Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ncolaprete
Serial Port
Views: 3,886
Message 1 of 13

Enhanced Keyboard Dock Firmware Update Problem

I currently own a Thinkpad Helix, bought about two months ago. Up until now it has been well worth the price, and worked almost flawlessly. Just this morning, out of nowhere the keyboard and touchpad stopped working. I tried my usual solution, detaching and reattaching the dock, but it did nothing. I tried restarting my computer, and found that while it was plugged into the dock, I got a "Keyboard Dock Fan Error" and it would fail to start. I started looking around on these forums for answers, and it seems many people had the same problem I did. On one thread there seemed to be a link to this firmware update designed specifically to get rid of the problem I had. Upon installing it and running the application, it would freeze for about 5 seconds and then display this strange error message, "This tool and EC firmware mismatch, or communication error is happened." I can assure you I was connected to the internet at the time. So i looked at the readme, and it suggested updating the bios. When I tried that, it told me I already had the latest bios installed, and running the firmware update again afterwards gave the samw results. I don't know what to do, and i'd love some help on the matter.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,840
Message 2 of 13

Re: Enhanced Keyboard Dock Firmware Update Problem

Can you verify what bios and keyboard firmware you have installed now? 

The latest bios is version 1.14. 

You can check this by rebooting and hitting F1. The versions should be listed. The keyboard firmware is listed as MPU I belive. Then just hit F10 to close it once you're done.

ncolaprete
Serial Port
Views: 3,827
Message 3 of 13

My UEFI BIOS Version is 'GFET35WW (1.14)',
my Machine Type Model is '3697CTO',
and my MPU Firmware Version is... blank. That doesn't seem right...
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,817
Message 4 of 13

That is strange. I haven't seen this before. I'm not sure if you've tried this already but my only idea right now is to try and reset the dock. If that doesn't change anything, I can ask some other engineering team members if they have any other ideas/solutions on Monday. 

ncolaprete
Serial Port
Views: 3,790
Message 5 of 13

I tried resetting the dock like you suggested, and it immediately started working again. I then checked the bios, and the MPU Firmware Version had an entry in it: 'GFMT35WW (1.12)'. I then ran the firmware patch I linked to earlier and it ran without any troubles. Checking the bios again, the MPU Firmware Version was 'GFMT37WW (1.14)'. I'm no longer having any problems, I may revisit this thread if I do.

ncolaprete
Serial Port
Views: 3,709
Message 6 of 13

Just this morning a few days later, the problem came up again, same 'Keboard Dock Fan Error' on startup. I reset the dock again, and again it did work, but it seemed that the firmware patch didn't help at all. I checked the bios to make sure it wasn't corrupted by the malfunction or something, and thankfully it still said the same thing, 'GFMT37WW (1.14)'. I'm hoping there can be a permanent fix for this besides sending my keyboard dock over to Lenovo.

zbiejczuk
What's DOS?
Views: 3,689
Message 7 of 13

Hi there - I have exactly the same problem as described here... The only difference is that I can't reset the dock Smiley Sad or it doesn't work. Plus I'm not at home, but on holidays in France - but I still need to work. Really big disappointment, I only have used the computer for couple of days!!

EDIT: Uff, I tried harder and the reset indeed works. So the problem has been fixed for now and hopefully won't occur again. Maybe to describe the situation that led to it: playing HOMM4 in a really hot weather Smiley Happy

philsumm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,511
Message 8 of 13

I have precisely the same error/problem, particularly the mismatch message on installing the so called Fix - that is poor quality control Lenovo, please fix urgently, this is important and expensive business kit not a toy that can be put to one side till it works again

jacksonbegg
What's DOS?
Views: 3,482
Message 9 of 13

I followed all the instructions and got it to work.  i worked successfully on it until 5pm.  now I get the fan error and the keyboard no longer works

hungrig
Paper Tape
Views: 3,458
Message 10 of 13

Yesterday I installed the new dock firmware, version 1.15, from the 9th of September. I never had problems with the dock before, but I do now. It randomly stops charging during the working day, and then turns itself off without warning when the battery runs out (it should hibernate, but it doesn't). When turning it back on again, I have to restart a few times before I can get the dock to work again. The symptoms of the dock not working are that there's no charging, no USB, and no external display. If I plug charger, USB and monitor directly into the tablet, then it all works.

If I'd known how unreliable this laptop was, I then I would have bought a regular ultrabook, and Android tablet, and spent the balance on some good wine...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals