cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkiff
Punch Card
Views: 925
Message 1 of 8

Critical Thunderbolt Update - Lenovo Vantage fails install, manual instructions incorrect

Although I am running a fully patched system, when Lenovo Vantage failed when I tried to install the "Critical Intel Thunderbolt Software and Firmware Updates - ThinkPad" (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/Critical-Intel-Thunderbolt-Software-and-Fi...). I tried several times and then decided to come here and find out if others were experiencing issues.

I decided to follow the manual install procedures available at the link provided in the pinned thread. While following those procedures, I noticed that several of the instructions provided were incorrect (e.g., how to find version number of current Thunderbolt firmware from the tray icon). And others were not particularly helpful (e.g., please ensure that Thunderbolt device is attached before updating firmware - this is both unclear and incorrect - I updated my Thinkpad with just the power adapter attached - is that a Thunderbolt device? If yes, then why don't the instructions say so, since they already demand that you attach a power adapter before proceeding?).

Through the update process, I found that I already had the correct Thunderbolt software package present (v17.4.78.500), but I did not have the latest Thunderbolt firmware version applied (I had version 40 instead of 43). Perhaps this is related to why the update through Lenovo Vantage failed, I don't know.

In any case, I'm not accustomed to installing firmware patches when instructions are inaccurate or don't match expectations, so I thought I'd post a note here for other Thinkpad X1 Carbon Tablet 3rd gen owners who may run into the issue.

If any Lenovo folks are following in here, I'd be happy to send you screen shots and explanations of what happened in my specific case. I'm sure there will be other owners who face similar issues, since I've just been doing automatic recommended and critical updates to my machine along with standard Windows 10 updates.

Phil.

DrJJ
Paper Tape
Views: 740
Message 2 of 8

Re: Critical Thunderbolt Update - Lenovo Vantage fails install, manual instructions incorrect

where you able to solve this problem? i seem to have it as well with usb ports not working (only for charging...)

pkiff
Punch Card
Views: 723
Message 3 of 8

Re: Critical Thunderbolt Update - Lenovo Vantage fails install, manual instructions incorrect

I did not have the same problem you describe? (usb ports working only for charging). My problem was that the "Critical" Thunderbolt Update install failed and that the instructions for installing manually were incorrect.

Since that time, I have had several new Thunderbolt firmware updates.

Are you using Lenovo Vantage to find updates? Is there a Thunderbolt update that is failing to install? If so, then if you provide more details, I can provide more explanation.

If you have a USB problem where a USB device is not recognized and the USB port will only charge that device, then I would recommend starting a new thread. That is not a problem I have experienced.

vorul
Paper Tape
Views: 627
Message 4 of 8

Hey Phil, I'm having a similar issue. The official installation for my thinkpad x1 tablet gen 3 (20KJ-0011US) via Lenovo Vantage/System Updater fails to install.  It's trying to install n1ztf44w (Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility).

I tried running the powershell scripts but I don't even have any Thunderbolt drivers installed on the brand new laptop, so the scripts for determining the software and firmware version just fail.

The thunderbolt 3 about says my software package is a later update than the one in the thread you linked (17.4.78.21), but the NVM version is 33, so I guess I should install N1ZTH08W and update to NVM firmware version 43? It's a little confusing and hopefully someone can provide some guidance.

thunderbolt 3 version.png

pkiff
Punch Card
Views: 618
Message 5 of 8

Yes, I think you should try installing the Thunderbolt firmware update manually.

I also find it all a bit confusing, but my system is currently running the exact same drivers as yours (all my version numbers in the "Thunderbolt Software" box match yours. And in the "Thunderbolt Controller" box, mine is all the same except the NVM Firmware says 43 instead of 33.

Part of what's confusing is that the packages are confusingly named.
firmware "Build ID" n1ztf44w - aka v17.0.0.3-N1ZTF44W is contained inside the firmware package named n1zth08w. This firmware package has a date of  2019-08-05 or 2019-08-09 depending on where you look. Regardless, the one that I used is the exact same one currently recommended and still available here:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/thinkpad-tablet-series/thinkpad-x1-tablet-3rd-ge...

I plugged my X1 Tablet 3rd gen into power using the USB-C cable and adapter that came with my machine. And then I ran the "n1zth08w.exe" file downloaded from that page. And followed the instructions on screen (it almost runs unattended, I think). It didn't take long. And that's it, after rebooting, the new firmware version 43 showed up.

Phil.

vorul
Paper Tape
Views: 606
Message 6 of 8

Thanks, I downloaded n1zth08w.exe (17.0.0.3-N1ZTF44W) and installed The naming scheme is indeed confusing because you'd assume "F44W" would be the new firmware version, but after installing the "about" in the thunderbolt system tray says my firmware version is 43.

Like you said the installer first said to not unplug or plug in any thunderbolt devices (probably to not screw up the install). Then it asked for me to plug in a thunderbolt device. Like you did, I just used the stock adaptor. I'm thinking the overall intention is for the user to just not touch their thunderbolt 3 hardware (e.g. if you have a dock, just leave the dock powered and plugged in) to not mess with the driver update. It seems like it was flashing some firmware, so I would just keep it simple and use the OEM power adapter only. Having other stuff plugged into a dock is an additional complicating factor.

Thanks for your help Phil. Lenovo Vantage says I'm up to date so things are good for now.

Annotation 2019-12-15 141644.png

atsprink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 386
Message 7 of 8

Hello,

I am having a similar issues except I was able to get the firmware for the thunderbolt to update manually to v43.  However the package is still way behind and even the manual attempts to install fail.  I tried uninstalling the thunderbolt software 17.3.74.400 but I receive an error message that it "could not access the network location *:.".  I have the same error when trying to manually install the new version 17.4.80.550 (I think its thats the latest).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have attached the details of the thunderbolt software below.

image.png

pkiff
Punch Card
Views: 374
Message 8 of 8

I don't think your issue is the same as the one in this thread, atsrpink. You have a different Thunderbolt Controller listed (yours is 15D9, the Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd gen came with 15D2), and your machine appears to have only one controller, whereas ours has two.

The error(s) you are getting may be because you are trying to install the wrong firmware for your device? Don't use the firmware discussed in this thread, it won't work on your device.

I would recommend starting a new thread of your own, under the forum that matches whatever type of Thinkpad you have, and then someone may be able to help from there.

Phil.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors