cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnwlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 901
Message 1 of 4

Disaster - X220 tablet - screen black on reboot after installing Lenovo upgrades

Ihave owned a Windows 7 X220 Tablet for about 3 years, but never previously ugraded the Lenovo software on it.

I saw this was possible, ticked various upgrades and set it off to download and install.

On restarting the screen is black - with only a flat white cursor top left.

I called Lenovo who said they suspected a bios upgrade had conflicted with something else being installed at the same time (I had ticked multiple upgrades at once), and suggested Ilook and ask for help on the forum.

They said they thopught I needed to roll back the bios upgrade but Idon't know how to.

I run Trend Micro security suite which was not swithced off when I did the upgrade.

Any suggestions at all would be really welcome as the machine is effectively dead and unusable unless I can get it back to the previous set-up. ( Isuspect there are likely to be restore  points but cannot do anything at all at present)

Thanks very much    cnwlenovo 15 Feb 2015

cnwlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 897
Message 2 of 4

Re: Disaster - X220 tablet - screen black on reboot after installing Lenovo upgrades

Ihave just (after posting this request), and 2 weeks after the failed attempt to get the computer to restart, tried again with the laptop powered onto the mains - it must have completely lost battery power in the meantime, successfully rebooted into Windows, the machine installed Windows upgrqades as it booted, and restarted itself in the process.

Iliterally bit my nails as this was going on - and pleased to report the macjine now seems to have opened up OKin windows.

Phew!!!      Wonder if the "bad loop"it may have gotten into when Iwas tryoing to reboot several times before - resulting in black screen and white cursor top left - may have died with a complete power down.

In any event Iam hugely relieved - so Lenovo upgrades were obviously "self-correcting and troubleshotting after all....

Cnwlenovo 15 February 2015

Guru
Views: 886
Message 3 of 4

Re: Disaster - X220 tablet - screen black on reboot after installing Lenovo upgrades

TBH, if that was a bad BIOS upgrade I think you just lucked out. I'd definitely avoid running BIOS updates with other updates.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
cnwlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 880
Message 4 of 4

thanks – I will definitely not ever again run BIOS upgrades at the same time as anything else!  Very lucky it seems to have spontaneously killed itself on a reboot after a week without power!