Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ajkessel
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 75
Message 1 of 4

Can't complete Windows 10 install on x220 - Memory Management/BSOD and other errors

I see from this forum that others have successfully installed Windows 10 in the past on x220, but I'm now unable to complete a fresh install (starting from an external USB drive). The install process frequently crashes; sometimes I get to the point where the install from the external disk works and I'm rebooting into the internal drive, but I've never gotten as far as a login screen. I frequently get a "Memory Management Stop" BSOD or just reboots.

I understand if I can get into a fully booted system, I could then install Lenovo drivers and perhaps get a workable system, but since I can never complete the install process, I don't have this option.

Any ideas for how I can get through enough of an install to get this laptop working again?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 42
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can't complete Windows 10 install on x220 - Memory Management/BSOD and other errors

I know that some older hardware has more windows 10 problems with later builds of the OS.  I don't know if that is your issue.  How much memory do you have?  Have you run a memory and disk test before starting?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ajkessel
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 39
Message 3 of 4

Re: Can't complete Windows 10 install on x220 - Memory Management/BSOD and other errors

I have run memory and disk tests.

The laptop has 8GB of RAM.

After multiple attempted installs, I finally was able to get far enough to boot into the regular OS. I don't think I did anything differently--it just randomly worked with repetition. But now that I'm booted into the regular OS, I'm still getting frequent BSOD's, so it's not really usable.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 26
Message 4 of 4

Do you have the latest BIOS?  Install Lenovo Vantage to get driver updates.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors