cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d_r
Not applicable
Views: 248
Message 1 of 4

Dying in-warranty battery on expired-warranty X201t; whom to contact?

The battery on my out-of-warranty X201t will only hold 2/3 of its original capacity (reset doesn't help, drivers and bios are all up to date).  The battery itself is relatively new (< 1 year) and so still under warranty.  Whom do I contact about replacement?   I've searched the Lenovo website and can't find the phone number or email for opening a ticket on an in-warranty accessory when the machine to which it is attached is out of warranty.

Thanks in advance.  DR

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 238
Message 2 of 4

Re: Dying in-warranty battery on expired-warranty X201t; whom to contact?

Hi,

I'd start with the standard support number:

United States
THINK-branded products
English
1-800-426-7378 
24 hours a day 7 days/week

Z.  ( in Kona ATM Smiley Happy )

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

d_r
Not applicable
Views: 224
Message 3 of 4

Well, that was fun.  Tech support said that they only do support on "hardware," which specifically does not include batteries(!).  He transferred me to "post-sales", who said they only did follow-ups on orders and that I should talk to tech support.  When I told him that's where I came from , post-sales transferred me to sales, who was very apologetic that I was being given the run-around, confirmed with his supervisor that there was nothing they could do, and offered to transfer me back to tech support but also offering to tell them not to transfer me out again to the sales universe.

This time I got someone in tech support who clearly wanted me to agree to pay a service fee for a consultation on my out-of-warranty laptop.  I insisted that there was nothing wrong with my laptop, but that it was the battery that was not working.  When I gave her the battery part number, she said that it was out of warranty.  I insisted that I'd bought it new from a legitimate merchant and it was less than a year old.  Finally she set up a process by which I can send them proof of purchase and if they confirm it they will set up a return ticket.  We'll see what happens.

The most interesting part of the conversation was that the first tech person said Lenovo only does service on batteries that they sell directly, otherwise "of course" I have to contact the dealer.  When I asked him if that meant that they wouldn't honor a warranty on a laptop purchased from a dealer instead of directly from Lenovo, he was silent for a while then changed the subject.

> ( in Kona ATM :smileyhappy:)

How's the lava?

David (around 170 miles west of you)

d_r
Not applicable
Views: 182
Message 4 of 4

Even more fun.  A battery finally arrived today, it was for one of the slim T-series machines.  Trying to straighten things out I started to get the same runaround, including a repeat of the statement that the Lenovo warranty on batteries is only valid for batteries you purchase from directly from Lenovo.

I might or might not have found someone willing to straighten things out.  We'll see.

David

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors