cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notherenow
Paper Tape
Views: 4,442
Message 1 of 26

Battery health mode no longer in settings app - how can I change?

I want to change the battery mode of my Helix to 'Fully charge' but since the latest update to Settings App the Battery health mode has gone and the Helix will only chareg the tablet to 50%.  Is there any way to change this somewhere else other than in the Settings App? 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,371
Message 2 of 26

Re: Battery health mode no longer in settings app - how can I change?

Battery Health Mode has been removed from Lenovo Settings, and the battery should always fully charge.

Can you please make sure you have installed the latest version of Lenovo Settings Dependency Package?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS031946

Notherenow
Paper Tape
Views: 4,339
Message 3 of 26

Yes, I have installed this update but I am not totally convinced that it was installed correctly.  I think that it is all part of the huge issues that I am having since installing Windows 8.1. 

themeo
Paper Tape
Views: 4,286
Message 4 of 26

Do you have any idea why the policy has been changed and now the battery should always fully charge? I've read many times that keeping Li-Ion batteries at 40-50% prolongs their lifetime.

glennschatz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,225
Message 5 of 26

Yes, please let us know what other options there are for maximizing battery life, and perhaps why this was removed from the Dependency Package.

glennschatz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,218
Message 6 of 26

I have a ThinkPad Twist and since the new dependecy package upgrade for Windows 8.1, the battery health feature as been removed from the Dependency Package/Settingas. How do we minimize cycles (i.e. prolong battery life while keeping it plugged in) with the new 8.1 Dependency Package? The Optimized for Battery Health mode is no longer an option.  Why not?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,177
Message 7 of 26

Battery Health Mode was removed is because it offers no benefit unless the PC is always plugged in, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for many months.  Nobody really uses their notebook PC this way, so this is the reason why the setting is removed.  Battery Health Mode had nothing to do with minimizing charge cycles, since it just changed the charge threshold from 100% to 50%.  As long as you ever use your PC unplugged, even occassionally, Battery Health Mode gives you no benefit.

glennschatz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,148
Message 8 of 26

I keep my laptop plugged in at home.  There are a lot of myths around battery life, but one of the things that I have been told by a number of poeple I trust with knowledge of lithium ion batteries (like, actual researchers) have told me that keeping it at full charge all the time is not healthy for the battery.  If it was not necessary, why did it exist before?  I imagine it was for this reason.   I'd like an actual answer to the why portion, not just a "it doesn't do anything" answer.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,134
Message 9 of 26

@glennschatz wrote:

keeping it at full charge all the time is not healthy for the battery.  

I agree with your statement, but you don't keep the battery at full charge all the time.  All the time means continuously, 24/7/365.  Li-Ion batteries should not be stored at 100% for long-term, but charging them to 100% in regular use is OK.  This is what the battery is designed to do (e.g. be used).

The setting was removed because it caused way too much confusion, and people were using it incorrectly (e.g. changing the setting depending on their day-to-day usage of the system).  The setting was only intended if you keep your system ALWAYS plugged in (this was explained in the setting text), but people were changing the setting for other reasons.  It led to confusion, customer dissatisfaction (when the battery would only charge to 50% because someone forgot about this setting), tech support calls, and warranty claims.  Plus the fact that the setting has no benefit for the way 99.99% of laptop users use their PC, these are all the reasons why the setting was removed.

Bermbeard
Serial Port
Views: 4,129
Message 10 of 26

@glennschatz wrote:

I'd like an actual answer to the why portion, not just a "it doesn't do anything" answer.

That's ridiculous. 

someotherguy gave you a satisfactory answer. 

Li-ion do need to band-gap charge, but a hybrid laptop like this will (in most customers hands) never remain at 100% -- from day to day; week to  week; before, during and after flights; around the house and outside, my Helix is anywhere from 30%-90% on any given day. 

Battery optimized power management, from the BIOS(Speedstep settings), OS (power settings/processor power management) and USER will suffice in extending the life of the cell.

Now, if we are talking about ALWAYS ON, that would require additional measure to manage (programatically). But, since you also have the options of reverting back to a previous software package, that point is moot. 

That's why it's ridiculous to make such demands. 

Oh, I also know this because I work for a company who sells battery packs (Ni-Cad, Li-ion, etc.), among other products. And I happen to speak to "researchers", scientists, engineers, and industrial designers from time to time. 

Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors