cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,389
Message 11 of 26

Re: Battery health mode no longer in settings app - how can I change?

would the old ThinkVantage Power Manager would be back on ThinkPad?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,385
Message 12 of 26

@lead_org wrote:
would the old ThinkVantage Power Manager would be back on ThinkPad?

I don't understand your question as it is phrased, but maybe you are asking if Power Manager still has custom charge thresholds, and the answer is Yes.  But Power Manager is only for Win7, it is not for Win8.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,378
Message 13 of 26

what i am saying is whether Windows 8 would ever get something like the ThinkVantage Power Manager used in the win 7, where we can set custom battery charge threshold and do recalibration?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
glennschatz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,367
Message 14 of 26

@Bermbeard wrote:

@glennschatz wrote:

I'd like an actual answer to the why portion, not just a "it doesn't do anything" answer.

That's ridiculous. 

someotherguy gave you a satisfactory answer. 

Actually, no, it isn't ridiculous, nor satisfactory.  I maintained an industrial metal-acid battery in a previous life and I know how complicated batteries can be.  I don't claim to know enough about Li Ion batteries to know exactly the optimal maintinance of my laptop battery, but I have seen a lot of things posted by supposed experts or customer service reps online to know that they don't always understand them either.  

When I'm on the road, I have no problem maintaining the charge between 30-90%.  When I am using it in my home office (which is quite frequent), I always keep it plugged in, mostly so I don't have to change my screen brightness and other power settings every time I unplug it.  I know it is a minor inconvenience, but I set up my life to avoid minor inconveniences, so if there was a solution for this, why get rid of it?  I would also consider reverting to an earlier software version, as well as not being able to update software in the future, an inconvenience.  So, my point is not mute, nor is it moot which is the word you should have used in this case.

Again, my issue was with the assertion that it didn't do anything which is patently false.  If the rep would have said what you said and then said, something like "But the feature is not useful to enough customers, so we got rid of it," I would be a little annoyed, but would likely not have responded - but that isn't what he/she said, which is why I did ask for further clarification.

Also, thanks for the scare quotes, but I said "researchers" to be concise because the people I have spoken to at various points about Li Ion batteries are literally researchers in relevent fields - they come at it from different angles including science and engineering, but talking to a microbiologist or a civil engineer wouldn't really be that useful in this case, would it?  

Thank you someotherguy for your updated answer.  I appreciate it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,355
Message 15 of 26

@lead_org wrote:
what i am saying is whether Windows 8 would ever get something like the ThinkVantage Power Manager used in the win 7, where we can set custom battery charge threshold and do recalibration?

There is currently no plan for this.  I think it will never happen.

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 1,322
Message 16 of 26

@glennschatz wrote:

@Bermbeard wrote:

@glennschatz wrote:

I'd like an actual answer to the why portion, not just a "it doesn't do anything" answer.

That's ridiculous. 

someotherguy gave you a satisfactory answer. 

When I'm on the road, I have no problem maintaining the charge between 30-90%.  When I am using it in my home office (which is quite frequent), I always keep it plugged in, mostly so I don't have to change my screen brightness and other power settings every time I unplug it.  I know it is a minor inconvenience, but I set up my life to avoid minor inconveniences, so if there was a solution for this, why get rid of it?  I would also consider reverting to an earlier software version, as well as not being able to update software in the future, an inconvenience.  So, my point is not mute, nor is it moot which is the word you should have used in this case.

So you've talked to researchers in various fields about Li-Ion batteries and they did not advise you against "always keep it plugged in"? 

If not, you now know that keeping a Li-Ion plugged in 24/7 is not ideal -- even when a software package forces your battery to under charge, the AC-to-DC (brick) is still drawing some (small amount of) power. 

Regardless, this is a hybrid laptop with pretty decent battery life, typically meant for mobile users. Is it possible you're using your device in an atypical way? 

While I do use my Helix around the house, I rarely ever leave it plugged in over night, and never leave it plugged in throughout the day. When I'm traveling I bring my 90W charger and bump charge when necessary, but just because there's an outlet I don't always need to top off. 

Also, It's cute you pointed out the difference between mute and moot, I wonder if you could shame the spell check tool into learning the difference. At least now I know to send my rough copy to my editor, for proof reading, before attempting to make a quick reply to you.

Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
MattiMk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,285
Message 17 of 26

I had the 50 % charge setting in place, and now when the battery health mode has been deleted, I cannot charge more than 50 % to the battery. I have downloaded the latest sw but it won't change the situation.

What can I do? Is there an old version of settings dependency sw available so that I could change my charging bact to 100 % mode?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,282
Message 18 of 26

MattiMk

What system do you have?

The Battery Health Mode setting has been removed, the battery should always charge to 100%.

Make sure you have the latest version of the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package installed:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS031946

MattiMk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,270
Message 19 of 26

I have X1 Carbon touch with Windows pro 8.1 (type 3460-AQG).

I have the latest Lenovo settings dependency package installed. I don't have the battery health mode any more. Battery is at the moment at 48 % level, charger is connected but the battery is not being charged. Yesterday I let the charging level to fall under 45 %, and the charging started again but stopped at the level of 50 %

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,268
Message 20 of 26

MattiMk

I have not heard of this problem before.  I would try to uninstall the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package and reboot.  Will the battery charge now?  Then try re-install Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors