cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abbo05
Punch Card
Views: 4,155
Message 1 of 15

BitLocker prevented from working by Rescue and Recovery Partition?

Hello,

I am attempting to use BitLocker on my X61 Tablet ThinkPad but have run across an error message that is preventing me from initializing the BitLocker encryption. The message reads as follows: "Your system is not configured to use BitLocker Drive Encryption. If there is a bootable CD or DVD in your computer, remove it...if the problem persists, contact the computer manufacturer for BIOS upgrade instructions." I have run the BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool which has created its own boot drive (SSmiley Happy and that program tells me that all is in order.  Additionally, I have verified that I have a fully updated BIOS.

There is no bootable CD or DVD in the computer but there is what I assume to be Lenovo's Recovery software on a hidden and unalterable drive that appears in Disk Management. I cannot make changes to this drive; it is labeled only as"Healthy" and "EISA Configuration."

Is this recovery drive the culprit that is preventing BitLocker from working? And if so, can it be disabled or BitLocker tricked into functioning while it is still present?

Thanks for your help!

Former Employee
Views: 4,099
Message 2 of 15

Re: BitLocker prevented from working by Rescue and Recovery Partition?

You might want to take a look at the Rescue & Recovery Deployment Guide which can be downloaded from the Admin Tools page:   http://www.lenovo.com/thinkvantageadmin

There is a section in there about  compatibility with Vista BitLocker. 

abbo05
Punch Card
Views: 4,085
Message 3 of 15

I looked in the section of the Rescue and Recovery Deployment guide that related to Vista BitLocker compatability but was not able to find a solution that worked. I uninstalled the Rescue and Recovery software but the hidden boot partition still appears in Disk Management and BitLocker gives me the same error message.
Former Administrator
Views: 4,038
Message 4 of 15

Abbo05,

Some additional thoughts about the general error message - some items to check. 

Could be something as simple as the boot order?

Hardware and software requirements

A computer that meets the minimum requirements for Windows Vista.

A TPM microchip, version 1.2, turned on. (Scenarios 2 and 3).

A Trusted Computing Group (TCG)-compliant BIOS (Scenarios 2 and 3).

Two NTFS drive partitions, one for the system volume and one for the operating system volume. The system volume partition must be at least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) and set as the active partition (Scenario 1).

A BIOS setting to start up first from the hard drive, not the USB or CD drives.

For more information about Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide, please access the url below from Microsoft Technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295.aspx

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-05-2008 07:38 PM
abbo05
Punch Card
Views: 4,024
Message 5 of 15

I reviewed my boot order in the BIOS and ensured that the hard disk was #1 for startup. I played around with some of the other items on the startup boot list and removed all those that related to a CD of any kind from the boot list...still no fix.
abbo05
Punch Card
Views: 3,987
Message 6 of 15

I got in contact with the BitLocker Project Director and he provided me with a workable solution. I updated my MBR per this Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 The use of the Bootrec.exe tool and the /FixMbr option on the Vista installation disc rectified the problem. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Former Administrator
Views: 3,924
Message 7 of 15

abbo05,

That is absolutely fantastic, and a great example of the kind of contribution that makes this forum a success.

Thanks so much for coming back and making the answer available to others! Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Mark

bill_v
What's DOS?
Views: 3,688
Message 8 of 15

I have the same exact problem as you, but I don't have a dock and I can't boot to a Vista DVD to fix the master boot record?  Do you have a dock?  How can I follow those instructions with no CD / DVD drive in my systeM?

Bill

abbo05
Punch Card
Views: 3,672
Message 9 of 15

You will need to be able to boot from your Vista DVD via an external DVD optical drive in order to use the command prompt feature in the "Repair" menu of the Vista DVD. I have an external DVD drive that connects to my computer via USB. Check out this link for what you will need to buy if you do not already have one:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:show-categor...

bill_v
What's DOS?
Views: 3,665
Message 10 of 15

There has to be a way with having to buy an external drive!  Someone please help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors