cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castedo
What's DOS?
Views: 7,810
Message 1 of 7

Display cannot switch to secondary portrait with this configuration.

I have a X200 Tablet and when I am in tablet mode and rotate the screen to secondary portrait then after about 5 seconds the screen flips to primary portrait and the following error message pops up:

"Display cannot switch to secondary portrait with this configuration."

Secondary portrait is the orientation you want in order to hold the heavy thick side of the X200 tablet with your left hand.

I rotate the screen using either the hardward button or the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver software or ActiveRotate, in all these cases the forced flip and error message happen after a few seconds.

castedo
What's DOS?
Views: 7,809
Message 2 of 7

Re: Display cannot switch to secondary portrait with this configuration.

I am able to work around this problem by disabling TSMResident via Windows Defender (Tools -> Software Explorer then click "Show for all users" then select TSMResident then click Disable, then rebooting).

So I imagine this is a software bug with TSMResident.exe. which is shipped by Lenovo and is installed with the Tablet Shortcut software. 

Does anybody know what the proper way to report software bugs to Lenovo is? the support pages seem to have a ticketing system for hardware issues but not software.

castedo
What's DOS?
Views: 7,807
Message 3 of 7

The version of TSMResident.exe that I have is 4.08.
Highlighted
HypertextEye
Punch Card
Views: 7,780
Message 4 of 7

I used to have this problem. I was unable to rotate the screen at all. I uninstalled Access Connections and it stopped.
jonlumpkin
Token Ring
Views: 7,328
Message 5 of 7

I think I have traced down the cause of this problem (however, I still haven't found a fix).

This is related to the Wireless radios being turn on.  When I have the hardware switch turned off, I can hold secondary portrait mode indefinitely.  However, the hardware switch being on causes me to lose the ability.

If I am already in secondary portrait, it immediately flips me to Primary portrait  and displays the error message I have attached.  Conversely, if my radios are already on, it goes to secondary portrait for about 5 seconds before switching to primary portrait and displaying the same message.

Oddly enough, this only occurs in slate mode.  If I switch to secondary portrait when in standard notebook mode (not very useful, but I checked anyway), I don't have any problem at all.  Conversely, I cannot get secondary portrait AND Wi-FI when in slate mode. 

I have this problem in both XP Tablet and Vista Business 64-Bit (I dual boot).  Both operating systems are fully patched and are running the latest version of Access Connections (5.02 in XP, I'll check Vista later).  I have also updated my BIOS to 1.05, but the problem persists (I have always had it).

Hopefully this can be fixed in the next version of Access Connections and/or the BIOS.

Full Specs:

ThinkPad x200 Tablet

SL9400 Processor

Intel Wi-Fi 5100

Intel GMA x4500HD

285 nit WXGA LED Frameless AFFS+ 

Vista Business 64/XP Tablet/Ubuntu 8.10

320GB 5400RPM HDD

AT&T WWAN & Bluetooth (both off) 

Secondary Portrait error

gokousupasayan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,055
Message 6 of 7

Just found out why it gives this message.

It's a design feature.  You can find the "explaination" in the online service & troubleshooting manuals OR on your system through Access Help (press F1).  Though, you'll have to search really hard, Lenovo doesn't make it obvious.

Two reasons why Lenovo implemented this "feature":

1) It's the law - FCC rules regulations say WWAN antennas have to be a certain distance from the body to reduce radiation and health reasons.

2) Wireless Performance - When holding the tablet in the secondary portrait mode (battery on left, WWAN antenna on right) right-handed people tend to cover the antenna with their hands, and left-handed people end up covering it even more with their body/arm.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 6,053
Message 7 of 7

Great investigative journalism. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors