Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,394
Message 51 of 160

Re: Air Bubble In LCD Screen X61 Tablet

Well, it was a polite way of saying "Keep on engaging in the discussion and let us know the required information, don't just disappear", sometimes users come and pose questions but we rarely hear from 'em again Smiley Sad

Anyway, the part you require is 93P5609 per HMM.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

dchoylenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,359
Message 52 of 160

Just starting to have the same bubble issues as everyone else, unfortunately outside of warranty.

Since mine is a 7764-CTO, for clarification, what is the difference between the LCD P/N 13N7235 mentioned at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67024 and P/N 93P5609 per HMM?  Are they interchangeable?

rbgorbet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,341
Message 53 of 160

I actually have the same question, though it's unlikely I will spend the money to replace this unless it gets really bad.

A further question: it seems the prices for 13N7235 vary widely (like, from $800 to $250), and I'm guessing that one potential reason is that some include the digitizer and some don't.  Is there a way to be sure by part number, what you're getting?  Could one rescue the digitizer from a "bubbled" screen and add it to a "cheap" 13N7235 that doesn't have the digitizer?

Thanks,

Rob.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,326
Message 54 of 160

It appears one of them is an old part number and the other new, regardless both are compatible. For CTO model, I suggest doing parts lookup to find the correct LCD FRU for your tablet.

Both part numbers include the digitizer assembly unless the place you're buying it from specifically says otherwise. At most places that I've looked the price varies because some are selling genuine lenovo parts and others compatible LCDs.

Genuine: http://www.acsparts.com/93P5609-ThinkPad.html

Compatible: http://www.247laptoplcd.com/servlet/the-93726/IBM-93P5609-LAPTOP-LCD/Detail

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

mindlink
Paper Tape
Views: 1,275
Message 55 of 160

Another case is here. I bought two x61ts at the same time. Weired enough, only one of them started getting air bubbles at the right up and down coners of the LCD screen. Conviniently, my laptop is out of warranty. As time goes on, I got more bubbles. Of course, my tablet was NOT abused.

My first ThinkPad laptop purchased in 1997 still works great, though it is slow. My cuurent x61t purchased in a couple of years ago becomes useless because those bubbles block the screen.

As far as I understood, ThinkPads have a different product positioning in market from other cheap vendors. So, I hope that Lenovo takes a serious action for this air-bubble issue in order to keep valuable current / future cumstomers.

Otherwise, it may be better for curstomers to get a cheap non-ThinkPad laptop every two years.

danielmbarton
What's DOS?
Views: 1,246
Message 56 of 160

You can add my 4 year old X61T to the list of machines with air bubbles in the display.  My bubble is in the top right corner and is currently a triangle about 1 cm wide and 1 cm high, and unfortunately is gradually getting bigger.

My 3 year extended warranty ended last year.  Right before the warranty ran out my motherboard burned up, which was replaced under the warranty along with the keyboard and monitor bezel.  Could replacing the bezel lead to the bubble issue?

I'm not sure what to do.  I hate to spend a lot of money fixing a 4 year old machine.  I feel that Lenovo should own up to a manufacturers defect, even if the machine is out of warranty, given the number of people reporting this issue.

Hey Lenovo, I'm local to your HQ in Raleigh, NC if you want to take a look at my machine.

Regards, Daniel

koray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,222
Message 57 of 160

Update:

Last week the air bubble problem in my X61 tablet was repaired under warranty. My sincere thanks go to Lenovo UK for obtaining the part and arranging the repair within eight working days! The technician was quite surprised with the gooey stuff coming out of the LCD. He said that it is a first for him. The tablet buttons are also stuck with the goo, which calls for another repair. I am lucky to have warranty till the end of August!

I am suspecting the strong sticky tape between the front bezel and the LCD. Looks like it is lifting the glass cover off the LCD and causing air bubbles forming due to negative pressure between two. I asked the technician to omit the adhesive strip when reassembling. Another thing: once the warranty is over on my machine, I will apply a thin strip of epoxy or silicone sealant between the metal LCD frame and the front glass. In the original design there is nothing except the gel goo holding two.

Cheers,

Koray

rbgorbet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,219
Message 58 of 160

This is really interesting, because ever since I first received my X61t, the front bezel has been "lifted" a bit from the LCD, leaving enough space for my fingernail to slip easily between the bezel and the LCD, along the centre 4" of the screen above the hinge (from about the mic location, to about 1" left of the cursor pad).  My IT guys (it's a work laptop) said "get the 3 year warrantee and just wait and see if anything goes wrong."

In addition to the bubbles, which in my case are half-way between the hinge and the cursor pad, just above the bezel, I see "gooey sticky stuff" oozing out from beneath the bezel above the screen orientation and toolkit buttons.  It seems like the adhesive problems you mention aren't limited to your machine.

I'm wondering whether the problem is exacerbated by heat, because I've noticed the bubbles and oozing getting worse as my fan gets louder.  I've just received a replacement fan/heat sink in the mail and will do that replacement tomorrow.  In the process, I will try to clean the LCD of the goo, and the inside of the bezel, and maybe apply some kind of epoxy to the bottom of the LCD as suggested after seeing if I can gently press out the bubbles.

Has anyone successfully replaced the LCD themselves and if so, where did you get the parts for it?  I've seen prices online ranging from $180 to over $700.

Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning the adhesive off the LCD without damaging the surface, and/or for epoxy/sealant to use around the edge of the LCD?

Has anyone successfully pressed out the bubbles from their LCD?

Thanks!

Rob.

rbgorbet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,196
Message 59 of 160

So this weekend I opened up my X61 and replaced the fan.  I took out the LCD panel at the same time and cleaned off the adhesive around the bezel and the panel.  It looks like pretty standard double-sided adhesive tape, about 3mm wide all around the edge between the bezel and the panel.

Interestingly, it peels off really nicely from both sides and the top, but at the bottom it is all goopy and runny.  I think again, because this is part of the laptop which gets hot, and I suspect that heat has something to do with the bubble formation as well.  I was able to remove the goopy part and the residual around the bezel and the screen using QTips and a non-acetone nail polish remover.

I did not replace the adhesive before putting the laptop back together again, because I anticipate replacing the screen soon if I can find one fairly inexpensively.   But once a new panel is in there I will use regular double-sided adhesive to reseal the edges.

I was not successful in 'pressing out' the bubbles from the LCD, perhaps not wanting to exert excessive pressure on the panel.  Fortunately they seem fairly stable for the past couple of weeks, perhaps because I've been using my laptop a lot less.

All reassembled, I now have a problem though.  The keyboard will not respond if the laptop wakes from sleep, or restarts.  It needs to be powered down and powered up again, in which case the keyboard works just fine.  I can't imagine what might be causing that; I've tried reseating the keyboard connector a few times, to no avail.  I've tried uninstalling the keyboard in software, and reinstalling the drivers.  It's as if the keyboard has a full power down state and a sleep state that it enters on software restart/hibernate/sleep, and it won't come out of sleep properly.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Rob.

rbgorbet
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,192
Message 60 of 160

Hunh.  So I found a workaround in another thread, but reposting here as people in this one are interested in replacing their LCDs.  Apparently at least one other person has experience this symptom after an LCD replacement.  The keyboard doesn't work coming out of sleep.  The workaround, which seems to work every time, is to press any of the buttons on the LCD bezel.  Then the keyboard will start responding.  This isn't an issue when powering up from shut down, only when coming out of sleep.  Odd, but at least the workaround isn't that onerous...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors