Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NightOnTheWeb
SCSI Port
Views: 524
Message 1 of 3

Getting a new drive for my loyal x200t

Hello everybody!

I am a proud owner of a loyal Lenovo Thinkpad X200t (yes, the tablet version!). Product number: 7449C8G. I am running windows 7 on its original 7200 rpm HDD, but i really feel the need for an upgrade of the hard drive to speed it up. I know this machine is kind of old, but i would like to use it again for the next couple of years before thinking of buying something new.

I would like to buy and SSD drive of about 500GB to use it on this machine (and maybe on other laptops after it). I have two questions about this matter:

1) every 2,5 inch SATA drive will fit? What about the thickness? I know that some drives (both HDD and SSD) can be 9,5 mm or 7 mm thick. What size should i get? The current HDD drive is a hitachi HTS725016A9A364 (i have read this id number using the software CrystalDiskInfo). How thick is the slot? If it is 9,5 mm thick, can i buy a thinner drive anyway?

2) Aside from the "size" problem, what about the brand/model to choose? Regardless of precise prize comparisons (living in different countries might lead to small price differences) is there a Brand wich is widely renowned for high compatibility with the thinkpad line? Since i am planning on using the drive on other machines (in the future), is there anything i shuld keep in mind for high compatibility in general? Maybe avoiding certain line of products in favor of others?

Thanks in adavce for any suggestion and insight.

Best regards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my system:
Lenovo B50-80 - Full Product Number: 80EW 0192IX with Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 470
Message 2 of 3

Re: Getting a new drive for my loyal x200t

1. The bay is designed for 9.5mm drives. You can use 7mm drives as well but may need to add cardboard or similar spacers. Since you intend to use the SSD in the future on other systems, your best option is probably a 7mm drive. (Some SSDs come with a plastic spacer so that they can fit either 7mm or 9.5mm bays without modification.

2. The brands with the best reputation are Samsung, Crucial and Intel. But virtually all name brands should work. Note that the SATA interface is only version II (3Gb/s) whereas all SSDs made in the past few years are SATA III (6Gb/s.) Drives are compatible but you won't likely benefit from their maximum speeds. Still any SSD will be much faster than the HDD you replace.

SCSI Port
Views: 392
Message 3 of 3

Re: Getting a new drive for my loyal x200t

Thank you very much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my system:
Lenovo B50-80 - Full Product Number: 80EW 0192IX with Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
Top Kudoed Authors