Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VrahoK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,847
Message 1 of 5

[HELIX] Black screen with HDMI over keyboard dock

Hi everyone, I just came across a weird issue with my Helix: When I connect my Helix including keyboard dock via HDMI to my TV the screen stays black. I checked following things: - Sound is working over TV - Screen connection is detected by Helix and also by TV (otherwise screen would be blue) - HDMI connection is working if I directly connect the tablet with the same adapter to the TV - RGB adapter is working fine also inclunding the dock I have the current driver and BIOS updates installed. Does anyone encounter the same issue or knows how to solve it? Might be either a driver or HW issue with the dock I suspect. Thanks for any input on this! Markus
azbiker
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,811
Message 2 of 5

Re: [HELIX] Black screen with HDMI over keyboard dock

If I do not use the Win-P or Ctrl-F7 key combination to change it to Duplicate Screen, then it may go automatically to "Second Screen only" which seems to be occurring in your situation.

If the setting wont change after the screen goes blank, then it could b a driver issue.  If you opted the latest device driver like I did, and this still happens, I'd say it is a driver issue. However, when I made a presentation to day, it automatically switch to the proper "Duplicate setting" screen option. So perhaps yours is an intermittent problem.

Go to control Panel, Power Options, then Click on Windows Mobility Center at the bottom of the page. You will displays and toggles for External displays and for presenter mode right there. Click those to see if you get any changes. You can see if your computer thinks a second screen is attached or not, and it you are in projection mode or not. 

Does the computer go back to normal after disengaging the HDMI? If so, set it to duplicate screens and then re-connect it, if the screen goes dark there must be another setting that is off.

If you are using the WiDi software that might also be the culprit, check those settings. Hope this helps in some way.

I discovered on mine that I could run a Powerpoint presentation fine, but when I try to switch over into presenting a movie clip or website, it would only show my screen saver. I still needed to use the Win-P or Cntrl-F7 key toggle to send the signal for those applications. Just seems weird, it just an idiosyncrasy I gather. 

VrahoK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,808
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your hints. Sorry I was not very specific on the issue, it is not connected to the type of secondary screen usage (extension or duplication). To be more clear: only the TV screen is black, the Helix screen is working fine. I tried different modes (extension, duplication, 2nd screen only) but in HDMI via dock configuration the TV screen just shows no image. I can clearly see that it is detected by Windows as also the sound is working over the HDMI. For now I think I'll file a HW issue and try to get my keyboard replaced. Maybe that helps. I'm not sure if this is a HW issue, as RGB connection is working fine, but I tried everything that came to my mind on SW-side (driver downgrade, WiDi settings,...)
azbiker
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,805
Message 4 of 5

And you are sure it is not a setting on the TV? if the computer is correct, sending the correct setting, and the audio is working, it could be a TV issue, unless it worked well before and now has stopped. But if never worked before I'd say you need to change from analog to digital or from digital to analog to see which one works. I had to do that on my tv.

jss127
Paper Tape
Views: 1,741
Message 5 of 5

I have the same problem.  When screen comes back up using the display port connection to an HP 2159 monitor it's black but I can see a small margin around the edges so I know the port is working.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors