cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johneric
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,622
Message 1 of 4

Hard Drive Replacement - Slight Wiggle/Movement (in drive of proper spec/dimensions)

Question:

Is it problemmatic if a replacement hard drive does not fit precisely snug in the drive bay?

IE - if there is very slight wiggle or movement.

If so,any suggestions about ways to snug up the fit?

Background:

The computer in question is a new Thinkpad X201 Tablet (which is a great little machine).

I upgraded my hard drive from the 320gb stock drive to Western Digital Scorpio Black 500gb.

The new hard drive's dimensions are approximately the same as the stock drive - standard 2.5" drive, (9.5mm height; 100mm deep).

When I replaced the drive, however, I realized that there is a slight difference in size between the stock drive and the upgrade, maybe a bit less than 1mm in width.

This amounts to a bit of left to rigtht movement - not much, but enough to describe it as a slight wiggle.

I replaced the drive according to the instructions, using the rubbers rails in the same way that the prior drive was mounted.

The drive functions fine, but I am concerned that the subtle movement would ruin the connection over time - is that a valid concern?

If so, any suggestions for how to tighten this little bit of movement up?

Can I simple by some thing rubber from the hardware store, clean it thoroughly, and then "shim" the sides until the wiggle is gone? Or are there different thickness rubber rails that you can buy?

Thanks in advance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,573
Message 2 of 4

Re: Hard Drive Replacement - Slight Wiggle/Movement (in drive of proper spec/dimensions)

a wiggly hard drive probably isn't a good thing.  those rails only come in one size. you mentioned a hardware store. how about a piece of rubber roofing?  you can cut it to size with sissors and fold it double if you have to.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,569
Message 3 of 4

Re: Hard Drive Replacement - Slight Wiggle/Movement (in drive of proper spec/dimensions)

johneric, welcome to the forum,

as you don't mention it, I felt the need to ask as it would also make a difference; did you transfer the metal caddy from the old to the new drive?  Inserting a drive without the caddy would make it seem a little wiggly.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

johneric
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,544
Message 4 of 4

topmahof,

Thanks for confirmation re the wiggle and rail sizing.

andyP,

Thanks for the welcome, and for checking basic assumptions.

The wiggle was caused by my being an ignoramous and forgetting the change the metal caddy.

It's now nice and snug.

Best!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals