cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbsurf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,253
Message 1 of 6

[App] Write - a word processor for handwriting (freeware)

Write is a word processor for handwriting, available as freeware for Windows tablet PCs.  Write provides a unique new way to work with handwriting: ruled mode.  Ruled mode groups strokes into lines which can be edited nearly as easily as typed text in Microsoft Word.  When ruled mode is off, Write behaves like a typical vector drawing application.  Watch the demo video to get started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58bN5ht-MtU

Currently, Write has only been tested on a Thinkpad X61 tablet, where the Wacom pen tablet driver was necessary for pen input to work correctly.  If strokes look jagged, please make sure the Wacom driver is installed.

Features:

• tools: draw, erase, select, insert space, and add bookmark
  • move strokes and insert space in multiples of the page's ruling
  • reflow handwritten text with the insert space tool
  • cut, copy, paste selection
  • undo/redo jog dial for quickly moving through document history
  • insert bookmarks and labeled with handwriting
  • user defined page size and ruling
  • pages can grow automatically as you write
  • html/svg document format viewable in Chrome and Firefox

Download and more info: http://www.styluslabs.com/writebeta/

Comments, bug reports, and feature requests can be posted to this thread; I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

-- Matt

Chimuel
Serial Port
Views: 2,219
Message 2 of 6

Re: [App] Write - a word processor for handwriting (freeware)

Tested on X220 Tablet (multitouch)

The video was great, so I downloaded the program immediately.

I wish the windows version would have the same menu bar as the Android version, it looks better.

Another thing I noticed is that this program did not support the eraser side of the pen for my X220T.

It's very clear that this program is still in beta form... consider looking at Windows Journal for inspiration/ideas.

--

Chimuel

X220 Tablet Multitouch: Intel Core i7 2640m, 8GB RAM, 80GB Intel 310 Series mSata + 320GB 7200rpm 2.5", Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN, Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0, Fingerprint Reader, 720P Webcam, Battery 6-cell 52+ and 6-cell slice 19+
pbsurf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,199
Message 3 of 6

Hi Chimuel,

Thanks for the feedback.  Do you have the Wacom pen tablet driver installed?  I think it is necessary for the eraser side of the pen to work.

What features of Windows Journal would you most like to see?

-- Matt

Chimuel
Serial Port
Views: 2,170
Message 4 of 6

Yes, I am using Wacom drivers. Windows Journal has pen pressure sensitivity settings and a highlighter mode. Automatic page fit would be nice as well. Lastly, is there any way you can incorporate an export to pdf function?

I like the 'undo wheel' a lot! The insert space function is much easier than in Windows Journal as well.

--

Chimuel

X220 Tablet Multitouch: Intel Core i7 2640m, 8GB RAM, 80GB Intel 310 Series mSata + 320GB 7200rpm 2.5", Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN, Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0, Fingerprint Reader, 720P Webcam, Battery 6-cell 52+ and 6-cell slice 19+
pbsurf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,130
Message 5 of 6

I've uploaded a new version of Write to http://www.styluslabs.com/writebeta/  This version adds the ability to save a document as a single HTML file for easy sharing while retaining editability.  Hopefully this is a reasonable alternative to PDF export.

You can get something like a highlighter effect by using a semitransparent color for the pen but, yes, pen selection needs some work.

-- Matt

Chimuel
Serial Port
Views: 2,113
Message 6 of 6

I have yet to try this out but thanks for the quick update! A single HTML file is nice but another alternative I'll be using is using a PDF Printer (bullzip to be precise).

I'll be back to update how this one works!

--

Chimuel

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors