Message 2 of 16

Re: Before you buy a X230t , read this

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
SGolf
Punch Card
Views: 5,875
Message 3 of 16

I'll summarize that the above link is about a nightmarish experience from an infuriated (now former) ThinkPad owner. He is vigorously posting the multitude of his emotional distress and righteous indignation about the defects he noticed on the first day his x230t arrived.
----------------------
Whenever my employer received a defective ThinPad even if from the used depot... it was always promptly replaced and was accompanied with apologies. It has always been that way for years and Lenovo's attention to rectifying defects has always superseded all other manufacturers.
I can go on for hours about it, but when people ask me what kinda laptop to buy and why?
The short answer is we buy Thinkpads for their quality, and we keep buying them for the customer service.
Those people have never accused me of lying.

I have no idea why that author remains so unhappy
Signature:
Let us know what happened,and share your solutions so others may benefit from our experiences. "It doesn't really matter what kind of computers I own since right now the conversation is about the problems on the computers that YOU OWN!" -Mark Twain
ttran
SCSI Port
Views: 5,864
Message 4 of 16

There are reasons why the owner of that X230t so upset:

-He was one of the first people got the system. One would assume that the first laptop need to be controled in the post-production very accurately before arriving to user since it is first-hand experience, but he received a LEMON.

-All the defect that he got wasn't supposed to be in Thinkpad brand.

-He probably not provided accurate info about the system before he purchased it

I wasn't really support his first attitude either, but when I found mine X230t have the same kind of problem and more, I decided that I will say good bye to X thinkpad for now. 

I like thinkpad a lot, both quality and the look. The look is still there but the quality is not there anymore, all I need is a rock solid system, durable and last, feel strong on my hand. THE THINKPAD NOW IS NOT FOR GAME, NOR PROFFESIONAL, feel like lenovo really ruined it. My uncle X61t IBM still run so good and rock-solid feel still, doesn't feel cheap at all.

P/S: I don't care if Lenovo increase the price few hundred dollars more, as long as the quality is good. It took away 2 month of my summer ordering, receiving, angry, return, wait, refund, purchase, angry again and return. I'm tired!!!!!!!!! Feel like I'm gambling with my budget now trying to get some luck with the system

del_psi
Token Ring
Views: 5,804
Message 5 of 16

Here is a video comparing the X220t vs the X61t,

The X220t and the X230t use the same flawed digitizer with the X230t having a slightly better design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92CtZ4Loi2o&feature=related

hp79
HDMI
Views: 5,783
Message 6 of 16

I think this thread would have been better if someone compiled like a checklist of known problems (which Lenovo refuses to acknowledge) so that new users can go through all those when they first receive it. But new users probably wouldn't have come to this forum in the first place if they are looking to buy a X230T so I guess it is kind of useless.

That's my video haha. The digitizer is the same for X61T through X230T. It's the way they implemented the screen that made the accuracy worse.
I was one of the first group of people with X220T, and the digitizer accuracy on the edges of the screen was horrible. I was smart enough to return it back then. My advisor did not return hers, and even after the firmware update, it didn't help a bit.
X230T's digitizer accuracy is better than X220T, but nothing close to X61T, and still far from accurate.

I hated X220T because the digitizer, and thought I'd never come back to Lenovo. I had a Samsung Series 7 Slate but returned it because of screen issues and X230T attracted me with a very low price.
I'm trying to settle with X230T, but three leg standing problem is one of the most unforgivable problem that I'm facing. I was going to suck it up, but then I tried rocking a X220T in laptop mode, and it was rock stable like any laptop should be.

Edit:

I just watched through my own video I recorded a year ago and realize how boring it is. haha. If I ever make another video, I'll try to make a video after some booze Smiley Happy

Compared to X220T's digitizer accuracy, I can say that X230T is much better, I can at least click on Onenote icon with one attempt, and also click on the pens and tools that I put on the Ribbon interface of Onenote.

It's still not that good on the left and right edges though. To scroll the paper, I have to be careful and pay attention to where the dot is on the screen.

XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 5,753
Message 7 of 16

I'm the original author of that thread. The full topic can be viewed on the official Lenovo forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/X230t-first-impressions-Fail-Build-qual...

I won't bother responding about the laptop, as I've already discussed it all in that thread, and it seems like everything that could be said has been said. I will say that Lenovo refunded me and waived the restocking fee, and I definitely gave the laptop a fair shake. I verified that I wasn't imagining or exaggerating the issues by having friends inspect it before I even told them what my issues were with it. Lenovo headquarters themselves looked at the laptop and said it wasn't a lemon, so I wasn't going to buy another one and bet against their engineers giving their honest opinions.

I'm still using my X201t and will be for the foreseeable future, or until a better tablet comes out.

Just for the record, my name doens't mean "ex-thinkpad user," but "X ThinkPad User." Early on a mod essentially claimed my opinions were worth burying because, in part, he didn't like my name.

ttran
SCSI Port
Views: 5,738
Message 8 of 16

hey XThinkpadUser

I'm sorry for arguing with you about X230t earlier. I love thinkpad so much that I was blind in admit the problem. X230 tablet is sucks, feel like toy. It is powerful, but not rock-solid and reliable anymore Smiley Happy
XThinkpadUser
Token Ring
Views: 5,694
Message 9 of 16

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience too, TTran. Maybe we should start a comic where we illustrate everyone's problems on this board.

I really wanted to love the X230t Smiley Sad

hp79
HDMI
Views: 5,690
Message 10 of 16

Good to see you guys getting along haha.

I'm praying that my second X230T magically doesn't have the problems everyone experienced. Who knows, they sometimes do revisions. Oh, and unicorns are real, right?

Lenovo should hire guys like us to go over their machine before it's released to public, and have us report every single tiny defects.
I really wonder if they have a quality control team at all, or is it that their bar is this low. Or am I being an ass picking on small things?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals