screens only and only a few offer them.

So how's everyone's experience? Thanks.

koray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,738
Message 122 of 160

Hi Laurentiu,

My experience is that the bonded glass is very hard to remove from the LCD unit. First, the adhesive is a very messy sticky and strong one. I had hard time in cleaning the leaked stuff, I can't think of cleaning the LCD itself even if the front glass is off. Second, the front glass is possibly stronger than the LCD, so it may pull the top LCD layer and damage/crack it in the process. Despite the other users' claims I don't think anyone ever removed the front bonded glass from the LCD. Some of the posters here have no idea of how the whole thing is assembled (you can see that after reading the whole thread).

I got my LCD replaced for free within the last month of warranty. When it was being installed I took the chance to apply a strip of strong silicone sealant at the edges where the front glass meets the LCD frame. I don't know if this has helped, but after one year of continuous use no bubbles have appeared yet. Actually, there were tiny bubbles at the edges of the new replacement LCD (under the bezel), but they didn't develop into full bubbles yet (knock on wood).

So, yes I have been looking around for a future replacement for my beautiful X61T 12" SXGA+ IPS screen, but no eligible products at the horizon yet. Truly the last generation of true mohicans.

Good luck,

Koray.

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 11,730
Message 123 of 160

How to remove the glass-plate

Alternative link

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
koray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,724
Message 124 of 160

@Mornsgrans wrote:

How to remove the glass-plate

This is stunning work, look at the amount of effort involved in removing the glass. WOW, really.

Thanks for sharing.

K.

Laurentiu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,610
Message 125 of 160

Wow. O_o. This fast response is blowing me away. Even more if I could actually open the link. Unfortunately it's gone away. I've been somewhat busy to come back, but my bubbles are multiplying and I am really curious. After the evaluation period finishes I'll take my chances, but could you, Mornsgrans repost the address? I'll try searching again for it, but for me the URL isn't working...

Thanks. 

Laurentiu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,608
Message 126 of 160

Wohoo. O_o, o_O, I figured this is the relevant thread Smiley Very Happy.
http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/130036-SXGA-direkt-bonding-Glasscheibe-intakt-abgelöst

Mornsgrans, was this the thread that you indicated, but it was moved?

When I see this amount of dedication, I am encouraged to be a part of this community.

I am definitely going to try it when I look at my bubbles.
Guru
Views: 11,595
Message 127 of 160

The domain thinkpad-wiki.org is moving at the moment.

Meanwhile use this link:

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%...

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
faelnor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,522
Message 128 of 160

Hey guys, just wanted to report another case of bubbles under the glass. X61T was bought in Nov. 2007 and sadly out of warranty since a while ago. The X61T is a fantastic little machine, still quite powerful by today's standards so it's pretty sad to see it degrade like that. Strange manufacturing default in the more recent ThinkPad series I suppose, as my old X40 looks pristine in comparison. Makes one doubt about buying again for sure :{

I'm not going to remove the glass like the above poster, it's a bit too risky for my taste, so I'll just despair in front of the ever-growing bubbles and hope the tablet doesn't become unusable too quickly.

Guru
Views: 11,517
Message 129 of 160

I've recently bought four of these machines, all developed bubbles to different extents, but were still covered under warranty. Three are done, one remains scheduled for sometime later this week...

What makes the whole experience even more outlandish is the fact that I've owned several X60 tablets with SXGA+ panels and none of them had developed this issue...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
faelnor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,374
Message 130 of 160

The bubbles are starting to get very annoying, so I'm planning to get one of those over eBay during the next months but I'm a bit wary of the quality of the display. I think the SXGA+ X61T (FRU 93P5609) boasts a beautiful IPS display, not the brightest screen I have used but with very wide viewing angles and nice colours. I'm afraid buying online will get me a crappy TN with bad coating and cheap digitizer.

Anyone with experience of buying replacement screens on eBay?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors