Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeardyTim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,677
Message 1 of 6

Bought as genuine new, possible fake 44+ battery

Hi all - I recently purchased what I believed to be a genuine 44++ Lenovo 9 cell battery, however a few things have caused me to suspect it might not be genuine. When it arrived the sticker was loose as shown in one of the photos below, I thought Lenovo serial numbers had to be 22 characters and this only has 20? 

The batteries I can see under the loose sticker I believe are the correct type though for the model? So perhaps the sticker was just loose and the serial number is fine and I'm worrying over nothing.

Any ideas anyone? I tried to contact Lenovo on Facebook but had no response, can't find a support email address and can't raise a new ticket as I don't have a working serial number to use.

Thanks

Tim

IMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0109.jpg

carpediem90
Token Ring
Views: 1,661
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bought as genuine new, possible fake 44+ battery

This is a fake battery with no doubt. In general, we don't want to give public details why it's fake, so producers could possibly fix issues after.

Anyway, from my recent experience, all of these are using LG or Samsung cells which are actually good and durable. Are you satisfied with battery life?

If you purchased it on eBay, I advise you to contact the seller and ask for a full refund, especially if it was advertised as "genuine".

In that way, after significant amount of refunds for "genuine" batteries, maybe we can impact that market.

ThinkPad T61, T420, T440p
Moto Z Play
BeardyTim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,651
Message 3 of 6

Hi there - thanks for getting back to me.

I'll contact the seller and query this then as it wasn't cheap it was almost as much as the genuine one direct from Lenovo! I've only been using it for a day so unsure on the battery life, but from what I read it's the life span of the fakes that is the problem not the original battery capacity.

Can I ask do you work for Lenovo? Just so when I message the guy I can say I spoke to a Lenovo member of staff?

carpediem90
Token Ring
Views: 1,645
Message 4 of 6

No, I don't work for Lenovo, but I own and saw a few of these in the last couple of months. 
Did you purchase it from China (eBay, Aliexpress) or it was some local shop? 

Usually, sellers know what they are selling and after you contact them, they give you a full refund with no questions asked. Nowadays, these batteries look genuine at the first look and many people use them carefree, as they are convinced that they bought a genuine one.

BTW, did you measure the weight of that battery? I think it shouldn't be much different or lighter than the original one, from my experience. That could mean that you actually got genuine LG cells in it. 

Moto Z Play
BeardyTim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,633
Message 5 of 6

Yeah it did come from eBay (Vonavi LTD) but it's a UK seller advetising them as genuine.

I've not weighed it, but the batterys I could see inside seem to be the correct type based on the code I could see (lgabc21865) these are listed as LG's 2800mAh online which are correct for the Lenovo 44+ battery for an X220. 

I don't want to email and accuse someone of selling fake batterys unless it is fake for sure, hmmm not sure what to do! Wish Lenovo could just check the serial number and confirm 100%.

carpediem90
Token Ring
Views: 1,631
Message 6 of 6

I'll contact you and give you some more details on PM.

Moto Z Play

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors