Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boldtrn
Paper Tape
Views: 684
Message 1 of 4

Charge X220 in a Car

Hi,

I am currently trying to figure out what's the best way to charge my X220 in my car.

Basically, I see two possibilites:

- Use a DC AC Power Inverter and plug in my geniuine 230V chager into the inverter

- There are different inverters, does it work with a modified sine wave inverter or do I need a pure sine wave inverter?

- Use a DC DC charger

- I could only find these cheap chinese chargers and I am bit concerned they might fry my X220

- I've seen the Lenovo Combo Charger, however it is not really available in Australia, it might be possible to get a used one sent from the US or Europe, but might take a while and will cost a lot

Anyone has experience with either of the solutions and can recoomend something? Maybe there is even a 3rd solution?

Cheers,

Robin

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 661
Message 2 of 4

Re: Charge X220 in a Car

Hi Robin and welcome to the community,

A modified sine wave inverter can be used for simple systems that don’t have any delicate electronics or audio equipment that may pick up the choppy wave and produce a hum. Old tube TVs and motors with brushes are usually ok with modified sine wave. Your digital clock will likely act funky, and battery rechargers quite often just plain won’t work. Some equipment may seem to be working fine, but may run hotter than with a pure sine wave and reduce the life of it.

Take heed if you’re considering buying a modified square wave inverter to shave a few bucks off your system costs. A whole raft of modern appliances won’t run as well and some not at all on this waveform.

I'd also stay away from aftermarket DC to AC chargers. Here's one on Ebay that is correct and it is located in China, so shipping shouldn't be a problem.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Lenovo-90W-AC-DC-charger-X1-Tip-F-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-3444-FAU-Ultrab...

I used power inverters before and they do work, just some better than others.  It does put a strain on the Cig lighter and I've had fuses blow using them.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
boldtrn
Paper Tape
Views: 602
Message 3 of 4

Hi Dave,

thank you so much for the detailed reply and searching a charger on ebay!

I always thought that sending from China to Australia would be pretty easy, however it still takes 1 Month+ to send it. Also the price of a pure sine wave inverter is approximately the same as the charger from ebay, so right now I tend to buy a pure sine wave inverter instead, as this would also allow me to power other equipment (even though my laptop is mot important Smiley Happy). I think running a Thinkpad with a pure sine inverter should't be an issue? As you said you also used them in the past.

Cheers,

Robin

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 596
Message 4 of 4

It shouldn't be in issue, let me know which one you get and whether it works for you.  I would have thought that shipping from China to Australia wouldn't have been a problem, it takes about 3 weeks for me to get something from China to the US on Ebay.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors